Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Even he looked embarrassed about being awarded that. Wasn't even the best Argentinian in my view, Mascherano had a better tournament.
I think Messi and Ronaldo belong in the pantheon of all time greats along side the likes of Pele, Maradona, Cruyff etc.
Best ever, no idea. One man's meat is another man's gravy so to speak.

Was just really interested, and I tend to agree.

Goes to show, though, what a shit way to evaluate a player's value international tournaments are though. No one would argue either of those are better than Messi.

Nope, but when it comes to splitting Messi and Maradona, Maradona's superior tournament performances count for a lot.

Nope, but when it comes to splitting Messi and Maradona, Maradona's superior tournament performances count for a lot.

Were they really though? He had a great tournament in 86, but in 90 Argentina finished 3rd in their group, lost to Cameroon, drew Romania, and beat the Soviets. Only advanced over Yugoslavia and Italy on penalties. The Argentines only scored 5 goals in the entire tournament. He also never played in a Copa final.

I don't think that's enough on the international stage to make up for the significant difference in club honours. Maradona won 2 Serie A titles, a Copa Italian, and a UEFA Cup with Napoli, and a Copa del Rey with Barca.

Messi has won 16 major honours (only counting league titles, European titles, and major domestic cups) thus far, and played in 4 major international finals.

To me, he's better than Maradona. But really it's all splitting hairs, they're both great and so we're Pele, Cruyff, Eusebio, Beckenbauer, Puskas, both Ronaldos, etc. Really I think everyone just chooses the one that strikes more of a chord with them or a lot of times the one that was great in their youth when football had a greater meaning in their life.

Ha ha. You rather rushed past '86 where on bumpy pitches he was simply unplayable. I've never seen one player have such an effect at a WC. He drove Argentina to the trophy with unbelievable skill and determination.

Argentina were a poor side in '90 and he was pilled up as we all know. *Glosses over*.

As to honours, I think the comparison is a little unfair. Messi has played his entire career for one of the very best teams in the world. It stands to reason that he will have won more at club level. Maradona had 2 years at Barca before they were the team they are now, and transformed Napoli's fortunes almost single handedly.

As you say it is splitting hairs, but Maradona's '86 WC performance does it for me.

Ha ha. You rather rushed past '86 where on bumpy pitches he was simply unplayable. I've never seen one player have such an effect at a WC. He drove Argentina to the trophy with unbelievable skill and determination.

Argentina were a poor side in '90 and he was pilled up as we all know. *Glosses over*.

As to honours, I think the comparison is a little unfair. Messi has played his entire career for one of the very best teams in the world. It stands to reason that he will have won more at club level. Maradona had 2 years at Barca before they were the team they are now, and transformed Napoli's fortunes almost single handedly.

As you say it is splitting hairs, but Maradona's '86 WC performance does it for me.

I was 2 years old in '86, so I don't really remember it. I'm willing to concede to your knowledge on that point.

:avbshock:

Well your comments on the '90 WC were pretty sharp from a 6 year old's PoV. ;)

Oh, I had to look up the details without a doubt! But I went to look them up because I remember being disappointed in Argentina's quality and Maradona not scoring. I was playing on a youth team with 2 Argentine brothers who thought Maradona was god. I remember it being on some shit cable channel over here and we had to meet up over at another kid's house to watch matches.

I'm sorry my childhood offended you. On the topic of things more offensive, your being a cunt makes the list.

:dembelefingers:
Honestly man, fucken Americans. No place in a football conversation for those absolute cunts. They are guilty as fuck. Take your guilty, bloodsoaked hands and sort your shit out. That you spend time making up fake football histories on here while your decaying society infects the peaceful, well, it makes me sick.

Scots are up there.
Up there with the most important contributors to civilisation? I fully agree.

You, however, are down with the varmints. Your syphilitic consciousness can think of nothing more than your imminent disgraceful demise; it is clouding your judgement. You abuse all Scots without justification. You are the arch-cunt

Up there with the most important contributors to civilisation? I fully agree.

You, however, are down with the varmints. Your syphilitic consciousness can think of nothing more than your imminent disgraceful demise; it is clouding your judgement. You abuse all Scots without justification. You are the arch-cunt
All those words just to call me a cunt. Haha.

:adethumbup:

Honestly man, fucken Americans. No place in a football conversation for those absolute cunts. They are guilty as fuck. Take your guilty, bloodsoaked hands and sort your shit out. That you spend time making up fake football histories on here while your decaying society infects the peaceful, well, it makes me sick.

Qualify for a major tournament, already. You worthless Scots have never been out of a group stage ffs. Sort yourselves out before you go claiming the high ground in football. When you exist in the shadows of both Irelands and the Welsh, you should be embarrassed.

Qualify for a major tournament, already. You worthless Scots have never been out of a group stage ffs. Sort yourselves out before you go claiming the high ground in football. When you exist in the shadows of both Irelands and the Welsh, you should be embarrassed.
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom