Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Difference being that the F2 boys take 10+ shots to achieve what they show on their video. They certainly aren't doing it 90th minutes of elite level games consistently and without the wonder of editing.

And you don't hear about the umpteen other ones that don't go in

And you don't hear about the umpteen other ones that don't go in
You never do about anyone who misses free-kicks. Stop trying to portray that Messi gets special treatment not worthy of his ability.

Last article I read on the subject, Messi had one of, if not the, best free kick success percentage of any player in Europe. Better than Payet, Bale, Eriksen etc.

To have a pop about the free-kicks he misses not being documented is mental. When does anyone report that shit?

The fact is Messi scores a lot of free-kicks, under the most intense of pressures.

Respect that rather than downtred it.

Xavi has the best pass completion percentage of all time, but you never hear about his misplaced passes. Ledley King is one of the greatest tacklers of all time, but you never hear about his missed tackles.

It's a nonsense argument I'm afraid.

You never do about anyone who misses free-kicks. Stop trying to portray that Messi gets special treatment not worthy of his ability.

Last article I read on the subject, Messi had one of, if not the, best free kick success percentage of any player in Europe. Better than Payet, Bale, Eriksen etc.

To have a pop about the free-kicks he misses not being documented is mental. When does anyone report that shit?

The fact is Messi scores a lot of free-kicks, under the most intense of pressures.

Respect that rather than downtred it.

Stop rimming the bloke, as you're blinded by your own argument.

You can't say that F2 don't count because it takes them several attempts, then completely ignore the fact that Messi isn't knocking them in every time he has a free kick - he also has multiple attempts that he balloons.

He's not that special, he's just mollycoddled in a team that are in a weak league. That'll be his legacy, unless he leaves Barca and is subjected to the same environment as other players who are actually better than him.

Stop rimming the bloke, as you're blinded by your own argument.

You can't say that F2 don't count because it takes them several attempts, then completely ignore the fact that Messi isn't knocking them in every time he has a free kick - he also has multiple attempts that he balloons.

He's not that special, he's just mollycoddled in a team that are in a weak league. That'll be his legacy, unless he leaves Barca and is subjected to the same environment as other players who are actually better than him.
''not that special''

200.gif

Maradona was better. The pitches he played on and the fact he turned average teams into world beaters proves it. What he did for Napoli - never mind Argentina was astonishing.
Incredible player. It's much easier to have a top 5/10 as comparing eras is tough. There's no doubt this era has more games, more travelling and more fitness but better protection for attacking players, better facilities to improve, less tackling and better support.

I imagine the Puskas/Di Stefano/Matthews' etc. can argue similarly against Maradona's era of tougher balls, grounds and the like.

It's a matter of taste.

Im still of the opinion everyone trails the Brazilian Ronaldo and if it wasn't for injuries it'd be a lot clearer. But then I wouldn't argue hard against Messi, Maradona, Garrincha, Pele, Zidane, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Best or King.

People tend to favour their own eras. I for one have only seen the majority of those on reruns on Sky Sports, Documentaries or YouTube.

My era: Non better than Maradona and Zizou. A player that I missed and would loved to have seen is Best, as YouTube clips go he looked a god on the pitch and just as others have said to play the way they did on the shitty pitches, hard heavy footballs whilst being executed rather than tackled I can't have any other player above them.

Messi is by far the best of post Zizou.
Just seen this posted, it's just his link up with Alves and it's amazing, some of those angles!! But to think his link up with Xavi and Iniesta as well.........he's a special player.

Back
Top Bottom