Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No. He's probably top 5 though.

Ronaldo shits all over him for a start, Maradona and Pele both outshine him, I'd say Eusebio and him a pretty level.

No surprise the 50 year old South African virgin is obsessed with wank jokes.

Get laid man..remove the lego from your arsehole

Ronaldo,
apps goals assists Gl ratio
923 661 212 0.72

Messi,
apps goals assists Gl ratio
775 627 257 0.81

Messi for me, he contributes more to the team than Ronaldo

So according to Twitter, the final 3 in the Ballon d'Or are:

Modric
Griezmann
Varane

Fucking lol

What the fuck?

It’s as if Messi is being condemned for not hitting the same heights he has in the past. He’s still been the best player on the planet over the last year. By quite some distance too.

What the fuck?

It’s as if Messi is being condemned for not hitting the same heights he has in the past. He’s still been the best player on the planet over the last year. By quite some distance too.

It's clearly a team award now. As in, who has played for the most successful team over the last year? It's a joke really.

Will be 3 years since Messi last won the award. Within that time he has scored 154 goals. More than any other player on the planet.

It's clearly a team award now. As in, who has played for the most successful team over the last year? It's a joke really.

Will be 3 years since Messi last won the award. Within that time he has scored 154 goals. More than any other player on the planet.

It’s just a mockery these days. As crazy as it sounds, I actually don’t think Messi gets the acknowledgement he deserves. When he eventually retires (hopefully not for a while, as I can see him being a bit of a Pirlo for club and country in his mid 30s) I hope the people dishing out these awards hang their heads in shame. He’s a living legend and deserves to be regularly acknowledged as such when he’s churning out match-winning performances game after game.

It’s just a mockery these days. As crazy as it sounds, I actually don’t think Messi gets the acknowledgement he deserves. When he eventually retires (hopefully not for a while, as I can see him being a bit of a Pirlo for club and country in his mid 30s) I hope the people dishing out these awards hang their heads in shame. He’s a living legend and deserves to be regularly acknowledged as such when he’s churning out match-winning performances game after game.

I said it in the Poch thread. It's nearly getting to the point where he's becoming underrated because of how good he is and the level he's maintained for a decade.

We won't witness anything like him for a while and the records he's set will stand for our life time.

What the fuck?

For awards, only winners are considered, not players who havent come close to winning major trophies.

He won the domestic double last season. Was top goalscorer in the league and didn't lose a single league game he played in. Scoring just the 45 goals, maybe that wasn't enough.

Griezmann being there is absolutely pathetic. I can understand Varane for the fact he won CL and World Cup (only player to do so) and Modric bevause he's flavour of the year but to omit Messi or even Ronaldo is ridiculous.

But these individual awards are stupid. We all know Messi is the best footballer in the world and the fact that anyone would think these 3 players are better is ludicrous. Individually none of them had better calendar years than him.

Last edited:
So he will get considered for Spanish league player of the year. Not world or europe.

Seems a bit harsh. It’s not his fault that Argentina are shit. As for Europe, winning the CL seems like a shallow reason for being considered. Even on that criteria I’d put Greasy Ron and Salah on the list ahead of those three.

it's the impossible question unfortunately, taking playing conditions into account as an obvious measure. messi plays on manicured pitches, scything at the kneecaps is now banned.

puskas, eusebio, cruyff, pele, best, stefano, maradona, gascoigne weren't playing under the same conditions.

eye witness accounts also play a massive part. my grandad used to always mention eusebio for example. with my nephew it's messi. he can watch every second he's ever played. we get snippets of old black and white matches to compare. even games watching gascoigne in full are few and far between, or more; no where near the ease of access for full games of ronaldo or ibrahimovic.

Back
Top Bottom