Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It make me laugh that people believe you have to do it in different countries.

For starters, Messi has. He's played over 65 games in the CL away from Spain. Not to mention Copa Americas and World Cups.

Scholes only did it England? Maldini in Italy? Totti in Italy? Giggs, Ledley, Baresi, Puyol, Yashin?

Ronaldo stinks of jealousy.

It make me laugh that people believe you have to do it in different countries.

For starters, Messi has. He's played over 65 games in the CL away from Spain. Not to mention Copa Americas and World Cups.

Scholes only did it England? Maldini in Italy? Totti in Italy? Giggs, Ledley, Baresi, Puyol, Yashin?

Ronaldo stinks of jealousy.

Yeah, it's silly.

When you're staying competitive in Europe against the supposed worlds best, why even bother leaving? If you're happy at the club you've been at for 20+ years, they're paying you well and are competitive, why even ruin it? He has a family and is settled in Barcelona.

Winning things in multiple leagues (when you're playing for the biggest club in that league) doesnt make you any better than someone else.

Unless I am missing something and Maxwell is the best left back of all time? He's won the league in 4 different countries (Holland, Italy, Spain, France). The Champions League and 17 domestic trophies.

This thread motivated me to go and find as much footage and documentaries on Pele as I realised never really did see a lot from him, very impressed now. He looks like a player that was sent back from the future, the pure skills, the ability to do everything with boot feet. Seen him strike balls with both equally good, seen him lob goalies with both too.

Best or not is something I stay clear of but he ranks very high in the list of greatest.

But Zidane will always be the greatest player ever for me personally, the one player who's style of play and ability is everything I ve ever wanted to achieve as a player,that was the type of player I dreamt I could be when I started football, before he even appeared. And then i saw him play for Bordeaux the first time, and I realised that he was the perfect playmaker. What he did in that position and with such apparent ease and flair ...

Like Ronaldo (fat one) once said, when you play with zizou you just pick a position and the ball will come. Perfect pace and perfect curve, time and time again

Last edited:
But Zidane will always be the greatest player ever for me personally, the one player who's style of play and ability is everything I ve ever wanted to achieve as a player,that was the type of player I dreamt I could be when I started football, before he even appeared. And then i saw him play for Bordeaux the first time, and I realised that he was the perfect playmaker. What he did in that position and with such apparent ease and flair ...

Like Ronaldo (fat one) once said, when you play with zizou you just pick a position and the ball will come. Perfect pace and perfect curve, time and time again
Zidane was discovered by Lippi. Juventus started badly but Lippi told him to feel comfortable. He was released in the league against Inter. I saw him play in the semifinals of CL (stadium Delle Alpi, horrible) in Juventus-Ajax 4-1. Stellar player. Juventus sold him (him and Inzaghi) and bought Buffon, Thuram and Nedved + money.

Zidane was discovered by Lippi. Juventus started badly but Lippi told him to feel comfortable. He was released in the league against Inter. I saw him play in the semifinals of CL (stadium Delle Alpi, horrible) in Juventus-Ajax 4-1. Stellar player. Juventus sold him (him and Inzaghi) and bought Buffon, Thuram and Nedved + money.
Not discovered.by Lippi lol, he was already very good in France before he came to Juve. That Bordeaux team with Lizarazu and Dugarry played some awesome foot all at the timd

I would argue he was discovered by Cannes. Who had him in the first team aged 17

Not discovered.by Lippi lol, he was already very good in France before he came to Juve. That Bordeaux team with Lizarazu and Dugarry played some awesome foot all at the timd

I remember perfectly. Discovering in the sense of leading to being a champion. Bordeaux eliminated Milan in the UEFA Cup (1996): Juventus bought Zidane and AC Milan bought Dugarry. They were the two stars of the team and the difference was 1.5 billion lire. Lippi took him to high levels.

In Italy, from August to November, he struggled so much, then he broke up against Inter. When he went to Real Madrid he had already won the Intercontinental Cup (Juventus-River Plate 1-0 Del Piero), UEFA Super Cup, 1998 World Championship and 2000 European Championship plus the Golden Ball 1998.

Hipster-beard havin', carlos-kick-a-ball dwarf cunt.

Ya goin' doooown.... Enjoy yer throatful of lilywhite.

:tobyarm:

Messi is a great champion. If excluded Madrid 2018 the last 10 balls of gold have been awarded 5 to Messi and 5 to CR7 there will be a reason. I believe Chez Messi is the biggest pure talent. CR7 instead is talent mixed with a professionalism / commitment from ET. He lives his body like a sacred temple. The only drawback of Messi is the inability to do something outside of Barcelona. He failed to drag a national team with Higuain, Di Maria to very high levels. CR7 won a European Championship with Portugal, lower than other teams.

This thread motivated me to go and find as much footage and documentaries on Pele as I realised never really did see a lot from him, very impressed now. He looks like a player that was sent back from the future, the pure skills, the ability to do everything with boot feet. Seen him strike balls with both equally good, seen him lob goalies with both too.

Best or not is something I stay clear of but he ranks very high in the list of greatest.
Now do some searches on this fella:

Pele was a great footballer, everything was hyped around him because he played for Brazil in the World Cup at the age of 17!! I'm no judge or jury as it's before my time but read the experts of the day and all of them look to Garrincha as the greatest Brazilian footballer.

Last edited:
Now do some searches on this fella:

Pele was a great footballer, everything was hyped around him because he played for Brazil in the World Cup at the age of 17!! I'm now judge or jury as it's before my time but read the experts of the day and all of them look to Garrincha as the greatest Brazilian footballer.

Yeah. One was marketed well. One wasn't. Pele spoke English. Garrincha didn't. Who's easier to market to the world? Pele had fantastic PR.

That seems to be the key difference in terms of 'legacy' - most things I've ever read from Brazilians seem to confirm that Garrincha was as revered as Pele and basically won them the World Cup on his own ('62).

Hard to stay relevant though when you don't have goal and trophy stats like Pele does. (Even if he has overloaded it with friendly matches etc). It's almost as if everything possible was done to make sure Pele was known throughout history whereas Garrincha is mostly known for having bent legs, a huge cock and fucking a goat.

Yeah. One was marketed well. One wasn't. That seems to be the key difference in terms of 'legacy' - most things I've ever read from Brazilians seem to confirm that Garrincha was as revered as Pele and basically won them the World Cup on his own ('62).

Hard to stay relevant though when you don't have goal and trophy stats like Pele does. (Even if he has overloaded it with friendly matches etc). It's almost as if everything possible was done to make sure Pele was known throughout history whereas Garrincha is mostly known for having bent legs, a huge cock and fucking a goat.
And a cheating drunk.

Back
Top Bottom