Midfield whats the solution

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me a midfielder adds assists and goals. If it's because we are set up for them not to do so or to do so is a different thing altogether mate but ultimately I see it being an issue. As you've mentioned though that could easily not be down to them but if they aren't there to create in the current season especially and our full backs don't in healthy doses then who is?

This brings me to my next question.... do we to heavily rely on 2-3 players and does this allow others to go hiding a fair bit? I'd love to see the CM and FB assist numbers from the last few seasons of all top 10 clubs to see how our boys compare. Winksy is a lovely little footballer, surely he is better than 0.5 assists per season and if he is is that down to the player or the old gaffer bless him? Tricky issues the new boss faces if it ain't the latter.

Winks 1.0 (#8) would have got plenty of key-passes, if not assists. Winks 2.0 (DM) = a lightweight Scotty Parker. Yes, I believe Poch coached him that way. I think it's telling tho' that you didn't consider Dier for the above stat-list, when Winks has been playing that equivalent role for well over a year now.

More broadly, when we were successfully pressing and winning the ball high up the pitch (or with TA playing quarter back to DR & KW), there was enough creativity in a combo of HK, HMS, DA, EL, LM & CE to carry the load)... Now there's more requirement from our central midfield to at least spark attacks, but without the switch to 433 that our summer business hinted at we're not in a position to deliver on that front (we're not dominating the ball, creating a platform upon which to play - Dembele missed there! - or successfully feeding the creative aspect of our front 4 on a vertical basis).

I'd like to see N'dombele and Dier on Saturday with lo celso replacing lucas on the right so he can play narrower.
This
I think we should stick with this solution, until we will find a top DM to replace Dier. But at the moment this is the best solution for me
Lo Celso also needs to start, with Lucas as an impact sub

This
I think we should stick with this solution, until we will find a top DM to replace Dier. But at the moment this is the best solution for me
Lo Celso also needs to start, with Lucas as an impact sub
I think Lo Celso would thrive in the position Lucas has operated in recently. Dropping in as a secondary 10 to allow Aurier to bomb up the flank.

The good thing is mourinho isnt known for taking shit.

After last night he will have seen the issue. And will change stuff around.

The issue was lucas. Well he was the main issue. He was rubbish going forward but he was equally bad at tracking back so sissoko is constantly drifting out there and winks had no chance. To be fair rashford was brilliant but we should have reacted to that.

Again for me it's a 433. Dele can and has played that narrow right wide forward role to great effect he would be just off kane at an angle so in theory he could get more space.

Against most we could afford both lo celso and n'dombele in but against sides that have players like rashford sissoko could come in and do a job.

Also a word about kane. The midfield and defence were dreadful last night but defending starts from the front and i expect more from harry. He was totally ineffectual as both an attacker which to be fair isnt all his fault and a leader. He can set the tone of the press. Last night he was just there.

In the Premier League & Champions League:

Last 4 seasons with us.....2 assists (average of 0.5 assists per season)

4th season with us.... 11 assists (averages just over 2.5 assists per season)

Last 4 seasons with us..... 11 assists (average of just over 2.5 assists per season)

Last 4 seasons with us......11 assists (average of just over 2.5 assists per season)

3 seasons with us..... 10 assists (average of 3.3 assists per season)

2.5 seasons with us.....4 assists (average of 1.5-1.75 assits per season)

All in all we have crucial positions who simply put don't create enough for others. This, coinciding with an ageing defence sees us score less and ship more.

These 6 guys on average contributed what one Liverpool Full Back did in assists last season, not even their best full back either.

Virtually all the time Winks has been played as a DM - and that role does not have goals and assists as there top priority.

Winks is a no 8, and good at recycling the ball quickly, and actually quite good with forward passes etc - but being played as a 'safety first' (hence short passing) DM, which is very much a secondary position which he had never played in Spurs youth before Poch introduced him to it.

More Lo Celso and Ndombele. Less Winks and Sissoko.

I would like a fit Dier protecting our back four, Sissoko covering the FBs and breaking up play with Tanguay and Lo Celso driving forward

And a Guylian truffle advent calendar please

Virtually all the time Winks has been played as a DM - and that role does not have goals and assists as there top priority.

Winks is a no 8, and good at recycling the ball quickly, and actually quite good with forward passes etc - but being played as a 'safety first' (hence short passing) DM, which is very much a secondary position which he had never played in Spurs youth before Poch introduced him to it.

Except he doesn’t do much forward passing but maybe José can work on that

Except he doesn’t do much forward passing but maybe José can work on that

Winks can do forward passing but under the Poch requirement for Winks as a DM of 'Safety passing/don't lose the ball for possession football' forward passing which is inherently risky was not wanted.

The solution with our current personel we play 4-3-1-2

Aurier----Sanchez----Toby--- Rose /Jan

---------Dier ----Winks----Ndombele / Le Celso
-------------------aLI /Le Celso-----------------------
---------Son ------Kane---------

Dier always sits, Winks and NDombele provide variation in passes and supporting attacks
Ali/Le Celso in the AMC role provide the ammunition for Harry and Son.

So what you're saying is:

BRING BACK THE DIAMOND! :pochcry:

We desperately need a very good DM. That will go a long way towards improving our defence.

Wilmar Barrios would be ideal. If Zenit make it to the round of 16 of the CL, they may not be inclined to sell.

Still not sold on Wilmar. He is one hell of a destroyer, but he is very limited outside his work rate and tackling.
I would prefer someone with a bit more vision and dribbling ability.

From the little I have seen of Wilmar he is very simple. Wanyama is twice the footballer he is when it comes to spreading that ball around and we all no Vic was no Xavi out there.

The kid at Benfica, Luis, is someone we should take a chance on.

Dele gota lot of stick then his more forward role was resurrected to the team. But tonight i felt the reason he was brought deeper was on display our midfield our deep midfield. IF dele is deployed offensively who should be the deep midfielder.

This role use to be Dembele. Whose our next Dembele.

Presuming Eriksen goes that leave Lo Celso as competition for Dele and Lucas in a more advanced role, which I think we're all happy with. Moving Dele out of his current role would be lunacy

433 for me with dele playing on the right of a front three just off kane.

That let's us have a 3 man midfield to make up for the fact we dont have a decent partnership.

Thing is, Dele playing centrally in the three behind Kane is the best thing we've got going right now.

Maybe Dele as a second striker in a sort of 3-5-1-1?

Gazzaniga
Dav Toby Jan
Aurier Lo Celso Ndombele Son (?) Sessegnon
Dele
Kane

That's what I meant above, you have to restructure everything if no one can do a job as a holding midfielder.

The other thing that structure would do is hide our lack of proper wingers.

Thing is, Dele playing centrally in the three behind Kane is the best thing we've got going right now.

Maybe Dele as a second striker in a sort of 3-5-1-1?

Gazzaniga
Dav Toby Jan
Aurier Lo Celso Ndombele Son (?) Sessegnon
Dele
Kane

That's what I meant above, you have to restructure everything if no one can do a job as a holding midfielder.

The other thing that structure would do is hide our lack of proper wingers.

....That's fucking scary!!!!

We're like warm butter through the center as it is!

Back
Top Bottom