Midfield whats the solution

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The weird thing is I don't think Winks or Sissoko are bad players per'se. They just are not holding players and never will be, the two together in one player might be useful though! Winks is very much a metronome player and would suit a continental game, particularly Italy. Sissoko is an energy player and all bustle so has his uses as someone to break play up and close a game down. They just don't fit our current starting system.

If we can get Dier into good shape we can form a decent midfield even with Winks and Sissoko. The problem is when those two are asked to replicate what Dier and Dembele used to do, which is fucking mad. It’s what got Poch the sack and is the main reason we have been shit for a year.

Have we gone

Kane
Son Dele Lo Celso
Ndombele Whoever

One single time yet? That's the attack we scouted and paid for in the summer.

I've asked many people yet not had one answer.... GLC as RW? Why/how/when etc.?

Literally everyone in the summer spoke of GLC as a #8/#10.

...I'm convinced we bought:

TN / Winks / GLC

....but what with Ndombele being a bit of a let down in terms of mobility and GLC's false-starts, Poch got left scratching his arse.

In the PL & CL:

Last 4 seasons with us.....2 assists (average of 0.5 assists per season)

4th season with us.... 11 assists (averages just over 2.5 assists per season)

Last 4 seasons with us..... 11 assists (average of just over 2.5 assists per season)

Last 4 seasons with us......11 assists (average of just over 2.5 assists per season)

3 seasons with us..... 10 assists (average of 3.3 assists per season)

2.5 seasons with us.....4 assists (average of 1.5-1.75 aissts per season)

All in all we have crucial positions who simply put don't create enough for others. This, coinciding with an ageing defence sees us score less and ship more.

Bit harsh on Winks & Sissoko to consider them crucial in creativity terms considering how we've been set up.

Bit harsh on Winks & Sissoko to consider them crucial in creativity terms considering how we've been set up.

For me a midfielder adds assists and goals. If it's because we are set up for them not to do so or to do so is a different thing altogether mate but ultimately I see it being an issue. As you've mentioned though that could easily not be down to them but if they aren't there to create in the current season especially and our full backs don't in healthy doses then who is?

This brings me to my next question.... do we to heavily rely on 2-3 players and does this allow others to go hiding a fair bit? I'd love to see the CM and FB assist numbers from the last few seasons of all top 10 clubs to see how our boys compare. Winksy is a lovely little footballer, surely he is better than 0.5 assists per season and if he is is that down to the player or the old gaffer? Tricky issues the new boss faces if it ain't the latter.

Ndombele has to start the big games. No one of the midfield could break their press. GLC can do it to. They need to be in the centre of the park in some way shape or form. I think Alli needs to be on the left drifting in. Son on the right. Gotta have creativity as a must for Burnley who will have the low block bus parked.

Lo Celso - Winks - Ndombele

Lo Celso - Skipp - Ndombele

Some form of this. Put an extra body in the midfield instead of playing a shit house DM in Dier. Take Lucas off and play

Dele - Kane - Son

or

Lamela - Kane - Son

We need to get back to playing football, but I highly doubt that will be something Jose wants. I think we will continue to see a long ball game where we attempt to win the second ball and break.

This means we could be wasting some of our teams most threatening assets in Ndombele and Lo Celso making runs and linking the back to the front.

We need Eric Dier back in form desperately or bring in a very good DM. The only way to get Eric back in form is to play him. I hope he starts on Saturday alongside Ndombele or Lo Celso.

Winks has been poor for the most part but I want to see Mourinho give a midfield 2 of him and N'Dombele a try before he gets completely demoted to the bench.

We've not replaced big Vic and until we do we're gonna struggle. Best we've got right now is Dier and he's not the answer. Sissoko shouldn't be anywhere near the centre of midfield, it helped do for Poch and it helped do for us tonight. He doesn't want the ball off of the back 4! It's so counter intuitive it drives me mad, play him wide or not at all.

Tonight was utter dog shit, Jose gets time but that was an end of Spurs Poch performance tonight. Jose got it badly wrong, let's hope he learns from it.

I've asked many people yet not had one answer.... GLC as RW? Why/how/when etc.?

Literally everyone in the summer spoke of GLC as a #8/#10.

Yeah, no that's fair. He definitely played centrally at Betis.

In our pomp we were able to interchange in a way where both Dele and Eriksen were sort of #10's without getting in each other's way, so with Lo Celso as the theoretical Eriksen replacement you kinda slot him in there. But Eriksen and Dele are both pretty unique footballers, and there's no telling if Lo Celso can have the same sort of alchemy, especially not in a side so turgid elsewhere.

We've not replaced big Vic and until we do we're gonna struggle. Best we've got right now is Dier and he's not the answer. Sissoko shouldn't be anywhere near the centre of midfield, it helped do for Poch and it helped do for us tonight. He doesn't want the ball off of the back 4! It's so counter intuitive it drives me mad, play him wide or not at all.

Tonight was utter dog shit, Jose gets time but that was an end of Spurs Poch performance tonight. Jose got it badly wrong, let's hope he learns from it.

I've been saying this since before last January under Poch and been going mildly insane because of it.

Pochettino at fault for never replacing Wanyama / Dier and Dembele. No focus on buying a Kante-like defensive midfielder whatsoever.

Mourinho at fault for thinking Sissoko and Winks are good enough to cover in those positions as a pair, and that the back four and goalkeeper is stable.

At the moment with our limited options it has to be Dier with N'Dombele.

A CDM will no doubt be high on Joses shopping list if Dier can't get back to form.

Has he ever had any form. Apart when he first came to the club, he's been shit for years

I'm no Moutinho fan but you can't say he's at fault for anything at this stage. Cut him a bit of slack to assess what he's got.

I am a Mourinho fan. I disagree. I like his attack. His defence is shit.

How is poch at fault. Do you know for a fact that he was even allowed to sign who he wanted?

Poch is at fault for pushing for the likes of N'Dombele or Lo Celso as a priority signing when defensive midfield was a gaping hole, and trusting in the likes of Sissoko and Winks.

The N'Dombele signing is not a problem on paper, but the problem is he didn't buy a defensive midfielder first. How is Lo Celso not Poch's signing? He is Argentinian.

Why were we not in for the likes of Fabinho or Rodri or N'Didi instead?

This was a problem since before January. Poch signed a new contract last year.

I hope that the actual staff have more of a gameplan than "wait til January". :pochsulk:

Dier, Winks, Wanyama, Skipp, Sissoko, Ndombele and GLC in the ranks yet we're just retreading Poch's failed path.

We should already know who we're keeping and who doesn't cut it until January. If that means tweaking with starters or formations, so be it.

Of course, it also means we'd be spending some money in January and it also means the proper players would be available for us. Two big factors to take into consideration.

I hope that the actual staff have more of a gameplan than "wait til January". :pochsulk:

Dier, Winks, Wanyama, Skipp, Sissoko, Ndombele and GLC in the ranks yet we're just retreading Poch's failed path.

Wanyama, as we have seen his legs are passed it. The injuries ruined him as a top class athlete.

Sissoko doesn't have the footballing ability to run a midfield.

Dier would have made an amazing footballer in the 80's/90's where teams would have utility players. But the modern game doesn't allow for someone to be decent in lots of positions. Can't see where he fits in at all.

Winks seems too lightweight for that holding role, and inconsistent.

Personally I think it is a case of offloading Wanyama/Sissoko/Dier over the next few transfer windows. Potentially retaining Winks due to his age and hoping he progresses. But realistically, the only long term answer is new personnel.

We should already know who we're keeping and who doesn't cut it until January. If that means tweaking with starters or formations, so be it.

Of course, it also means we'd be spending some money in January and it also means the proper players would be available for us. Two big factors to take into consideration.

Well obviously the standard questions of who/when/how much/how long will it take to integrate them will all apply.....

I'd just like to think that both as per the remit of the thread and (more importantly) on the part of the management, that we'll be striving for a more immediate solution in the meantime.....

Between now and the close of the Jan window will define the rest of our season.... We could be routed to mid-table and out of all cups by then.

The new manager bounce is over (allegedly both players and manager were "complacent" last night).... If that's all the salvage plan amounted to I think I'd have preferred to afford Poch the rest of the season to turn our fortunes around and complete the squad surgery he started last summer.

Wanyama, as we have seen his legs are passed it. The injuries ruined him as a top class athlete.

Sissoko doesn't have the footballing ability to run a midfield.

Dier would have made an amazing footballer in the 80's/90's where teams would have utility players. But the modern game doesn't allow for someone to be decent in lots of positions. Can't see where he fits in at all.

Winks seems too lightweight for that holding role, and inconsistent.

Personally I think it is a case of offloading Wanyama/Sissoko/Dier over the next few transfer windows. Potentially retaining Winks due to his age and hoping he progresses. But realistically, the only long term answer is new personnel.

See above.

This conversation or debate about who should play in midfield feels like it has been going on for frigging ever.
Bottom line is it doesn’t really matter who we play, what combination of who plays, it’s all moot as the answer isn’t even a Spurs player yet....
Sissoko - penny is dropping with most and hopefully only after a week or two Jose has seen enough to understand this guy is a disaster of a transfer. He’s the oppositions best player around our own box, he can’t assist a pass for shit and one goal in 7 million appearances just about sums up his shooting ability.
Winks - Nothing, and I mean nothing suggests this kid is a DM, CM? Maybe, but it will take one hell of a guy beside him to afford him the time and opportunity to show us his more creative side, even then I doubt that there is a B grade Modric in there.
Lamela - This guy makes Darren Anderton look healthy.
Wanyama - see above
Dier- form and fitness has gone to shit, defiantly more than tonsillitis going on here.
Lo Celso - never plays and we’r not psychic.
N’Dombele - maybe our best hope, at 60m Levy will hope so.
Eriksen - what’s the fucking point?
Lucas - depends on the formation really, if it right he looks like Messi, if not he looks like a Mess.
Son, Alli and Kane are nailed in.

Jose needs to find his preferred formation and then go and find the personal to make it work. God speed special one!!

Back
Top Bottom