Most overrated Spurs players ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am shocked there are STILL Dembele-doubters in ranks.

He's been unplayable for much of the last couple of years since originally struggling to break into Poch's line-up.

Just goes to show how little so many football fans understand of the game. The fact that he mentioned Pogba's goals and assists record and used that as an argument for him being better than Wanyama, Dier and Dembele shows the how utterly clueless he is.

Pogba often plays behind the striker in an offensive position whereas Wanyama/Dier are sitting midfielders and Dembele dictates the game form deep. I'd like to see Pogba dominate the game for Utd the way Dembele has done for us so often. It's frustrating discussing football with casual fans who think the game is just about goals.

I guess Bus Conductor thinks Crouch is infinitely better than Zidane - just look at his goal record. Defoe is one of the greatest players of all time.

Regardless of how average or poor Dembele plays in future, I will always just remember back to 15/16 when he was the best midfielder in the league.

Like that scene from Shawshank when Andy plays The Marriage of Figaro over the PA. That's how I feel when ever I see Dembele put on a Spurs shirt.

I have no idea to this day how that Belgian footballer could make football look so easy. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are better left unsaid.

I’d like to think when he plays we are just witnessing something so beautiful, it can’t expressed in words, and it makes your heart ache because of it. It is as if some beautiful bird had flapped into our drab little cage and made these walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man at the Lane felt free.

The modern fullback must be a great athlete but not necessarily a great defender or all round footballer , people rave about Walkers first season at City but let's be honest how much defending did he actually have to do ? Did well no doubt but still relies on his pace to get him out of trouble in competitive games.

BAE used to do my head in
On a different planet mostly

BAE used to do my head in
On a different planet mostly

90mins of heart in mouth, but ya can't beat a bit o' Disco!

I pass through his 'planet' from time to time... As long as you take your own skins it's a pretty cool place to be. :dembele:

Mate, you're having a 'mare.

Go back and watch him ruin Juve away.

I'll also watch the first 30 minutes where we find ourselves two down and should have been four whilst Dembele and Dier amble around like stewed prunes in the vortex of a moulinex hairdryer.

Or the last month of last season where he was trundling around like a turtle in a windsock.

I am shocked there are STILL Dembele-doubters in our ranks.

He's been unplayable for much of the last couple of years since originally struggling to break into Poch's line-up.

He played 53% of last season and 66% of the season before. And about 10% of that was at full chat. The rest was either trying to find fitness or struggle;ing to maintain it for 90.

I acknowledge that there are games and/or sections of games, where Dembele's blend of robust, unflappable ability to hold and safely deliver the ball are an absolute godsend, and I acknowledged as much on Saturday, and always have, when they apply.

But what people like you don't acknowledge is that about 90% of our games are played pressed up against a passive deep block and when we are, invariably, playing a CM2 and Poch always has a more defensive player in that CM2 like Dier, who's passing lacks any vim and his play lacks alacrity, and what we really need is for at least one of our CM's to inject some tempo and vision, then Dembele's brand of holding onto the ball and then delivering safely to a guy 5 metres to his left, isn't always optimal.

Now, if Dembele had the stamina and dynamism over the last 2 years to be the anchor in the double pivot, allowing an 8 type to play next to him, injecting tempo then he'd be more viable, more of the time. And when we played Wanyama, who is better than Dier with and without the ball, playing Dembele in a more "double pivot" type role with Wanyama is definitely better, but there are so many times when what we desperately needed was some tempo from midfield, not cautious safety, and that's when I have issues with Dembele.

It's not that I don't appreciate what he can do, I do and in tough games where a more robust midfield is required I like it, it's that I don't always think it's what's required, I don't always think he brings it - a big chunk of the last two years has seen some very below par Dembele performances, and either way, he's at a stage now where he can't do it for 90 minutes and definitely can't do it for a whole season.

Last edited:
I'll also watch the first 30 minutes where we find ourselves two down and should have four whilst Dembele and Dier amble around like stewed prunes in the vortex of a moulinex hairdryer.

Or the last month of last season where he was trundling around like a turtle in a windsock.

He played 53% of last season and 66% of the season before. And about 10% of that was at full chat. The rest was either trying to find fitness or struggle;ing to maintain it for 90.

I acknowledge that there are games and/or sections of games, where Dembele's blend of robust, unflappable ability to hold and safely deliver the ball are an absolute godsend, and I acknowledged as much on Saturday, and always have, when they apply.

But what people like you don't acknowledge is that about 90% of our games are played pressed up against a passive deep block and when we are, invariably, playing a CM2 and Poch always has a more defensive player in that CM2 like Dier, who's passing lacks any vim and his play lacks alacrity, and what we really need is for at least one of our CM's to inject some tempo and vision, then Dembele's brand of holding onto the ball and then delivering safely to a guy 5 metres to his left, isn't always optimal.

Now, if Dembele had the stamina and dynamism over the last 2 years to be the anchor in the double pivot, allowing an 8 type to play next to him, injecting tempo then he'd be more viable, more of the time. And when we played Wanyama, who is better than Dier with and without the ball, playing Dembele in a more "double pivot" type role with Wanyama is definitely better, but there are so many times when what we desperately needed was some tempo from midfield, not cautious safety, and that's when I have issues with Dembele.

It's not that I don't appreciate what he can do, I do and in tough games where a more robust midfield is required I like it, it's that I don't always think it's what's required, I don't always think he brings it - a big chunk of the last two years has seen some very below par Dembele performances, and either way, he's at a stage now where he can't do it for 90 minutes and definitely can't do it for a whole season.
I'd press disagree but a "fuck off" seems more appropriate.

fuck off.

I'll also watch the first 30 minutes where we find ourselves two down and should have four whilst Dembele and Dier amble around like stewed prunes in the vortex of a moulinex hairdryer.

Dunno what the fook that's meant to mean, but "should have four"...?

Feel free to explain how that relates to Dier and Dembele and we can go from there.

He played 53% of last season and 66% of the season before. And about 10% of that was at full chat. The rest was either trying to find fitness or struggling to maintain it for 90.

He's physically on the decline. We know this, but if I'm being 'rose-tinted' then, your 10% synopsis is thoroughly 'shit-tinted' .

"People like [me]? :pochunimpressed:

You seem to be repeatedly critiquing him for what he's been deployed to do.... Deep MFs doing deep MF things. He's not picked for dynamism & goal threat, so why even go down that path? Essentially that's a critique of Poch's selection/tactics, not an indication of MD's abilities being over-rated.

Granted, how to best utilise his skill-set has been a quandry at times throughout his tenure (3 diff managers didn't help!), but he's a god at what he does.

He hasn't just proved valuable against teams that come at us... A combo of Dier/Wanyama & Dembele have countless times helped us overcoming stubborn, packed and/or combative midfields. On the flipside, so many times he's NOT played we've struggled for space and time on the ball.

Maybe you personally would prefer to see us deploy a more traditional DLP-style option within our MF-blueprint (as per your own tactical vision), but that's another story.

Last edited:

Have you ever chatted to a bloke called Gibbs, could be right up your street.
Double pivots, full arkwrights legs akimbo, wonderful stuff.

I always thought Malbranque was a bit shit.

Liked him, but he just seemed to turn around in circles, like a dog chasing his own tail.

I think in some cases, people purposely/conciously over-rate players... Steed held cult appeal for me yet I'd talk him up like was a legit worldy.

Gallows humour if you will.

Listen Hines, I think you're being a bit of a cunt to Dembele and Dier. I agree that we either need another top quality central mid as a signing or a full fat return of Winks, but there's no need to evicerate two highly accomplished midfielders in the process.

I think in some cases, people purposely/conciously over-rate players... Steed held cult appeal for me yet I'd talk him up like was a legit worldy.

Gallows humour if you will.

“People like you “

Have you been upsetting Blakey?

“I’ll get you for this Airfixx “

:nawty:

Back
Top Bottom