Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

his position has changed slightly, he's been employed further up the pitch which doesn't seem to suit him.
Disagree mate, at the end of last season he was sitting back and letting Parker roam forward and looked off pace the whole time. Regardless of where he is playing, he looks out of sorts. Out of Capoue, Paulinho and Dembele, you would expect Dembele to be the threat going forward all day long, but he isn't.

If he isn't linking the attack, what is he doing? Paulinho and Capoue are more than adequate defensively. I'm pretty worried about him to be honest, has his hip injury done for him?

In any case, I wouldn't be playing him at the moment as he isn't creating a thing really. Eriksen or Holtby in front of two of Capoue / Paulinho / Sandro any day of the week for me at the moment.

Disagree mate, at the end of last season he was sitting back and letting Parker roam forward and looked off pace the whole time. Regardless of where he is playing, he looks out of sorts. Out of Capoue, Paulinho and Dembele, you would expect Dembele to be the threat going forward all day long, but he isn't.

If he isn't linking the attack, what is he doing? Paulinho and Capoue are more than adequate defensively. I'm pretty worried about him to be honest, has his hip injury done for him?

In any case, I wouldn't be playing him at the moment as he isn't creating a thing really. Eriksen or Holtby in front of two of Capoue / Paulinho / Sandro any day of the week for me at the moment.

he's better playing deeper than he is playing closer to the striker, I do agree he has moved further back in the pecking order. Him and Sandro was a great partnership.

he doesn't release the ball quickly enough or make the right decisions imo.

He doesn't but the good thing is with Holtby coming back from injury and Eriksen here I doubt we'll see him starting much again unless he has a serious upturn in performance

---Sandro
Pauli Eriksen

that should be far more creative and get the ball forward quicker with more intent

Lamela Soldado Chadli

especially with that 3 infront of it

another thing to take into account to is all the changes as it will take time for them to reach their maximum fluidity :avblol:

bodes well that we're currently dominating possession at this early stage of transition though

he's better playing deeper than he is playing closer to the striker, I do agree he has moved further back in the pecking order. Him and Sandro was a great partnership.
Sort of agree, but I don't think he has just moved back in the pecking order, he is struggling to be effective.

I think that yesterday was a microcosm of this dip in form - not conspicuous because of the mistakes he made but by absence of any meaningful forward play. No shots, no killer through balls, no significant movement of any description.

Not dumping on him - just that it's a serious change from when he first came in and proved the doubters wrong. Eriksen, Siggurdson or Holtby would be preferable for me at present. The vast amounts of selection possibilities may be a blessing - he can get fit in his own time before challenging for a place.

Didnt rate him at all mate

We must've watched different games. He was everywhere it seemed and was crucial bringing the ball forward all game. Looked like te Moussa of old gliding past defenders with ease.

Mousa Dembele today: 3 headed duels won, 66% tackle success, 5 take ons, 1 interception & 92% pass accuracy.

Worked the ball out of some messy situations pretty damn well. Just wish he did more in the final third than just dish it out wide.

Agreed to some degree, but he spent most of the game taking the ball from the defense/Paulinho and working it up to Eriksen to distribute.

errr, to the wings I mean.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszon...yer-stats/39104/1_PASS_01#tabs-wrapper-anchor

A lot of his distribution was to the wings but from playing a deep role he was crucial in moving the ball up in to the final 3rd all game.

He is also instrumental in why we dominate possession. The only thing I have not made my mind up yet is the speed of his distribution, I got the feeling he slows our attacks down.

For me he is one of the most beautiful ball players in Europe. He bobs and weaves arround, always available, rarely loses possession, not afraid to get stuck in too. One of my favourite players last year (before that hip injury), and looks like he has that form back to.

He is also instrumental in why we dominate possession.
THIS!
People who can't see how good he is for us are blind, and the few that say he is poor are just plain stupidand don't understand football well. They just see that he doesn't score or assist and so conclude he isn't very good....but that isn't what Mousa is good at. He is impossible (more or less) to take the ball off, one of the best at retaining the ball in the world really. He is also a good passer of the ball, as confirmed by his stats, and he is one of the main reasons why we are so good at maintaining possession.
I can see that his passing can, at times, be a little 'safe' and he also takes the ball past players, and instead of then giving that killer pass that leads to a goal, he often plays something safer, and less dangerous. I'd like him to improve that too, but at the same time, if he hasn't mastered that yet then right now he is doing the right thing because otherwise you lose the ball, give away possession when you are high up the pitch and perhaps over commited and none of that is good. So, at the moment he is not a fully developed, all-round midfielder, but he is exceptional at what he does do and a very clear assett.

He has been superb the last two league games. Him and Paulinho (before his goal) have both been under the radar dominant in these last two games in helping to totally overwhelm Norwich and Cardiff in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom