Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have a lot of players to resolve next summer. The 3 that are currently up for transfer, Toby, Rose and Dembele. Also Vertonghan has short term contract. Eriksen still not signed as well. Llorente? Sissoko if he gets no game time.
With Poch's attitude to help players that want to leave I can see that if they can resolve 1 in January that they will do so.

We have a lot of players to resolve next summer. The 3 that are currently up for transfer, Toby, Rose and Dembele. Also Vertonghan has short term contract. Eriksen still not signed as well. Llorente? Sissoko if he gets no game time.
With Poch's attitude to help players that want to leave I can see that if they can resolve 1 in January that they will do so.

It is a bit worrying - but I trust the club knows what's going on and what's best.

Next summer though:

Dembele contract runs out.
Vertonghen contract runs out.
Llorente contract runs out.
Vorm contract runs out.
Alderweireld would have 1 year remaining (With £25m buy out)
Eriksen would have 1 year remaining
Janssen would have 1 year remaining

Whilst I'm not too bothered about Llorente, Vorm or Janssen (Though we'd make a considerable loss on investment) - it's disheartening that four of our best players over the last few years could all be tempted away.

I believe every club (bar those in England) can discuss terms with Vertonghen and Dembele in January if they still have 6 months remaining.

It is a bit worrying - but I trust the club knows what's going on and what's best.

Next summer though:

Dembele contract runs out.
Vertonghen contract runs out.
Llorente contract runs out.
Vorm contract runs out.
Alderweireld would have 1 year remaining (With £25m buy out)
Eriksen would have 1 year remaining
Janssen would have 1 year remaining

Whilst I'm not too bothered about Llorente, Vorm or Janssen (Though we'd make a considerable loss on investment) - it's disheartening that four of our best players over the last few years could all be tempted away.

I believe every club (bar those in England) can discuss terms with Vertonghen and Dembele in January if they still have 6 months remaining.

Vertonghen and Eriksen are the major concerns.

Replacing Vertonghen will be harder than replacing Alderweireld IMO. Dier is pretty much Alderweireld 5 years ago, and we already have Sanchez (and Foyth and a couple of good CB's coming through). Finding a player like Vertonghen a top drawer left sided footballing CB will be very hard.

The situation with Eriksen is even scarier, he's a very unique player. Sees as much ball as a CM, scores and assists up with the best AM's. Influences everything we do. Even covers the most ground.

Love Dembele. The most graceful player on the ball I've ever seen. But he was bad today. It is pretty clear to me that Harry Winks should be starting ahead of Dembele at this point. There is still room for Dembele in the squad, but I think his role should mostly be limited to coming off the bench to put games away.

I'll just remember him as he was. One of the best midfielders in the Premier League. (Which he hasn't been since 2015/2016).

Brb, watching Dembele compilations.

Used sparingly throughout this season is his role. Use him in the same way he was used against Fulham. Off the bench to take control of a game if we've lost it or late in games to keep possession and hold onto the ball.

There will be occasions where he can start in a 2 or 3 and I won't mind that. He was brilliant in the second half against Man Utd (Though he also had Dier alongside him). Don't think being central in a midfield 3 will ever work, especially if Dele and Eriksen just aren't going to support him.

Start him in the cup games. (League Cup and FA Cup)

considering he's apparently 'on his last legs', he's put some minutes in so far this season. 465' in fact or, the 6th most in the squad.

Don't listen (or at least don't believe) all the bulls**t you read on this forum.
There were morons around who were certain that he was finished 2 years ago. Others 1,5 years ago. Quite many around year ago, one bunch in Feb and anothers now.

Dog's can bark but the caravan rolls on. And Moose still bosses midfields... despite all this clichee'ish and totally unbacked claims and mantras.
Yes, he has had very average games where he has given the ball away bit too much, but for fook sake, look our midfield as a whole in some games ?!? I mean you cannot expect ONE player to do work of 2 or 3. Give in form Wanyama next to him, and we would have very different picture right here.

Don't listen (or at least don't believe) all the bulls**t you read on this forum.
There were morons around who were certain that he was finished 2 years ago. Others 1,5 years ago. Quite many around year ago, one bunch in Feb and anothers now.

Dog's can bark but the caravan rolls on. And Moose still bosses midfields... despite all this clichee'ish and totally unbacked claims and mantras.
Yes, he has had very average games where he has given the ball away bit too much, but for fook sake, look our midfield as a whole in some games ?!? I mean you cannot expect ONE player to do work of 2 or 3. Give in form Wanyama next to him, and we would have very different picture right here.
Excuse me, but it's not bull, just an opinion. He has put in the minutes, probably more than he should because he is so crucial to our game and we don't have a replacement. But he looks a bit knackered if he plays the whole game. Again, just my opinion.
See what happens when people start disagreeing with me Bazali Bazali ....the world loses all meaning :)

I think he improving with every game, although still a way off his best.

It pretty much sums up our CM situation that Dembele is still the first name on the team sheet in that position. We shouldn’t be in this position but we have to make do with what we’ve got, and that’s a slightly jaded Dembele vs Wanyama or Winks who are both battling to come back from serious injuries. Dembele might no longer be the unstoppable force who can boss midfield on his own but he’s still an elegant and aggressive CM who is crucial to our style of play.

What Dembele’s gradual decline has really done is expose all the flaws in Dier’s game, he is asked to take a bigger role in the buildup and roam the midfield line but his lumbering style is cruelly exposed when he does. If Dier could actually turn on the ball then maybe Dembele wouldn’t have to play every game.

Its well known that he has chronic issues that need to be managed but i agree with Totti Totti that the hysteria that gets angled at him every year for being "finished" is bollocks. He played as many minutes last season as he has every year for us bar the first, yet the noise on here about him being "done" was louder than ever. Second half of last season he was fucking immense and almost untouchable.

Excuse me, but it's not bull, just an opinion. He has put in the minutes, probably more than he should because he is so crucial to our game and we don't have a replacement. But he looks a bit knackered if he plays the whole game. Again, just my opinion.
See what happens when people start disagreeing with me Bazali Bazali ....the world loses all meaning :)

I don’t know how they dare!!

Back
Top Bottom