Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My take on this...Costa is a complete cunt and if you provoke people, even good people, like he does then they will react and you might get hurt. Thus, he is partly to blame. However, you cannot put your fingers in someone's eyes, they could be damaged for life and that is why the FA are right to take it seriously. Unfortunately Dembele is going to be banned for a half dozen games at least, I think and probably something like ten games. It is harsh but also hard to argue against in the cold light of day. It was very stupid, it would have been better had he punched him when no one was looking. But to be honest, this occured at half time so it was pretty unnecesary. Better to just call him a little bitch at that point.
Anyway, that is frustrating because he is an important player for us. I find it quite astonishing that none of their individual players are being disciplined for violent conduct.

Honestly I would like to know the opinion of people who think that it even was an 'eye gouge'? What qualifies a gouge over a slap in the face? How much force is required for it to be an eye gouge rather than a hand in the face area.

From every replay I've seen there was minimal contact with his eye and his hand wasn't moving at any force. Seems like he was just putting his hand in his face more than anything to me. I would be very upset if I was Mousa getting labelled an eye gouger based on what he did.

Honestly I would like to know the opinion of people who think that it even was an 'eye gouge'? What qualifies a gouge over a slap in the face? How much force is required for it to be an eye gouge rather than a hand in the face area.

From every replay I've seen there was minimal contact with his eye and his hand wasn't moving at any force. Seems like he was just putting his hand in his face more than anything to me. I would be very upset if I was Mousa getting labelled an eye gouger based on what he did.

It looked much worse than it was. As others have pointed out, Costa clutched the wrong eye. I don't think that will save him unfortunately.

There is ample case for the defence here and I am sure the club will do all they can, depends if the old cloggers at the FA listen or are so fucking death or bribed that they don't listen.

xT4uQm85XurVpMw9C8.gif

It looked much worse than it was. As others have pointed out, Costa clutched the wrong eye. I don't think that will save him unfortunately.

Next week if exactly the same thing happened, do not be surprised if Costa claims Moose trod on his hand.

Not condoning either Moose or Lamela, but I very much enjoyed watching it.

If you're going to be ruled out of the title, kicking Chelsea to lumps has an echo of glory to it.

This is fucking madness. MORE than 3 games? They've clearly only watched it in slow. An ultra-slow clip can make anything look like the most deliberate offense.

Watch it in real time. It's nothing.

This is fucking madness. MORE than 3 games? They've clearly only watched it in slow. An ultra-slow clip can make anything look like the most deliberate offense.

Watch it in real time. It's nothing.

I don't think, it's nothing. It's more likely than not that he attempted to do the deed. However, it is indeed nothing in the sense that I'm seeing nothing that proves he had the intention of doing so. Surely, there has to be proof of intent, rather than a hand/fingers hitting in the area of an eye in a group of players all pushing each other???

Honestly in the moment I didn't mind it, my hatred of Chelsea and Costa swayed my feeling. Seeing it again I fucking hate that he done that, it's such a cowardly act and he should be banned for whatever term is designated in the laws.

Just be glad this wasn't in rugby union, who have gone (rightly so) extreme in their bans because it was becoming more frequent and dangerous.

• Lower end: up to 12-week ban.
  • Mid range: up to 18-week ban.
  • Top end: greater than 24-week ban.
The maximum sanction is a 156-week (3 year) ban.

Watched it again multiple times today and, partisan though I am, it's far from an eye gouge. It's almost miming an eye gouge on his cheek. How this has been blown up is ridiculous - a three game ban at the absolute max.

Eye Gouge does sound bad, it is over the top because it makes it sound like he was trying to take his eyes out his skull. That's the British media for you. But he did apply his finger(s) to his eye, the replays show that and it was a deliberate action. I agree there wasn't a lot of force, but that doesn't really help us, I don't think. If there was force then he could be being banned for a year for damaging his eye, so lucky that is not the case. The problem remains though, that he did go for his eye and there is no way anyone can tone it down as a slap in the face or anything like that. Two of our players are trying to stop him and Poch is watching it with a bit of a disturbed expression. It's all on camera and he is going to get a significant ban for it. Luckily we have a squad so someone will step up and I hope we buy a better backup for the likes of Dembele and Dier anyway in the summer. I hope we will learn from it, it's great to be aggressive and hold your own, and fuck cunts like Chelsea up, but there is a point where you cross a line and only hurt yourself and Dembele crossed that unfortunately. Cunt Costa deserved it, no doubt, but still.

I disagree. Torres absolutely deserved a ban, but clawing isn't as bad as eye gouging.

I just feel deeply conflicted on this one. Eye gouging doesn't belong in the game and I feel ashamed for Dembele, but at the same time it would be more than fitting if Chelsea's entire squad was lined up and eye gouged one after another, with Costa getting a double.
It's getting blown well out of proportion by calling it an "eye gauge". He never touched his eye. At most he scratched his cheek which is still a bitch move and deserving of a ban.

If he had gauged his eye I'd agree he deserves a longer that usual ban but he didn't. In fact it was far less severe than it looked by the simple fact that Costa grabbed the opposite side of his face in an attempt to make a drama of it.

Eye Gouge does sound bad, it is over the top because it makes it sound like he was trying to take his eyes out his skull. That's the British media for you. But he did apply his finger(s) to his eye, the replays show that and it was a deliberate action. I agree there wasn't a lot of force, but that doesn't really help us, I don't think. If there was force then he could be being banned for a year for damaging his eye, so lucky that is not the case. The problem remains though, that he did go for his eye and there is no way anyone can tone it down as a slap in the face or anything like that. Two of our players are trying to stop him and Poch is watching it with a bit of a disturbed expression. It's all on camera and he is going to get a significant ban for it.

It's not just the English media (although you're particularly bad).

The headline on the official Danish PL broadcasters website was "SICK! Attempts to gouge out Costa's eye"

I spat out my drink.

Back
Top Bottom