Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure where you have been for the last 3 years or so but we have blown away every single rival in the PL with our Midfield. We also did the same to some of the best teams in Europe too. At our best our midfield dominates the oppo, this has been the case in almost every game I have watch Spurs play in the past 3yrs or so.

This season we have a mass of injuries to some of our best players, 9 of 11 first team players who didn't have a pre-season and we have only played a couple of "home" games all season (to which these home games are now being played in an atmosphere that is akin to a behind closed doors game).

Sissoko isn't our first choice midfielder (CM or DM), this is because he's not that good a player but when called upon he has stepped up and we have continued to win games. This should be recognised but no you seem to feel it's worthy of some kind of ranker and stomping and stamping of feet. I simply don't get this at all. Why are you expecting him to be Busquets or some such? Think of what Wimmer did when he stepped up when Vertonghen was injured, or Davies last season when Rose was injured/wanted out. The team is even more depleted now than it was back then too.

Again you bring up Tripper when the topic is not Trippier.

You are bringing up other midfielders "that have blown away the opposition" when we are talking about Sissoko, who definitely has nothing to do with that/those midfields. It's like me saying to you we have blown away teams (inc Real Madrid etc) because of Trippier.

I don't agree that "our midfield has blown away all comers over the last three years" I think our success has been about more than one particular facet of the team, and even then I think sometimes (not always) we have achieved things in spite of our midfield's laborious and risk averse nature, not always because of.

But lets not derail the Sissoko thread with how good or bad our midfield has been previously or how good or bad Trippier is.

Even that article you posted acknowledges some glaring basic deficiencies in Sissoko's game. I do not understand how anyone can defend those deficiencies at this level. Basic technique. The guy's earning nearly 5m a year. Again, I don't blame him for his level of competence, or what we are stupid enough to pay him, but to deny it is plain daft, to constantly try to talk him up as something he isn't is also daft - especially when those same people will criticise others ferociously. And to get all pissy with people for calling him what he is, especially those paying to watch his inadequacy is daft. And I firmly blame Pochettino for playing him.

As an aside - did you see the discussion on MOTD Saturday night with Gullit talking about 433 and how small, dextrous, (and sometimes tenacious) midfielders are the future?

You are bringing up other midfielders "that have blown away the opposition" when we are talking about Sissoko, who definitely has nothing to do with that/those midfields. It's like me saying to you we have blown away teams (inc Real Madrid etc) because of Trippier.

I don't agree that "our midfield has blown away all comers over the last three years" I think our success has been about more than one particular facet of the team, and even then I think sometimes (not always) we have achieved things in spite of our midfield's laborious and risk averse nature, not always because of.

But lets not derail the Sissoko thread with how good or bad our midfield has been previously or how good or bad Trippier is.

Even that article you posted acknowledges some glaring basic deficiencies in Sissoko's game. I do not understand how anyone can defend those deficiencies at this level. Basic technique. The guy's earning nearly 5m a year. Again, I don't blame him for his level of competence, or what we are stupid enough to pay him, but to deny it is plain daft, to constantly try to talk him up as something he isn't is also daft - especially when those same people will criticise others ferociously. And to get all pissy with people for calling him what he is, especially those paying to watch his inadequacy is daft. And I firmly blame Pochettino for playing him.

As an aside - did you see the discussion on MOTD Saturday night with Gullit talking about 433 and how small, dextrous, (and sometimes tenacious) midfielders are the future?
No, it is YOU who is constantly bringing up our midfield and lack of it. It's your "thing". (BTW We blew away City's midfield at the Lane with Sissoko in it, who also happened to be one of the best players on the pitch that day). YOU brought up Tripps, you are derailing the thread, I pointed this out to you, enough of Tripps. You brought up our midfield you are derailing the thread.

Our midfield dominates our opponents, it's what we do. When it doesn't occur is when we normally lose with probably the exception of all bar a handful of games), failure to even see this is mindblowing, to say the least.

Please at least have the courtesy to read what someone writes before you respond. Just how many fucking times do I have to write that he is an AVERAGE player? How many times do I have to write that I do not rate him, nor have I EVER? The author of this piece also thinks exactly the same, it's why he mentions his lack of technical ability. No-one, and I mean absolutely no-one thinks he is a good footballer.

BUT that is exactly the fucking point, he's come in and is doing the job being asked of him. He hasn't let the team down. He's performed better than even his ability would suggest. THIS IS THE POINT BEING MADE!

No, I did what MOTD chat and I don't care about 4-3-3 and it's merits and whether Sissoko can play in it or not. It's not the point being made. When everyone is fit Sissoko doesn't play. Why fucking obsess over it? He's a band-aid, a plaster to paper over our cracks bought on for the reasons well known. Just acknowledge that our 6th choice midfielder is doing a job for us right now when over half our first team can't play. It is for this that he needs to be appreciated.

The one thing I've always liked from him, especially when he's subbed on when seeing out a game, is he will carry the ball up the pitch. Prevents us from sitting deep inviting oppo onto us and the tension and pressure that can lead to.

The Wolves match clearly illustrated this point even if, at the end of his runs, he lost possession
By this time we were well up the pitch and getting ourselves organised which we really were grateful for

Gullet the successful manager?

Pmsl

The Wolves match clearly illustrated this point even if, at the end of his runs, he lost possession
By this time we were well up the pitch and getting ourselves organised which we really were grateful for
What was different in that game, was both he and Winks were running out of gas and in the last 15mins or so didn't get up the pitch, hence all the pressure we received.

What was different in that game, was both he and Winks were running out of gas and in the last 15mins or so didn't get up the pitch, hence all the pressure we received.

Also I don’t think Sanchez ever reached the pace of the game

A useful three points earned at the end of the day

And we’re ahead of Woolwich

"....Spurs fans starting to warm to Sissoko" shocker!

I think he can be our modern day Steffen Freund... obvious limitations to his game, but a likeable (and clearly popular) member of the squad, and he looks like he cares!
The kind gesture to that fan after the Wolves game was a nice touch too.... you can't really go wrong* with throwing your shirt to a fan in a wheelchair, can you?

* unless you sprint off ahead, demanding he chase you before you'll give it to him!

He is so limited as a player with nothing but athletic strength and we could easily upgrade him.

However, I have the utmost respect for him, always puts in a shift and since signing for us has behaved like a true professional.

It is difficult to understand the Newcastle fans that wanted him out for lack of effort. He always seems to put the effort in for us even if he mucks it up.

I think that's probably just the minimum Pochettino expects. Hardwork. Must be hard to find any sort of motivation playing under the likes of Pardew, Carver, McClaren etc.

Sissoko knows he has something good at Tottenham and letting standards slip would have seen him out the door to a lesser club and probably earning significantly less. I believe Pochettino even criticised Sissoko's training in the past and Sissoko responded well.

I think that's probably just the minimum Pochettino expects. Hardwork. Must be hard to find any sort of motivation playing under the likes of Pardew, Carver, McClaren etc.

Sissoko knows he has something good at Tottenham and letting standards slip would have seen him out the door to a lesser club and probably earning significantly less. I believe Pochettino even criticised Sissoko's training in the past and Sissoko responded well.
I have a friend who is a Newcastle fan and he says it is also in part because of his role within the team. With us he is a supporting character, where as at Newcastle he was intended to be a key player for them and deliver a lot of points for them. Which obviously did not work out.

Lets hypothetically say that Eriksen had not taken off for us we would have probably wanted to offload him as well. Or a better example, Lamela.

dYalulX.jpg

Back
Top Bottom