Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

shopping

You can see that he is playing with confidence for the first time in a long while. Early in the season he was taking an age to control the ball, taking 3 or 4 touches, passing backwards under pressure, etc. Now he is playing first time passes, using his power and pace to carry the ball up the pitch, looking to play forward and it's helping us so much. He has to keep it going.

Yep, for those that follow this thread that's exactly what he's been.

No he hasn't, he's been poor for two seasons and he's been criticized for it.
Now he's getting praise for a good half a season. He's lucky to still be here, Jansen only got one season to prove himself.

Now he's getting praise for a good half a season. He's lucky to still be here, Jansen only got one season to prove himself.

Of course he has been.

Yes, he hasn't been at the level he's been at this season but the vitriol spewed over every little thing he did was bordering on scapegoat. He'd have a good game (which DID happen last season) you'd get everyone popping up about some misplaced pass in the 5th minute or a miss-hit shot that cleared the stand as a way to justify their hate.

It's as if people COULDN'T admit he wasn't actually that bad they had to criticise something about him. Not only until he showed consistency (funnily enough following a run in the team) are people realising it doesn't hurt to praise him.

I think a big difference between Sissoko and Janssen is that Sissoko works hard. Poch criticised Sissoko in his first season for lack of effort in training I believe and Sissoko took that in board, worked hard and here we are. If I remember correctly Janssen moaned to the press about getting no games. Big no no.

You can see that he is playing with confidence for the first time in a long while. Early in the season he was taking an age to control the ball, taking 3 or 4 touches, passing backwards under pressure, etc. Now he is playing first time passes, using his power and pace to carry the ball up the pitch, looking to play forward and it's helping us so much. He has to keep it going.

Confidence is clearly a massive thing for some players - us fans might do well to remember that, there aren't many ways we can influence our teams performance.......

Of course he has been.

Yes, he hasn't been at the level he's been at this season but the vitriol spewed over every little thing he did was bordering on scapegoat. He'd have a good game (which DID happen last season) you'd get everyone popping up about some misplaced pass in the 5th minute or a miss-hit shot that cleared the stand as a way to justify their hate.

It's as if people COULDN'T admit he wasn't actually that bad they had to criticise something about him. Not only until he showed consistency (funnily enough following a run in the team) are people realising it doesn't hurt to praise him.

I think a big difference between Sissoko and Janssen is that Sissoko works hard. Poch criticised Sissoko in his first season for lack of effort in training I believe and Sissoko took that in board, worked hard and here we are. If I remember correctly Janssen moaned to the press about getting no games. Big no no.
We paid 30 million for him, people expect more than constant misplacing of passes and mistimed shots. Stop doing that and the vitriol stops as we're seeing now. Imo he's been so bad, clubs didn't even want to take him on loan, let alone buy him, that's why he is still here. He also fell out with Poch.
Moussa Sissoko wants to quit Spurs after 'worst season of my career'

Completely and utterly disagree with that. The thread proves this, it's been a consistent theme in here of people, ME and others defending his performances and the criticism and the abuse that he has received. He has 100% been made the scapegoat from people who failed to judge him on the role that has been asked of him to fulfil. Do not confuse this as his past performances warrant MOTM performances, they haven't but his thread will light up if he misplaces a pass in a game where he did just fine or OK.

If he had been as poor as you say then there wouldn't be evidence of people talking about how ridiculously he has been treated by Spurs fans. Many people attesting to the fact that he was a scapegoat, this was said of him last season, not a recent thing.

It's Danny Rose all over again, Spurs fans ripping into a player, going with the herd mentality (e.g they are unable to recognise when a player is playing as a DM but slate him for offering nothing in attack), it's frankly embarrassing level of ineptitude and something we've seen time and time again ("he plays on the left") with the negative voices being the loudest in the room.

Last edited:
We paid 30 million for him, people expect more than constant misplacing of passes and mistimed shots. Stop doing that and the vitriol stops as we're seeing now. Imo he's been so bad, clubs didn't even want to take him on loan, let alone buy him, that's why he is still here. He also fell out with Poch.
Moussa Sissoko wants to quit Spurs after 'worst season of my career'

But that's youre problem. Youre literally basing your thoughts and opinions on a player based on a fee the CLUB paid for him. Why? Sissoko isn't worth £30,000,000. He'll tell you as much. That's just Lamela all over again, another one who saw a lot of hate come his way because of a fee the club paid.

If anything that's a testament to Sissoko as a professional.

He worked hard. Looked to improve, even at his age, and is now reaping the benefits. He has found his role in the team and its been evident for over a year now that Pochettino trusts him.

Always said I'd much rather a team of hard workers with a mutual trust with the manager than a few of those, a bunch of mercenaries and people who couldn't care for the club.

Sadly, I do think one average performance from Sissoko will see him become the scape goat once again. If we lose to Woolwich next weekend you can bet he'll get the brunt of the abuse if he starts.

Completely and utterly disagree with that. The thread proves this, it's been a consistent theme in here of people, ME and others defending his performances and the criticism and the abuse that he has received. He has 100% been made the scapegoat from people who failed to judge him on the role that has been asked of him to fulfil. Do not confuse this as his past performances warrant MOTM performances, they haven't but his thread will light up if he misplaces a pass in a game where he did just fine or OK.

If he had been as poor as you say then there wouldn't be evidence of people talking about how ridiculously he has been treated by Spurs fans. Many people attesting to the fact that he was a scapegoat, this was said of him last season, not a recent thing.

It's Danny Rose all over again, Spurs fans ripping into a player, going with the herd mentality (e.g they are unable to recognise when a player is playing as a DM but slate him for offering nothing in attack), it's frankly embarrassing level of ineptitude and something we've seen time and time again ("he plays on the left") with the negative voices being the loudest in the room.
It's really up to Sissoko to win people around, half a season isn't enough. We didn't buy him to play DM and I think it's right that people expect more from in attack, Dier gets the odd goal and assist. There will be always be supporters around to defend a Spurs player no matter how bad he plays. Let's see if he's consistent for the next half of this season and the whole of next season. If he is and he still gets criticized then I'll concede he's a scapegoat at the moment no. I look at players like Lloris, Kane and Alli who have been extremely consistent but still get criticized heavily at times, so Sissoko's treatment is nothing.

It's really up to Sissoko to win people around, half a season isn't enough. We didn't buy him to play DM and I think it's right that people expect more from in attack, Dier gets the odd goal and assist. There will be always be supporters around to defend a Spurs player no matter how bad he plays. Let's see if he's consistent for the next half of this season and the whole of next season. If he is and he still gets criticized then I'll concede he's a scapegoat at the moment no. I look at players like Lloris, Kane and Alli who have been extremely consistent but still get criticized heavily at times, so Sissoko's treatment is nothing.

Sissoko has had a hand in more goals (goals and assists) than Dier, Winks, Dembele and Wanyama combined in the last 2 and a half seasons...

Yet none of the other players get anywhere near as much hate for their lack of output. Just because he's sometimes been put on the wing, doesn't make him a winger.

But that's youre problem. Youre literally basing your thoughts and opinions on a player based on a fee the CLUB paid for him. Why? Sissoko isn't worth £30,000,000. He'll tell you as much. That's just Lamela all over again, another one who saw a lot of hate come his way because of a fee the club paid.

If anything that's a testament to Sissoko as a professional.

He worked hard. Looked to improve, even at his age, and is now reaping the benefits. He has found his role in the team and its been evident for over a year now that Pochettino trusts him.

Always said I'd much rather a team of hard workers with a mutual trust with the manager than a few of those, a bunch of mercenaries and people who couldn't care for the club.

Sadly, I do think one average performance from Sissoko will see him become the scape goat once again. If we lose to Woolwich next weekend you can bet he'll get the brunt of the abuse if he starts.
30 million, 20 million, 10 million the performances he's put in hasn't been good enough for a club of our standing. You think Sissoko loves the club? I don't, I prefer it if he did from a purely sentimental point of view, but as long as he plays well and puts the effort in I don't care.

30 million, 20 million, 10 million the performances he's put in hasn't been good enough for a club of our standing. You think Sissoko loves the club? I don't, I prefer it if he did from a purely sentimental point of view, but as long as he plays well and puts the effort in I don't care.

No, I don't think he loves the club. Nor do I expect him to. Its a job. I expect him to work hard. Which he absolutely does.

You do realise that what you have just written proves what is being said?

Back
Top Bottom