Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First off Whoscored ratings are based 100% off stats, it’s a stats based model, so don’t understand the logic of using it when trying to undermine the stats used by others.

Standing on the half way line categorically proves he was playing as a holding midfielder, just like Dier’s heat map you mention but we all know Diers’s position, ask yourself why his heat map is where it is and the answer is he played as a DM, covering Autier allowing Autier to push on without the space vacated to be exploited as they did when we played them a year earlier with Walker!!! When playing against a side sat on their penalty area all game where exactly are you expecting the average position of a DM position to be??? Check the heat maps of Sanchez and Vertonghen, think you’ Find theirs would be on the halfway line too given the entire game was play in the oppo half.

He wasn’t standing in the way of Aurier, the commonly held view is that Aurier was our best player on the night, how did he manage that with Sissoko “standing in his way”. It has also been noted by many others based on many other games that he appears to link up well with Auier, again something he did well that night. The hestmap you mention also proves he was covering Aurier, something that I, a defender of his in this game, mentioned a few times in post match comments as to describe the position and role he was asked to play.

Compare is passing stats to Dier who also played as a DM.

Absolutely NO-ONE has claimed he was one of our best players. The defense of him has come from those re-acting to him being the only player being called out, when there where others, Dier, who were worse on the night. Those defending him said he was playing DM, as your post clearly shows, with your heat map findings, the relevance of this was he played this role, the same as Winks does, Dier does, which largely means the recycling the ball (sideways passes, short passes) the VERY thing he was being slated for.

For the 100th time, HE’s NOT A GREAT PLAYER, but judge his individual performances based on the possition he’s ask to play and the level of slating he gets is totally unwarranted. It proves people A) scapegoat b) find it hard to analyze a game (this isn’t meant as a personal dig to anyone), vast majority of footballgoers don't analyze the game but infuriatingly attempt to and get it spectacularly wrong as in this case. Football still involves opinions which can be debated, but let’s get the basic fundamentals right first and foremost, HE WAS PLAYING AS A HOLDING MIDFIELDER and his performance in this game should be judged in this context alone.
If you are corralling me into the same group then I'd like to point out that none of my comments are meant or intended to make him a scapegoat for the result.
I knew what his role in the game was and I have never attempted to level a lack of team discipline as being a fault of his.
I have been entirely consistent in my criticism of the guy and that has been of the across the board level of the "bread and butter" skills that you would expect from a top flight professional footballer.
His ball control is woeful in comparison with his teammates, from bringing the ball under control when receiving a pass, to keeping it under control to shield it from opponents. His passing is very poor, despite what the stats freaks quote, because he often offloads to players and puts them in immediate pressure, either because they are marked or because they have to check back to retrieve or sprint to beat an opponent to it.
Apart from a straight line running race with the ball his control "in motion" is poor and often results in losing control or farcically standing on or tripping over the ball. I don't think I can recall another professional in over 40 years of watching the game, do this as often as he does.
He seems to possess little or no ability to read or dictate play, he seems entirely reactive to events. You and others claim Dier had a worse game than him, which I think is wrong. Dier has a wonderful grasp of the game and sees passes that will make a difference, and attempts to complete them. As with all "killer" passes they all have a low percentage chance of success and against a defence as packed as Thursdays, that margin gets tighter. I'd rather see people trying to make a difference than players who are just unable to do so.
Sissoko is a big, strong fit and astonishingly fast player for his size and you rarely see players get past him. He carries the ball well in a straight line but has shown no evidence of an end product, either an offload to player more likely to score, a cross, pass or shot that takes advantage of the ground he just made.
More goals and assists than Dier? - if the people that make that comment would seek to justify Sissoko on the team sheet before Dier because of that, then I would suggest they have much to learn about the game.
Sissoko did not let The spam get that result but every time a team carries a passenger it makes the collective output drop, top sides don't have players who can't do the basics right.
Finally any claims that Sissoko was not to blame for the goal may well be true, it was a magnificent strike that I believe would have beaten any keeper playing the game today (unless they had specifically been marking that post)
But - Sissoko was directly in front of the scorer and could have thrown his body in front of the ball to block it as many players (like Dier does all the time) do, but instead - before the ball is struck, he turns his upper body and head away to protect himself, rather than concentrating on the ball and trying to block it.
I think he would have failed, it was that good a strike, but he gave up on it.
My continued participation in this debate is because of the lies and abuse I've received, and has been a patient attempt to explain why I think the guy is surplus to requirements.
I've never called him shit though.

What do you think about him as right back.... Or, controversially, centre back in a back three...in any of the three places.

I don’t think you’re being serious but his best position imo is central midfield where he can run at defences
He has a good engine so can track back where necessary

I don’t think you’re being serious but his best position imo is central midfield where he can run at defences
He has a good engine so can track back where necessary

Seriously serious suggestion....can tackle, has pace and strength, the wings are less congested which gives him space to run into....work on his crossing and it's a potential...we all know that trips (who I am totally ambivalent about) seems to not want/be able to run at people whereas we know Sissoko will.
Can't remember who said it on here but they said that full back was an easier position to play for lesser players (my words but I can't remember the exact words used).

So, yeah, I think it's a possibility that could be investigated for when Poch wants to rotate those full backs.

Bazali i don't really care if people laugh at my Sissokohno joke or not. I don't need likes,agrees or anything else to make me feel good. I post what I want to post when I want and however many times I want. I've not been here long but you seem to be the only one who has some sort of beef with me which is ok with me. You also seem to be the only one who is convinced I'm someone's multi or whatever you call it. A few people on here have warned me about what you're like but I like to judge for myself so I will leave it at that and just read your antics from afar. I obviously wanted to quote your post but there is some block on me doing that which i guess you can set up but as I say I'm new on here so don't know that or its like you constantly point out its because I'm thick. Keep smiling bud

Ok if you’re not a multi then I apologise but it seemed a bit of a coincidence you popping up during the middle of a cunt off in the Forum toilet with the most despicable poster on here

I like a lot of others can give or take banter but surely calling fellow Spurs fans and Forum posters nonces goes over the top???

Anyway enough said

I'm trying to be patient with Moussa, but it is difficult to see what he adds to the team. Personally I wouldn't start him as a first choice but ok as a squad player. By the end of the season, he may have turned it around but if someone is daft enough to give us our money back, I would take it.

I think he brings another dimension of physicality and pace which Poch sees as another option

I can see his faults, his occasional clumsiness and lack of control all too clearly and he wouldn’t be in my starting XV but some of the abuse he receives is way out of order and is all too reminiscent of the abuse Lamela used to receive

If anyone pulls on our shirt and our manager picks him to represent us we should get behind him and try to focus on the good he does rather than be negative

Happy to go with Poch on this who clearly rates him

Ok if you’re not a multi then I apologise but it seemed a bit of a coincidence you popping up during the middle of a cunt off in the Forum toilet with the most despicable poster on here

I like a lot of others can give or take banter but surely calling fellow Spurs fans and Forum posters nonces goes over the top???

Anyway enough said
Ok Cool But who called who nonces ?????

All good points...I guess his crossing could be worked on...it seems he has the other attributes already....might email Poch...assuming he's not reading my posts! Lol

He needs more than his crossing to be worked on

He needs to take players on before he crosses but he doesn’t

Having said that and apologies if I’ve already said something similar but both Rose and Walker improved massively under Poch and Ben is only 24
If he does attain that level I will be delighted but my point is that he hasn’t shown it yet

First off Whoscored ratings are based 100% off stats, it’s a stats based model, so don’t understand the logic of using it when trying to undermine the stats used by others.

Standing on the half way line categorically proves he was playing as a holding midfielder, just like Dier’s heat map you mention but we all know Diers’s position, ask yourself why his heat map is where it is and the answer is he played as a DM, covering Autier allowing Autier to push on without the space vacated to be exploited as they did when we played them a year earlier with Walker!!! When playing against a side sat on their penalty area all game where exactly are you expecting the average position of a DM position to be??? Check the heat maps of Sanchez and Vertonghen, think you’ Find theirs would be on the halfway line too given the entire game was play in the oppo half.

He wasn’t standing in the way of Aurier, the commonly held view is that Aurier was our best player on the night, how did he manage that with Sissoko “standing in his way”. It has also been noted by many others based on many other games that he appears to link up well with Auier, again something he did well that night. The hestmap you mention also proves he was covering Aurier, something that I, a defender of his in this game, mentioned a few times in post match comments as to describe the position and role he was asked to play.

Compare is passing stats to Dier who also played as a DM.

Absolutely NO-ONE has claimed he was one of our best players. The defense of him has come from those re-acting to him being the only player being called out, when there where others, Dier, who were worse on the night. Those defending him said he was playing DM, as your post clearly shows, with your heat map findings, the relevance of this was he played this role, the same as Winks does, Dier does, which largely means the recycling the ball (sideways passes, short passes) the VERY thing he was being slated for.

For the 100th time, HE’s NOT A GREAT PLAYER, but judge his individual performances based on the possition he’s ask to play and the level of slating he gets is totally unwarranted. It proves people A) scapegoat b) find it hard to analyze a game (this isn’t meant as a personal dig to anyone), vast majority of footballgoers don't analyze the game but infuriatingly attempt to and get it spectacularly wrong as in this case. Football still involves opinions which can be debated, but let’s get the basic fundamentals right first and foremost, HE WAS PLAYING AS A HOLDING MIDFIELDER and his performance in this game should be judged in this context alone.

I tip my hat Sir

If you are corralling me into the same group then I'd like to point out that none of my comments are meant or intended to make him a scapegoat for the result.
I knew what his role in the game was and I have never attempted to level a lack of team discipline as being a fault of his.
I have been entirely consistent in my criticism of the guy and that has been of the across the board level of the "bread and butter" skills that you would expect from a top flight professional footballer.
His ball control is woeful in comparison with his teammates, from bringing the ball under control when receiving a pass, to keeping it under control to shield it from opponents. His passing is very poor, despite what the stats freaks quote, because he often offloads to players and puts them in immediate pressure, either because they are marked or because they have to check back to retrieve or sprint to beat an opponent to it.
Apart from a straight line running race with the ball his control "in motion" is poor and often results in losing control or farcically standing on or tripping over the ball. I don't think I can recall another professional in over 40 years of watching the game, do this as often as he does.
He seems to possess little or no ability to read or dictate play, he seems entirely reactive to events. You and others claim Dier had a worse game than him, which I think is wrong. Dier has a wonderful grasp of the game and sees passes that will make a difference, and attempts to complete them. As with all "killer" passes they all have a low percentage chance of success and against a defence as packed as Thursdays, that margin gets tighter. I'd rather see people trying to make a difference than players who are just unable to do so.
Sissoko is a big, strong fit and astonishingly fast player for his size and you rarely see players get past him. He carries the ball well in a straight line but has shown no evidence of an end product, either an offload to player more likely to score, a cross, pass or shot that takes advantage of the ground he just made.
More goals and assists than Dier? - if the people that make that comment would seek to justify Sissoko on the team sheet before Dier because of that, then I would suggest they have much to learn about the game.
Sissoko did not let The spam get that result but every time a team carries a passenger it makes the collective output drop, top sides don't have players who can't do the basics right.
Finally any claims that Sissoko was not to blame for the goal may well be true, it was a magnificent strike that I believe would have beaten any keeper playing the game today (unless they had specifically been marking that post)
But - Sissoko was directly in front of the scorer and could have thrown his body in front of the ball to block it as many players (like Dier does all the time) do, but instead - before the ball is struck, he turns his upper body and head away to protect himself, rather than concentrating on the ball and trying to block it.
I think he would have failed, it was that good a strike, but he gave up on it.
My continued participation in this debate is because of the lies and abuse I've received, and has been a patient attempt to explain why I think the guy is surplus to requirements.
I've never called him shit though.

I disagree with you Mick but respect your well reasoned thought out point of view

Ah'. now I have a theory on that.

Maybe Poch thinks he is shit, but he's been told by L£vy that he needs to sell before he buys. And because we know Poch is desperate for new additions, he feels forced to play him to put him in the shop window, so to speak

wGdM5.gif

Do you honestly think Poch would do something like that?

He picks the best side for each particular game

Good GIF though

It's pretty simple from where I'm looking. Sissoko is a very limited player with good athleticism, he can run in straight lines into open space. He is not completely useless, but his uses are just as limited as he is. We don't play too many games where we have oceans of space to run in. For example, he was decent against Real Madrid, because they had no intention of closing us down and we could keep running at them trying to nick the ball and counter. But he was completely unsuited against West Ham where they had 11 men in their penalty box and we couldn't move for bodies.

The real problem is just how often we are relying on him. If he was just the occasional option on the bench or a rare start, it would be fine. But the fact that he is getting so much playing time is what I find baffling. It's either an indictment of our squad from the manager or betraying his level of trust in our youth players, or he just wants to put Sissoko in the shop window!

Go on the Forum toilet and Judas award threads

You know what I’m talking about and you asking a question like that doesn’t do you any favours unless you’re being deliberately obtuse
Look buddy I don't wanna fall out straight after 'making up ' but I can't see any references to that. I've re read my comments and if I've said anything you've misconstrued then I too apologise .

I disagree with you Mick but respect your well reasoned thought out point of view
You f***ing lying c***. Get f***ed Baz you tragic moron.
How's that for abuse, like I give two shits about being polite to some c*** on the internet

Oh - my mistake, wrong quote

We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender

nope nope, thats not it.... bugger!

hang on, here it is

Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

Nope - this is it

"Cheers Baz"

(do we fight to the death now?)

You f***ing lying c***. Get f***ed Baz you tragic moron.
How's that for abuse, like I give two shits about being polite to some c*** on the internet

Oh - my mistake, wrong quote

We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender

nope nope, thats not it.... bugger!

hang on, here it is

Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

Nope - this is it

"Cheers Baz"

(do we fight to the death now?)

My seconds will call on you at dawn

Be warned I’m lethal with blancmange

Back
Top Bottom