Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Even removing the large transfer fee from the equation and imagining he was purchased for £2m I struggle. Years ago he would have given players like Zakora a run for their money but we've moved on from there haven't we? I know not everyone can bang in 30+ goals, be a genius in the middle or sure up the defence but I feel we need players with more consistent ability. Can't fault his fitness and willing but bad technically and often hampers rather than helps the transition. As a squad player, to come in and help right back when stretched he is ok. Just a shame we spunked £30M on him - feck, there goes the comparison to transfer fee again.

If you are corralling me into the same group then I'd like to point out that none of my comments are meant or intended to make him a scapegoat for the result.
I knew what his role in the game was and I have never attempted to level a lack of team discipline as being a fault of his.
I have been entirely consistent in my criticism of the guy and that has been of the across the board level of the "bread and butter" skills that you would expect from a top flight professional footballer.
His ball control is woeful in comparison with his teammates, from bringing the ball under control when receiving a pass, to keeping it under control to shield it from opponents. His passing is very poor, despite what the stats freaks quote, because he often offloads to players and puts them in immediate pressure, either because they are marked or because they have to check back to retrieve or sprint to beat an opponent to it.
Apart from a straight line running race with the ball his control "in motion" is poor and often results in losing control or farcically standing on or tripping over the ball. I don't think I can recall another professional in over 40 years of watching the game, do this as often as he does.
He seems to possess little or no ability to read or dictate play, he seems entirely reactive to events. You and others claim Dier had a worse game than him, which I think is wrong. Dier has a wonderful grasp of the game and sees passes that will make a difference, and attempts to complete them. As with all "killer" passes they all have a low percentage chance of success and against a defence as packed as Thursdays, that margin gets tighter. I'd rather see people trying to make a difference than players who are just unable to do so.
Sissoko is a big, strong fit and astonishingly fast player for his size and you rarely see players get past him. He carries the ball well in a straight line but has shown no evidence of an end product, either an offload to player more likely to score, a cross, pass or shot that takes advantage of the ground he just made.
More goals and assists than Dier? - if the people that make that comment would seek to justify Sissoko on the team sheet before Dier because of that, then I would suggest they have much to learn about the game.
Sissoko did not let The spam get that result but every time a team carries a passenger it makes the collective output drop, top sides don't have players who can't do the basics right.
Finally any claims that Sissoko was not to blame for the goal may well be true, it was a magnificent strike that I believe would have beaten any keeper playing the game today (unless they had specifically been marking that post)
But - Sissoko was directly in front of the scorer and could have thrown his body in front of the ball to block it as many players (like Dier does all the time) do, but instead - before the ball is struck, he turns his upper body and head away to protect himself, rather than concentrating on the ball and trying to block it.
I think he would have failed, it was that good a strike, but he gave up on it.
My continued participation in this debate is because of the lies and abuse I've received, and has been a patient attempt to explain why I think the guy is surplus to requirements.
I've never called him shit though.
And the problem is he’s not judged for the individual performance, I know he’s control is shit, I’ve mentioned it many occasions, joking that his 2nd touch is usually a tackle but he didn’t miss control a ball (that I can recal) in that game, and that’s the entire point of my defence and my attack on those that slated him during and after that game. It’s really that simple. Many people slating him for a performance that didn’t warrant it. Taking past performances and/or elements of his game that are indisputable to show his limitations but apply those to him whilst playing against West Ham. That’s the point.

I can’t stand Tripps, I think he’s shit, our worst player, worse player than Sissoko for what it’s worth. This gives me a confirmation bias THST I’m fully aware of because of it I try hard not to pipe up unless he plays shit. Same works in the opposite will look to praise a good performance.

TDLR. Judge the individual performance against the role asked of him to perform for that individual game. That’s my entire point I’m making.

And the problem is he’s not judged for the individual performance, I know he’s control is shit, I’ve mentioned it many occasions, joking that his 2nd touch is usually a tackle but he didn’t miss control a ball (that I can recal) in that game, and that’s the entire point of my defence and my attack on those that slated him during and after that game. It’s really that simple. Many people slating him for a performance that didn’t warrant it. Taking past performances and/or elements of his game that are indisputable to show his limitations but apply those to him whilst playing against West Ham. That’s the point.

I can’t stand Tripps, I think he’s shit, our worst player, worse player than Sissoko for what it’s worth. This gives me a confirmation bias THST I’m fully aware of because of it I try hard not to pipe up unless he plays shit. Same works in the opposite will look to praise a good performance.

TDLR. Judge the individual performance against the role asked of him to perform for that individual game. That’s my entire point I’m making.
Trippier is a better footballer than Sissoko.
He’s not big or fast, but he can trap a ball better than Sissoko can trap his own wind.
I judge that on seeing them both play many times. And in my defence, I agree with you about Trippier’s limitations.
Neither are top drawer, but your dislike of Trippier is another man’s dislike of Sissoko. If you’re a fan of a player, it’s irrational to another fan who doesn’t rate the same lad.
I don’t get why you rigorously defend Sissoko (who I still think is a fucking pudding) whilst shitstomping Trippier. Whatever the stats say or don’t, Trippier assists more to the cause than the lumbering misfielder who plays ahead of him.

Edit- missed the Sammy & Mick cunt off.
Solid 8/10 gentlemen. That is some old school rivalry. Both making very good points that get lost in the savage battle of wits. Keep it clean. As you were chaps.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

I understand what you're saying, and I'm confident that I did.
I'm not interested in vendettas or having favourite players and I could go through a similar analysis on all of the players, from my perspective! I have made no claims to be an expert, or no claims to be more astute than our manager, who I believe has produced the best footballing Spurs team that I have seen since I started watching in the 60s.
I really respect what you are doing as you are doing a better job of what I have tried to do in the past over the mindless abuse that ex players took from the on line "super pundits" or self appointed experts in their field.
I understand that Sissoko can have games where he can appear half decent, but I'm not going to set much store on opposition like Wimbledon. His inability to maintain a constant level is one thing, but even at his best I don't believe him to be good enough for our needs. Or good enough to be in our best first XI.
I have explained enough about what I think of him and I'm fed up of being hectored by abusive posters over it. I come on here to chat with spurs fans who are happy to talk like grown ups, so it's great to have a reasonable discussion with posters like yourself, so thank you for that.
I will spend more time looking for the good in him and try harder to ignore the stuff that astonished me about him. I just don't remember seeing a player do some of the stuff he does in a long time and because the quality of his peers is so high, it tends to stand out more.

Is everyone saying he can be good at times and the whole debate is just over how consistent he should be with that high level?

Or do people genuinely think he is never good enough

True Sissoko was not worth the 30mil paid for him, but that's not his fault, that's our fault. True he doesn't glisten, but he works hard, and a month ago when we were down to bare bones having him as a utility player sealed the plug in the dam for us.

If we can get 15 mil for him great, if not I don't mind him staying as a squad player and I urge everyone to stand behind him

Trippier is a better footballer than Sissoko.
He’s not big or fast, but he can trap a ball better than Sissoko can trap his own wind.
I judge that on seeing them both play many times. And in my defence, I agree with you about Trippier’s limitations.
Neither are top drawer, but your dislike of Trippier is another man’s dislike of Sissoko. If you’re a fan of a player, it’s irrational to another fan who doesn’t rate the same lad.
I don’t get why you rigorously defend Sissoko (who I still think is a fucking pudding) whilst shitstomping Trippier. Whatever the stats say or don’t, Trippier assists more to the cause than the lumbering misfielder who plays ahead of him.

Solid 8/10 gentlemen. That is some old school rivalry. Both making very good points that get lost in the savage battle of wits. Keep it clean. As you were chaps.
I only tear into young Tripps if and when he's shit, so after a game, I also make sure he gets praise when earned, although his shit games are so frequent I sometimes don't even bother. Only time I may pipe up on him away from a game is when someone may still call him "better than Walker" which is guaranteed to get me to responded, game or no game.

I defend Sissoko ONLY when I feel he is being slated for no reason, as in what feels is 80% of his games. I think he's a poor footballer, said it before we signed him and nothing has changed my view of him.

All this said and done he's bringing something to our games at the moment. Not in a creative sense, not in sense of flair, but not sure that was what he has ever done(??), maybe those who slate him literally every game (not directing that at anyone in particular, but 100% he gets it from fans be they in the stands or online and immediate response after West Ham game backs that up) think he's supposed to be a flair player a tricky winger that set-up gaols every week and may be thats why he gets a lot of stick. His contributions started last year when he came off the bench in games, mainly to see out the last 10 mins of game, he stopped us sitting deep as he carried the ball up the pitch, made us play 20yrd further forward, absolutely nothing spectacular but his presence, strength and ability to carry the ball freed our defence from a team pushing-on for an equaliser. He's no calamity, Paulinho (couldn't give a fuck what he's doing today for Barca) was, he cost us points when he would hide, not track back, not tackle and generally ghost around in games, we played with 10 men when he played. Nothing individual Sissoko has dane has contributed to a loss or dropped points, he may have been contributed to a poor game but just as poor as other players in a poor performance but it was always Sissoko's that took the abuse. The West Ham game encapsulated everything, gets slated for doing the role he was asked to perform (majority didn't even notice the position he was playing in, yet banged on about "what does he do", "sideways passes", "only short passes" while Dier playing in exactly the position (I love the lad and would pick him every week) played far worse yet not a word from anyone about how poor he was.

His contributions this season have been far better, again nothing spectacular, no flair, nothing flashy, he is a utility player, a water carrier a functional player who looks awkward on the ball, awkward in the tackle, awkward controlling the ball but for all his awkwardness he usually emerges with the ball at his feet with an oppo player lying on the floor scratching his head at how this was possible. His pressing has also been highly effective too. He has proved to be relatively flexible in the positions Poch has got him to play (Wing-Back, CM, RCM, Right Wing and now DM). There have also been genuine moments of excitement specifically when he runs into space with pace be that with or without the ball. He's one of the most unselfish players on the team, when attacking he will always look to pass to Kane, Dele, Son, Eriksen when a shot would have been the better option. Compared to our previous benches we have had, with him on it he's improved it. When he comes on he functionally carries out his role, doesn't cost us points, doesn't weaken the team. People always look to an oppo bench in awe by saying look who they can bring on, well with Sissoko we have a regular French international (one of the top teams in the World) to call on to see out a game, not change a game if we are losing or drawing I might add.

If he was sold tomorrow I wouldn't shed a single tear as there are many better players than him. For me the biggest downside to him being with us has been at the expense of Josh Onomah. Onomah has so much potential as a player (who's performances out shown Winks in our academy), I think Onomah would have delivered the same as Sissoko, no worse, no better but he would have got minutes, build his confidence. It would have been yet another passionate Yid, coming through the academy. It would have meant £30m could have been spent on better be that one player or a couple.

Sorry for the essay but kind of lays out how I feel about the player.

Not sure if it qualified as much more than a foul mouthed and entirely unnecessary rant, from someone who appears to have lost all sense of reason.
Each to their own I suppose.

I was very angry when we signed Sissoko but mainly because £30m for a player like that is utterly ridiculous and I work fucking hard for the money that I give to the club for tickets, shit merchandise etc etc.

When we were crap in the nineties, if you’d told me that in a little over a decade we’d be buying players at that value, I would have hoped that it wouldn’t be on people from a relegated team whose fans disliked them. It just felt like a step too far in ENIC taking fans’ money for granted or even with disdain.

I realise that it’s a bit of an over reaction and also that none of it is MS’s fault. This season I’ve tried to look at it more objectively and I do think that he’s a decent defensive midfielder who works hard for the team and can occasionally do his bit going forward too. His role is basically to be solid which he is.

I agree with Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 that Tripps has been very disappointing this season. I really thought that he could easily be better than Kyle Walker: I just don’t think he’s worked hard enough.

But this squad is going through a tricky period by our own recent high standards, and they all need us to back them, support them, and get through this damn Wembley season as best we can before the emotional euphoria of being back in Tottenham at the best stadium in Europe.

#lovetheshirt

COYS.

I'll tell you what I think - I think Sissoko was Poch's choice. I think he wanted him and although he was ludicrously overpriced Levy backed him. So I can't really complain. Sissoko works hard, sometimes, when he is relaxed he is quite effective in his role actually, it's really his consistency of technique that is the problem and he's too old to correct that enough now. As Poch says though we are a team not a group of individual players. It is what it is.

I was very angry when we signed Sissoko but mainly because £30m for a player like that is utterly ridiculous and I work fucking hard for the money that I give to the club for tickets, shit merchandise etc etc.

When we were crap in the nineties, if you’d told me that in a little over a decade we’d be buying players at that value, I would have hoped that it wouldn’t be on people from a relegated team whose fans disliked them. It just felt like a step too far in ENIC taking fans’ money for granted or even with disdain.

I realise that it’s a bit of an over reaction and also that none of it is MS’s fault. This season I’ve tried to look at it more objectively and I do think that he’s a decent defensive midfielder who works hard for the team and can occasionally do his bit going forward too. His role is basically to be solid which he is.

I agree with Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 that Tripps has been very disappointing this season. I really thought that he could easily be better than Kyle Walker: I just don’t think he’s worked hard enough.

But this squad is going through a tricky period by our own recent high standards, and they all need us to back them, support them, and get through this damn Wembley season as best we can before the emotional euphoria of being back in Tottenham at the best stadium in Europe.

#lovetheshirt

COYS.

Pretty much how I feel. Strange signing but needs our support. We all saw in the European Championship that he’s capable of activating beast mode.

Levy must be pretty hesitant about big money signings. Bent, Bentley, Paulinho, Lamela to an extent, and now Sissoko. A huge amount of money spent on them, and none of them really turned out to be worth the expense (though there’s still hope for Lamela).

Sanchez looks very likely to be a big win though. The guy is class, and so far worth every penny.

Sorry, I was supportive of him for quite a long period of time. but he adds so little and seems unable to shoot the ball towards the fucking net. that pass to Lamela was absolutely foolish. It will be best if he'll say his goodbye in the summer

Was at the game and from my perspective (admittedly close on the goal line) I thought he looked better today particularly in the first half then the last game I saw against West Ham. He did drive forward well with the ball and linked up well with Aurier.

I've also defended him a lot but he doesn't add a lot off offensive end product sadly. Which is what offensive midfielders are judged on.

He seems better at the defensive work and did a lot in that regard today, covering for Serge and later Kieran.

It's weird how no coach got the idea to convert the guy into a defensive mid. He has the tools for it. Big, strong, decent defensive positional awareness. And he is quick. Having a speedy powerhouse of a sweeper DM does not sound too bad.

Imagine if someone had caught on to that earlier in his career and converted him

I've also defended him a lot but he doesn't add a lot off offensive end product sadly. Which is what offensive midfielders are judged on.

He seems better at the defensive work and did a lot in that regard today, covering for Serge and later Kieran.

It's weird how no coach got the idea to convert the guy into a defensive mid. He has the tools for it. Big, strong, decent defensive positional awareness. And he is quick. Having a speedy powerhouse of a sweeper DM does not sound too bad.

Imagine if someone had caught on to that earlier in his career and converted him
I reckon he should pay right back. Speed power, can tackle and go up and down the line all day long.

Back
Top Bottom