New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh hooray for this imaginary offer that comes in for a higher annual value over a shorter term despite the competitive position of the club eroding, some of the NFL games that made the rights appealing already being burned through, the temporary name of Tottenham Hotspur Stadium getting ever more established and diluting the brand value, and oh yeah the catastrophic global financial recession.

Levy absolutely screwed the pooch on this. The offer he had in hand in 2018 was the best one that was ever going to come, but he is psychotically dedicated to brinksmanship and the grenade blew up in his hand.

If you had seen a string of record naming rights deals signed around the planet you just might have a point - but of course you don't as they haven't happened.

Why are you always so glass half empty?

The catastrophic global financial recession has enabled us to restructure our bond finances saving around 230m over the next 30 years, far more than we've lost due to a couple of years with no naming rights ... but hey focus on the negatives if you must, in life I can assure you always being Mr Negative won't bring you much joy.

"The offer he had in 2018 was the best one that was ever going to come" - said nobody ever.

Maybe the 450k for Kane that Millwall offered in 2012 was the "best offer that was ever going to come" reading your comments I reckon you'd have been begging Levy to take the money, may fans were .... so how would that have worked out?

You have no idea what has or hasn't been offered as a naming rights deal not have I. Why not hope that at some point not that far away Levy pulls off a mega deal, why would any Spurs fan wish for anything less?

Why are you always so glass half empty?

I'm not glass half empty at all, I think the club are in a very robust position, and I'm as admiring of ENIC's management and vision for the club as anybody.

But Levy fucked up on the naming rights, in a way that is endemic to other remaining weaknesses in his leadership of the club. That an unforseen economic calamity may have helped us out with our stadium financing (I hope you're right) has nothing to do with it.

I'm not glass half empty at all, I think the club are in a very robust position, and I'm as admiring of ENIC's management and vision for the club as anybody.

But Levy fucked up on the naming rights, in a way that is endemic to other remaining weaknesses in his leadership of the club. That an unforseen economic calamity may have helped us out with our stadium financing (I hope you're right) has nothing to do with it.
Fair enough but if you accept that an unforeseen economic calamity may have helped us out with our stadium financing, doesn't it also apply that an unforeseen economic calamity may have hindered us out with our stadium naming rights?

Either way let's agree that the sooner he gets a good deal the better ... glasses half full all around.

Oh hooray for this imaginary offer that comes in for a higher annual value over a shorter term despite the competitive position of the club eroding, some of the NFL games that made the rights appealing already being burned through, the temporary name of Tottenham Hotspur Stadium getting ever more established and diluting the brand value, and oh yeah the catastrophic global financial recession.

Levy absolutely screwed the pooch on this. The offer he had in hand in 2018 was the best one that was ever going to come, but he is psychotically dedicated to brinksmanship and the grenade blew up in his hand.

Who/how much?

Genuine question.... I've asked this before, but just got greeted with "Bah, ENIC-bot" from the usual covern of twats.

Last edited:
It's all good, mate... FightingIllini FightingIllini is good for a genuine discussion... I have faith he'll answer in due course.
Yeah, he is tbf. So are some others.

The others......... Well you know, the ones who say Levy is the devil, all our players are shit, our new signings are shit (especially before they've even kicked a ball), stadium was a waste of money, etc, etc, etc.
They're the "real" Spurs fans.

Who/how much?

Genuine question.... I've asked this before, but just got greeted with "Bah, ENIC-bot" from he usual covern of twats.

According to the Telegraph, the Spurs chief is demanding a whopping £25m a year from any interested parties, and he has confirmed that he still isn’t close to agreeing any deal.

In addition to the price, Levy wants a 15-year commitment, meaning on his terms the club would earn a total of £375m.

The report adds that experts believe a more realistic valuation is £17.5m per year, with one source telling the newspaper: “If you look at global equivalents, Daniel Levy is quoting too high”.

But the chairman made it clear in an interview that he was not planning on budging with his demands.

The two organisations already have strong links from the bank’s expression of interest in buying the Naming Rights to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, the club’s 62,000-capacity arena which opened towards the end of last season.

It is understood that talks between Mark Tucker, the HSBC chairman, and Daniel Levy, the club’s chairman, failed to advance because of the price demanded by the club. It is thought that Spurs was looking for £20m ($25.1m/€22.7m) per year for the stadium deal.

The inner workings of these things are never public, but I think this is about as clear as you're likely to see, not to mention the many many other rumors of interest we heard that weren't formally reported.

Let's suppose that HSBC were willing to offer 17M per year for 10 years, which is probably very conservative given the higher market valuation given, but lets be conservative, I think that's a reasonable inference of something that was available to us as of the stadium opening.

Let's suppose that Levy in fact signs a deal two years later (next April) for naming rights, also for 10 years.

In order to make up for that lost revenue, it would have to be 21.2M per year, and that's not even accounting for the by then longer term of the agreement occupying future years in which the market price of the asset ought to have grown in the same way shirt sponsorship deals do.

And while Covid was an unforeseen wrench that obviously puts anyone seeking commercial revenue in a bind, it was completely foreseeable that the more of the limited number of contractually obligated NFL games were played and in the rear view mirror, and the more established the "Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" branding became (as opposed to a brand-new unnamed venue that would become shorthanded just by the winning bidder, a very valuable commodity in these things) that the value of the rights Levy was marketing were going to go down, not up, over time.

He fucked it up. He fucked it up with the well-worn Levy insane brinkmanship that underlies all of his successes and all of his failures. And the face-saving deal isn't coming. He needs do what he did with Christian Eriksen in January, take what's left to be had and move on to other business where the club are in a stronger position and can do more good for itself.

Back
Top Bottom