New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cheers, one less thing to worry about. Just need to get my COVID pass to work with my phone camera now.
Bring back the days in the early 80s when I used to rock up to the east stand turnstiles with £1.50 cash (yeh, cash, who remembers that) and get squashed through the gates by the Big Boys.
:harrylol:
I remember it well. Only it was 10/- for a seat in the South Upper...

I remember it well. Only it was 10/- for a seat in the South Upper...
For those who don't understand the code, that's 10 shillings (50p) - or less than a dollar.

BEGINNERS' GUIDE:
LSD = Pound, Shillings & Pence
12d = 1 shilling
30 pence = Half a crown (two and a tanner)
240 pence = £1
£1/1/0 = A Guinea

...and don't even get me started on tanners, thrup'ny bits and farthings.

How long till Boris brings it back?

For those who don't understand the code, that's 10 shillings (50p) - or less than a dollar.

BEGINNERS' GUIDE:
12d = 1 shilling
30 pence = Half a crown
240 pence = £1
£1/1/0 = A Guinea

I almost said ten bob, but I thought almost everyone would have thought I’d lost the plot.

And don’t forget that 5/- was half a dollar. I think.

I almost said ten bob, but I thought almost everyone would have thought I’d lost the plot.

And don’t forget that 5/- was half a dollar. I think.
I still really miss the old coinage. On a Saturday, when we got our pocket money, my mate and I would go to Barclays Bank and get some 5 shilling bags of pennies. (120 old pennies in a 5/- bag, of course)
We'd sit on the town Car Park wall and sort through them. We knew what we were looking for.
When we found a penny that was worth more than face value (eg a good quality one from the 1800's, with Queen Victoria on it, or a rare date, minted at a particular mint, for one of the Edwards or Georges), we'd take it along to the coin/stamp shop and sell it to him. Saleable ones weren't uncommon!
Those were the days! Our current coinage has very little heritage.

I still really miss the old coinage. On a Saturday, when we got our pocket money, my mate and I would go to Barclays Bank and get some 5 shilling bags of pennies. (120 old pennies in a 5/- bag, of course)
We'd sit on the town Car Park wall and sort through them. We knew what we were looking for.
When we found a penny that was worth more than face value (eg a good quality one from the 1800's, with Queen Victoria on it, or a rare date, minted at a particular mint, for one of the Edwards or Georges), we'd take it along to the coin/stamp shop and sell it to him. Saleable ones weren't uncommon!
Those were the days! Our current coinage has very little heritage.
Ha! Yeah I remember doing that too.

1912/18/19H and 1918/19KN minted at the Heaton and Kings Norton mints in Birmingham.

The amount of useless stuff that I can still remember. And the useful stuff that I can't...

Ha! Yeah I remember doing that too.

1912/18/19H and 1918/19KN minted at the Heaton and Kings Norton mints in Birmingham.

The amount of useless stuff that I can still remember. And the useful stuff that I can't...
Haha - your memory's better than mine. I couldn't have remembered those details.

BEGINNERS' GUIDE:
12d = 1 shilling
30 pence = Half a crown (two and a tanner)
240 pence = £1
£1/1/0 = A Guinea

Thrup'ny bits,
:ledleylick:

Thrup'ny bits,
:ledleylick:
Hahha. Cockney rhyming slang?

The two top ones. Lovely little coins.

RCR26Vj.jpg

Back
Top Bottom