New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Massive mistake to spend upwards of 250m on the chance of getting concessions rights for 20 games of American Football in ten years.

How many hot dogs is that?

Khan should fail in getting Wembley and rightly so. But I’m still not convinced adding so much price to a football stadium was ever the way forward.

Massive mistake to spend upwards of 250m on the chance of getting concessions rights for 20 games of American Football in ten years.

Khan should fail in getting Wembley and rightly so. But I’m still not convinced adding so much price to a football stadium was ever the way forward.
Any source for the £250m? Not heard that before and sounds like a huge amount for a rolling pitch and some large changing rooms.

Any source for the £250m? Not heard that before and sounds like a huge amount for a rolling pitch and some large changing rooms.

Well the Evening Standard...you can find it if you want....says we are now looking at 850 million total spend and may well rise to a billion...do you think that would have happened if it wasn’t for a ridiculous duo purpose stadium.

It was a massive infrastructure change to accommodate such largesse.

250m .... did you just make that up?

NFL generates 14B a year in income (expected to double in 10 years time) .... that's across 250 games, playing just two games a season, so roughly 1%, could bring in 140m .... that's the whole point ....

Well the Evening Standard...you can find it if you want....says we are now looking at 850 million total spend and may well rise to a billion...do you think that would have happened if it wasn’t for a ridiculous duo purpose stadium.

Right, so you've plucked the proportion that's down to the NFL out of thin air?

Not worth a full explanation .... just go and look at the breakdown of spend, less than 60% is on the stadium the rest is on supporting infrastructure .... the NFL cost is negligible and was covered by the NFL (about the only sole use facility are the additional changing rooms) once you consider that the replacement pitch can be used to hold well over 100 events a year you can easily understand that 2 NFL matches are not the only driver ...

In practice a Spurs game at 12:30 ... role away the pitch by 5pm, hold a concert at 7pm .... and that's just on game days ... there are another 300+ days when the ground can be used for other events ....

The NFL generates huge cash and it will fill a 62,000 stadium .... but it's not the only means of gaining additional revenue ... just you wait and see rather than spouting unsupported nonsense ....

Not worth a full explanation .... just go and look at the breakdown of spend, less than 60% is on the stadium the rest is on supporting infrastructure .... the NFL cost is negligible and was covered by the NFL (about the only sole use facility are the additional changing rooms) once you consider that the replacement pitch can be used to hold well over 100 events a year you can easily understand that 2 NFL matches are not the only driver ...

In practice a Spurs game at 12:30 ... role away the pitch by 5pm, hold a concert at 7pm .... and that's just on game days ... there are another 300+ days when the ground can be used for other events ....

The NFL generates huge cash and it will fill a 62,000 stadium .... but it's not the only means of gaining additional revenue ... just you wait and see rather than spouting unsupported nonsense ....

Your living in cloud cuckoo land if you think two days of NFL will generate 140m quid. You do realise we only have the rights to the concession stands right? If Khan gets Wembley that’s the NFL done btw. And if you think Haringey will allow pop concerts then again your living in cloud cuckoo land. The Emirates have had 3 or 4 concerts in ten years? The local community won’t tolerate it.

It’s meant to be a football stadium.

No it's not.

That's the point. It's a multipurpose stadium. The retractable pitch enables just that. It can compete with all London Stadia that puts on Concerts, it will probably win the competitive process to win them too, as there is minimal staff required to transform it from Football/Ruby to concert, time is money and if all it takes to get it to a hard surface is a flick of a switch the costs to get it to that stage are eliminated.

What makes you think Khan's NFL bid is better than ours? Apart from the obvious one in that he hasn't actually got the stadium and therefore the rights to do anything. Wembley isn't designed for NFL, our new place is, all the way down to dedicated changing rooms, fans zones that emulate the tunnel clubs in the US, no, not our glass one that's for football but we've created a similar non-glassed area in the East Stand, and as for the East Stand all of it is dedicated for NFL. Wembley doesn't have this. It also has to block off it's first 20 odd rows.

The only I'm a little nervous on atm is the roof - so far they are probably averaging about 4 or so a day and almost the full 800 to go, so they need to bank on good weather and really increase installation rates to closer to 15 - 20 a day and probably closer to the 20 number if the roof needs to be complete before the test events.
If they do 10 a day it's done by mid July, pretty much. I mantain that the biggest worry is the pitch, as a retractable, interlocking, sectioned pitch is untried on this scale ( to my knowledge)

When they bring in safe standing, will the biggest bloke in the world, come and stand right in front of me, like he did in the old days.
Every fucking game.
Will you pay for my season ticket?
I'm tall AND wide, so I can fuck up 3 people.
And due to my enormous cock, if I get a hard on it'll hit the person in front ( with Lloris' smouldering good looks, that's guaranteed too)

No it's not.

That's the point. It's a multipurpose stadium. The retractable pitch enables just that. It can compete with all London Stadia that puts on Concerts, it will probably win the competitive process to win them too, as there is minimal staff required to transform it from Football/Ruby to concert, time is money and if all it takes to get it to a hard surface is a flick of a switch the costs to get it to that stage are eliminated.

What makes you think Khan's NFL bid is better than ours? Apart from the obvious one in that he hasn't actually got the stadium and therefore the rights to do anything. Wembley isn't designed for NFL, our new place is, all the way down to dedicated changing rooms, fans zones that emulate the tunnel clubs in the US, no, not our glass one that's for football but we've created a similar non-glassed area in the East Stand, and as for the East Stand all of it is dedicated for NFL. Wembley doesn't have this. It also has to block off it's first 20 odd rows.

Sorry mate I disagree on everything you say.

It is meant to be a football stadium.

It’s not a purpose built concert arena just because it has it has a retractable ground. It doesn’t have a roof for a start and it’s slap band in the middle of a housing estate. Whilst transport infrastructure is slowly being built it still doesn’t have a tube station.

Khan has a fucking team to go into Wembley if the fools at the FA sell him Wembley. Are you aware of another franchise ready to move to London? Wembley wasn’t designed for NFL thank God but it seems to manage. It also has a fuck off car park for the idiots that go and tail gate or whatever before a game. I’m not sure there’s space in Broadwater farm for that sort of fun.

Sorry mate I disagree on everything you say.

It is meant to be a football stadium.

It’s not a purpose built concert arena just because it has it has a retractable ground. It doesn’t have a roof for a start and it’s slap band in the middle of a housing estate. Whilst transport infrastructure is slowly being built it still doesn’t have a tube station.

Khan has a fucking team to go into Wembley if the fools at the FA sell him Wembley. Are you aware of another franchise ready to move to London? Wembley wasn’t designed for NFL thank God but it seems to manage. It also has a fuck off car park for the idiots that go and tail gate or whatever before a game. I’m not sure there’s space in Broadwater farm for that sort of fun.

You've missed a lot of publicity from the Club if you think the new stadium is just for football.

The space outside the south stand will be used for fan areas / tailgating

Re the roof: Wembley, Twickenham, Finsbury Park, Hyde Park, plenty of concerts - all roofless.

Wembley car parks are disappearing fast. They're all getting built on. You can't miss this if you've been there this season.

The Jags can't move anywhere without the other NFL owners agreement. Like everything in the NFL, it's decided in the off season, by the owners. Khan can't just move them when he likes.

Can't see that. A concert needs a stage, lighting, sound and possibly seats (on the pitch area). You will NEVER see a concert on a matchday. In fact I would be mightily surprised if you ever see one during the season. I suppose it would be possible to squeeze one in during the international break, so maybe one during the early September break, and even less likely one during the March break. Other than that we won't be seeing gigs during the footy season I'm pretty sure. Even if you could get the stage erected and and set up within a couple of days you have still got to dismantle it. This video shows it taking 3 days to erect a stage for a Bruce Springsteen Gig in a stadium....

Also as someone else pointed out the Emirates has hosted a massive total of 7 gigs (2 x Bruce Springsteen, 1 x Capital FM summer ball, 3 x Coldplay and 1 x Green Day) since 2008! Hardly setting the world alight.

What the club will have done is created areas for conference and business events which will generate extra revenue that wasn't available to WHL. But I think seeing a huge revenue boost from hosting gigs is not paritlacurly likely.

You've missed a lot of publicity from the Club if you think the new stadium is just for football.

The space outside the south stand will be used for fan areas / tailgating

Re the roof: Wembley, Twickenham, Finsbury Park, Hyde Park, plenty of concerts - all roofless.

Wembley car parks are disappearing fast. They're all getting built on. You can't miss this if you've been there this season.

The Jags can't move anywhere without the other NFL owners agreement. Like everything in the NFL, it's decided in the off season, by the owners. Khan can't just move them when he likes.

I get that Khan can’t move without the consent of all the other owners but the point is he is ready to commit. No one else is as far as I know.

Tbh every time I’ve been to Wembley it’s an in and out job. So not sure of its car parking I’m just going on aerial pics I’ve seen of it. It has a far larger footprint than WHL.

I think you will be unpleasantly surprised if you think the local council will grant licenses for pop concerts.

Your living in cloud cuckoo land if you think two days of NFL will generate 140m quid. You do realise we only have the rights to the concession stands right? If Khan gets Wembley that’s the NFL done btw. And if you think Haringey will allow pop concerts then again your living in cloud cuckoo land. The Emirates have had 3 or 4 concerts in ten years? The local community won’t tolerate it.

Nope ... it's simple maths 14 billion divided by 250 games gives you the average 'worth' of each game to the NFL .... nobody was suggesting we would get 140m just as we don't get 100% of the money made by the EPL .... but we will probably be getting a minimum 20m a year, guaranteed for 10 years, and my guess (and that's all it is) is that we will make a whole lot more ....

FYI - If Khan gets Wembley it makes no feckin' difference to our agreement

As for Haringey they will support all sorts of activities in one of London's most deprived boroughs ... it's not feckin' NW1 you plank .... for years the local community have made more money from Spurs than any other business in the borough, with an additional 1,000,000 visitors a year that will only go up .... sure football stadium first, but it will be many many other things as well ...... wake up !!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom