New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nope ... it's simple maths 14 billion divided by 250 games gives you the average 'worth' of each game to the NFL .... nobody was suggesting we would get 140m just as we don't get 100% of the money made by the EPL .... but we will probably be getting a minimum 20m a year, guaranteed for 10 years, and my guess (and that's all it is) is that we will make a whole lot more ....

FYI - If Khan gets Wembley it makes no feckin' difference to our agreement

As for Haringey they will support all sorts of activities in one of London's most deprived boroughs ... it's not feckin' NW1 you plank .... for years the local community have made more money from Spurs than any other business in the borough, with an additional 1,000,000 visitors a year that will only go up .... sure football stadium first, but it will be many many other things as well ...... wake up !!!!!!!!!!

I think you are deluded old fruit. But I’m happy you’re happy.

Can't see that. A concert needs a stage, lighting, sound and possibly seats (on the pitch area). You will NEVER see a concert on a matchday. In fact I would be mightily surprised if you ever see one during the season. I suppose it would be possible to squeeze one in during the international break, so maybe one during the early September break, and even less likely one during the March break. Other than that we won't be seeing gigs during the footy season I'm pretty sure. Even if you could get the stage erected and and set up within a couple of days you have still got to dismantle it. This video shows it taking 3 days to erect a stage for a Bruce Springsteen Gig in a stadium....

Also as someone else pointed out the Emirates has hosted a massive total of 7 gigs (2 x Bruce Springsteen, 1 x Capital FM summer ball, 3 x Coldplay and 1 x Green Day) since 2008! Hardly setting the world alight.

What the club will have done is created areas for conference and business events which will generate extra revenue that wasn't available to WHL. But I think seeing a huge revenue boost from hosting gigs is not paritlacurly likely.

You're right match day is pushing it way to far .... but

Football stadiums are used just 30 days a year .... even in the hectic EPL 40 week season we will only play 30 home games at most ... that's less than once a week, often with two week gaps between home games .... even the world's worst roadies could build a stage and take it down in two weeks, five days is plenty .....

Emirates is in NW1 ... we're in N17 .... think the locals are the same?

Not saying we will have 100's of concerts, but concerts, boxing, giant feckin' truck racing ... and who knows what else

Wembley manages 40 events a year, and as we've all learnt this year it's a toilet ... Tottenham is no paradise either but the stadium will be 10 times better, so there's no reason we can't do the something similar ....

Last edited:
You're right match day is pushing it way to far .... but

Football stadiums are used just 30 days a year .... even in the hectic EPL 40 week season we will only play 30 home games at most ... that's less than once a week, often with two week gaps between home games .... even the world's worst roadies could build a stage and take it down in two weeks, five days is plenty .....

Emirates is in NW1 ... we're in N17 .... think the locals are the same?

Not saying we will have 100's of concerts, but concerts, boxing, giant feckin' truck racing ... and who knows what else

Wembley manages 40 events a year, and as we've all learnt this year it's a toilet ... Tottenham is no paradise either but the stadium will be 10 times better, so there's no reason we can't do the something similar ....
The thing is, while we might only have a maximum of 30 home games a year, the scheduling of those games is often not fixed far in advance (moves for TV) and games can be added at pretty short notice (cup games, in particular FA Cup replays, also postponed/rescheduled league matches). Large concerts will need to be scheduled at least 9 months in advance, probably even further - so apart from during the off-season and international breaks the club really can't commit to saying that the stadium will be available on a particular date. I guess that's why the Emirates has staged so few concerts.

The thing is, while we might only have a maximum of 30 home games a year, the scheduling of those games is often not fixed far in advance (moves for TV) and games can be added at pretty short notice (cup games, in particular FA Cup replays, also postponed/rescheduled league matches). Large concerts will need to be scheduled at least 9 months in advance, probably even further - so apart from during the off-season and international breaks the club really can't commit to saying that the stadium will be available on a particular date. I guess that's why the Emirates has staged so few concerts.

That's a good point .... there are 'fixed' International free weekends I think four next season .... but even with the TV moving you from 3pm on Saturday to Friday through Monday that only happens when you have a home game weekend ... when you're away for a weekend then you stay away, especially for London clubs who are 'paired' for home and away fixtures, we're paired with Woolwich ... the club will know off 20 free weekends when the fixture lists comes out in June .... that might not be time for a 'Jay-Z' gig in late 2018, but would be plenty of time for 2019 ....

On a side note, if we play four away games to start 2018/9 will that mean Woolwich have to play four home games?

The nerds coming to the new stadium play/watch people play video games will pay for it. Just stock the concessions with Mountain Dew, Red Bull, Monster and other assorted energy drinks; pizza, crisps & chips and it will be completely paid for in short order.

Hell, they could even charge to come watch Dele playing Fortnite at midfield shirtless.

Can't see that. A concert needs a stage, lighting, sound and possibly seats (on the pitch area). You will NEVER see a concert on a matchday. In fact I would be mightily surprised if you ever see one during the season. I suppose it would be possible to squeeze one in during the international break, so maybe one during the early September break, and even less likely one during the March break. Other than that we won't be seeing gigs during the footy season I'm pretty sure. Even if you could get the stage erected and and set up within a couple of days you have still got to dismantle it. This video shows it taking 3 days to erect a stage for a Bruce Springsteen Gig in a stadium....

Also as someone else pointed out the Emirates has hosted a massive total of 7 gigs (2 x Bruce Springsteen, 1 x Capital FM summer ball, 3 x Coldplay and 1 x Green Day) since 2008! Hardly setting the world alight.

What the club will have done is created areas for conference and business events which will generate extra revenue that wasn't available to WHL. But I think seeing a huge revenue boost from hosting gigs is not paritlacurly likely.

I agree 100% about not having concerts during the season, whilst the turn-around times are a matter of minutes to swap between grass and hard service, a concert still requires a stage etc still requires many man hours of work to build and take down. That said however, doesn't exclude the stadium being used to host boxing, e-sports (which I confess I know fuck all about), basically if whatever is being view by spectators takes place on the pitch area and the spectators are located in a the stands there are still many events/sports that can be put on with the smallest turn-around time, most importantly the only competition for these events is Wembley and Twickenham, the latter is hamstrung by massive restrictions on the number of events being aloud (not many). So, back to Wembley as the only real competitor, they have ONE surface that requires protection and many man hours of work to just get it ready to host and take down, all this makes it expensive, ergo makes us more competitive (just look to the £6m a year to transform the London stadium scaffolding at one end of the extreme, all this cost is labour and takes 6wks to take down and 6 weeks to put up).

I would also say that the events you speak of will be somewhat low key early doors as there is no Hotel yet. The really big money spinners on the conferencing side are those with International and National visitors, having a Hotel on-site will slam-dunk those.

But for sure, traditional concerts where the stage is at one end then this will not be seen during the season.

Club announces to community stakeholders that the stadium will be complete for the new season, minus possibly some gardening bits.

Queue the building experts. “Mate, I built my Nan a shed. No fucking way they’re going to be ready. We’re going back to Wembley.”

I wonder if people will believe the club will have the stadium ready when they’re sitting in it watching a match?
As long as The Shelf bar is ready with some lovely £12.50 craft lager perfectly chilled as we destroy a homeless West Spam London Caravans Olympic FC 12-0 on opening day, I’ll be happy.

Concerts could happen during the season. We often have two weeks between home games (inc cups) and add in international breaks, it’s achieveable.

The issue of in-season events is purely down to sky and the FA shifting matches around. Preparing for a concert/boxing etc. is definitely an ordeal, but NBA and NHL arenas in the US do so all the time, often in less than 24 hours. Many arenas are home to both NBA and NHL teams, college basketball teams, and still manage to put on dozens of concerts in a year. Whilst the scale is admittedly smaller, there’s zero reason why NWHL couldn’t host a concert on Friday, NFL Sunday, and Spurs on Monday night (I know, cringe)

There’s been fortnights where the United center in Chicago rotates nightly between hockey, basketball, concerts, Disney on ice, circus, monster trucks, etc. with barely a day in between. That’s the beauty of the roll-away pitch - as opposed to the other football grounds compared here, zero care has to be taken to the grounds in set-up and tear-down for an event. Roll out the pitch, roll up the nfl carpet, heavy equipment right in and bang, bang, boom on top of a concrete slab. No need for pitch protection or repair afterwards.

There will be events during the season, so long as sky and the FA aren’t always fucking our dates up. In fact, it might lead to more consistent scheduling with less changes....dear god that would be nice.

Bursaspor are called the Green Crocodiles.

DcTFQDWXcAAq0vk.jpg

This is their new stadium.

Let's be grateful ours isn't a giant cock.

Back
Top Bottom