New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Although each project is different, here is some perspective:

This is Atlético's stadium at about the same amount of months before the first match
(if we play our first home game after 3 away games that is...)

3QWOFEw.jpg

It’s odd you know, I made some comments earlier that in my view it’s going to be late, and got a load of disagrees as well....as if my saying I think it will be late means I want it to be....bizarre. Same thing with Bill M just here.

Your comments don’t sound like a SPM by the way.

Ha, no. It’s because most of what he wrote isn’t true or makes no sense. A little bit of experience in this field would tell you that schedules for jobs this size are built around key dates imposed on the programme, not on how long the work is actually going to take. This could be anything, but in this case is the start of the season. You do this to get sign off at the start - if you were honest about time and cost and other impacts shit would never get started. Look at any major programme, HS2, new carriers just about anything.

My issue was the general mugging off tone. With any luck it will be ready in some vaguely serviceable form come the season start and numerous packages will be completed up to Christmas, probably

"if you were honest about time and cost and other impacts shit would never get started" seriously that is just complete bollocks and shows you haven't got a clue about programme/project delivery or contracts of this size......i really shouldn't be wasting my time responding but ........

Firstly I never said anything about how jobs this size are planned around how long the work is actually going to take (can you quote me?). Of course though it can be a huge factor, not every project or programme has a target date at inception. Sometimes you do have to plan around when you can actually deliver as opposed to a date you might be given if it can't be achieved. For the stadium though the club though will have set a target date and companies will have been asked to tender for the work to deliver to that date. The club won't be driving a lot of the key dates, they might have indicated they wanted things done at certain times, like stadium demolition etc, but everything else will have been down to the planning team working with the suppliers/contractors/the club etc.

The original target date of August if that's what it was, looks like it has shifted to September, so they will have re-planned a lot of the activities and shifted things around, not just because of the extra time but also possibly due to weather, resourcing etc, but the plan will have had tolerance built in for this. Projects/Plans aren't as inflexible as they were 10-15 years ago, they'll be delivering this using Agile method i would expect. There will be a number of projects/workstreams reporting into the programme each delivering part/s of the stadium. Roof, Internals, Externals, Networking, Fixtures and Fittings etc. As for costs etc, you would also know that when the original impact assessment was done on the stadium and any of things you mentioned above HS2 etc, there is always a tolerance in the estimates that are provided sometimes 50% + and yes costs do change and projects/programmes can come in under/over budget, but they don't just make things up to get things started.

Whenever a programme like this has scheduled a target date the work will be planned right to left from that date on plan. But sometimes you have to plan left to right if you only have a short window to deliver or for other reasons like more time. I've been working on GDPR for one of the largest banks in the UK and leading 5 of the disciplines with a target date of 25th May for GDPR, out of the total 14 disciplines the programme had to deliver, 4 of them weren't completed on time. One of them didn't get added to the scope until February this year. When we knew we weren't going to deliver we took them to Steering then Risk committees to get Approval and Risk acceptance that the work will be re-planned around dates we can actually deliver to, some are now August, some September and of course there's now additional cost on resource etc, but of course you'll know all of this.

Anytime you're in the city give me a shout, always happy to expand my network and 20+ years knowledge as a PM, share thoughts, ideas etc.

And there wasn't meant to be a muggy tone against the original poster if there was it wasn't meant to come across that way. The fact he stated that it was clear that it wasn't going to be ready because of the roof and what his mate said was nothing more than opinion. I was merely trying to point out that everything is being delivered on plan and the club will have known 6 months ago whether the stadium will be ready on time (now Sept) or not due to the plan, not what Bob the builder is saying.

Apologies @BillMadrid if you are reading it wasn't meant to be a personal attack, just frustration at general negativity towards the stadium and i hadn't seen your response to BangkokSpud

"if you were honest about time and cost and other impacts shit would never get started" seriously that is just complete bollocks and shows you haven't got a clue about programme/project delivery or contracts of this size......i really shouldn't be wasting my time responding but ........

Firstly I never said anything about how jobs this size are planned around how long the work is actually going to take (can you quote me?). Of course though it can be a huge factor, not every project or programme has a target date at inception. Sometimes you do have to plan around when you can actually deliver as opposed to a date you might be given if it can't be achieved. For the stadium though the club though will have set a target date and companies will have been asked to tender for the work to deliver to that date. The club won't be driving a lot of the key dates, they might have indicated they wanted things done at certain times, like stadium demolition etc, but everything else will have been down to the planning team working with the suppliers/contractors/the club etc.

The original target date of August if that's what it was, looks like it has shifted to September, so they will have re-planned a lot of the activities and shifted things around, not just because of the extra time but also possibly due to weather, resourcing etc, but the plan will have had tolerance built in for this. Projects/Plans aren't as inflexible as they were 10-15 years ago, they'll be delivering this using Agile method i would expect. There will be a number of projects/workstreams reporting into the programme each delivering part/s of the stadium. Roof, Internals, Externals, Networking, Fixtures and Fittings etc. As for costs etc, you would also know that when the original impact assessment was done on the stadium and any of things you mentioned above HS2 etc, there is always a tolerance in the estimates that are provided sometimes 50% + and yes costs do change and projects/programmes can come in under/over budget, but they don't just make things up to get things started.

Whenever a programme like this has scheduled a target date the work will be planned right to left from that date on plan. But sometimes you have to plan left to right if you only have a short window to deliver or for other reasons like more time. I've been working on GDPR for one of the largest banks in the UK and leading 5 of the disciplines with a target date of 25th May for GDPR, out of the total 14 disciplines the programme had to deliver, 4 of them weren't completed on time. One of them didn't get added to the scope until February this year. When we knew we weren't going to deliver we took them to Steering then Risk committees to get Approval and Risk acceptance that the work will be re-planned around dates we can actually deliver to, some are now August, some September and of course there's now additional cost on resource etc, but of course you'll know all of this.

Anytime you're in the city give me a shout, always happy to expand my network and 20+ years knowledge as a PM, share thoughts, ideas etc.

And there wasn't meant to be a muggy tone against the original poster if there was it wasn't meant to come across that way. The fact he stated that it was clear that it wasn't going to be ready because of the roof and what his mate said was nothing more than opinion. I was merely trying to point out that everything is being delivered on plan and the club will have known 6 months ago whether the stadium will be ready on time (now Sept) or not due to the plan, not what Bob the builder is saying.

Apologies @BillMadrid if you are reading it wasn't meant to be a personal attack, just frustration at general negativity towards the stadium and i hadn't seen your response to BangkokSpud

At this time of year I hop from here to the transfer thread to the Poch thread and see any negative comments in any thread in a similar light unfortunately.

It doesn't mean that someone's source or experience isn't valid but I personally am so desperate for it to succeed that any negative comments about timescale are not always well received.

And I have absolutely no experience of any sort of builds apart from my extension last year and that went very well to time!

Yes, the single tier south stand means it isn’t a traditional bowl shape.

Looks more like an egg to me.
The way it looks in birds eye view can be glossed over a bit, but the way the south stand glass cuts inward, just comes off as a bowl shape.
Add in the sky lounge which looks like the rim, and the image only gets deeper from there.
Personally I'd hope they add some of that perforated cladding on the south, it might disguise the shape a bit.

Wowzers....ok fella, I obviously touched a nerve so sorry about that, I felt you were being a bit dismissive of another poster so hence my barb.

That being said, I don’t agree with what you’re saying, which is a tactical assessment of the project. In my view, the project will be late, and that’s not such s big deal - read back if you care to see why. Not withstanding, I very much hope to be proven wrong and that it’s ready for the season start.

Back
Top Bottom