Next season (2024/2025) expectations

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What are your expectations for the next season?

• Title challenge

• Top 4

• Europa League winners

• League Cup winners

• FA Cup winners

• Top 6

Results are only viewable after voting.
Based on the Werner news I have voted ‘Top 6’. I don’t see the current set of wingers plus Richy or Son at ST to be good enough to improve our position significantly from this season. A lot would be depending on defensive improvement, and Ange really hasn’t shown much of an interest in that so far.

Do you know something, with MBappe going to Madrid, and Man City not showing any signs of going away any time soon, I'm kinda glad we're not in the CL next season (not EVER, just not next season)

The PL and CL are STARTING to feel like a closed shop (and Good job too when the Arse are sniffing around as the 'alternative'... I'd rather get our ducks in a row first, and go at the EL or either Domestic Cup full throttle, and see where the next few years takes us...

The league title is a pipe dream, and the CL even further away...

I'd quite like to win something winnable first, THEN we can concentrate on Global Domination over the next decade!

Obviously we need to have another vote once the transfer period closed.

I wanted to vote for four:

Title challengers (I consider this as "within 8-10 points of the ultimate winner). Lately the prem has been a top 3, top 6, top 8, and the rest league. We haven't been top 3 since peak Poch. Ange has big words. I expect him to back it up with that (without expecting a win necessarily), should we have a reasonable transfer period.

Win a damn trophy. EL, league cup, FA. I don't care which, if not all three. I want a win. It makes a statement. Even if it's a LC and we have an entirelt professional dominant 2-0 win over a "lesser" opponent in the final.

But I also expect Ange to win or aim to win more than just one cup. Cups I find are the best competition to truly test the "winning mentality" he speaks so highly of. He's had a season with the team. Learned what works and what doesn't. Made some adjustments. Had some pretty great signings last season and this last winter (dragon). With another similar period, he needs to instill and prove his winning mentality. You don't need to win that many games to win a cup. You just need to not lose.

I want us to make our home a very difficult place to play.

Concede far fewer. Do much, *much* better in derbies.

Go far in the Europa League.

I have zero league expectations. There are too many good teams.
Agree
Every great team is built from the back and clean sheets should be to defenders like scoring a hat-trick to forwards.
Our two centre backs and keeper are as good as any in this league,its the mindset that the so called inverted fullbacks is the new holy grail to winning games.
Ange knows the achilles heel of the team is in the end product as he has alluded to all through the season.
If we get that right in new signing's ,then the frustration of not finishing off with goals our good work that will help the defensive lads to be more focussed on the job they are paid to do.
1.Stop Goals

Do you know something, with MBappe going to Madrid, and Man City not showing any signs of going away any time soon, I'm kinda glad we're not in the CL next season (not EVER, just not next season)

The PL and CL are STARTING to feel like a closed shop (and Good job too when the Arse are sniffing around as the 'alternative'... I'd rather get our ducks in a row first, and go at the EL or either Domestic Cup full throttle, and see where the next few years takes us...

I'd quite like to win something winnable first, THEN we can concentrate on Global Domination over the next decade!
I wouldn’t go as far as saying I’m glad but you do have a point that RM have a ridiculous level of talent at their disposal and with their team being so young, they’re only to get better. Add in Mbappe and well yeah, we’re well off competing for that trophy.

I reckon next year will be Pep’s last at City so you’ll know he’ll try and go out with a bang which is why we should focus on the Europa, FA Cup and League Cup

I just want a cup at this point.

Don't even give a shit about the league as long as we don't get relegated. "Top Four" has really done fuck all for the ambitions of this club. If anything the CL final started a downward trajectory

I know top 4 is everything these days for money and players etc. but we need trophies and if dropping out of the top 4 to win the Europa League I am all for it. Top 6 and Europa League for me.

No point in voting until the end of the transfer window. If we went into the season now I’d say top 6,knockout stage if the Europa and hit or a miss with the cups.
Get the window right and top 3,latter stages of Europa and a possibility of winning a cup.

It will be similar to the majority of our seasons over the last 20 years. The bigger money clubs now cant really finish below 8th, look at us last season given how shit we were and Utd this season. So 7th or 8th if we're shit and maybe 4th if we're decent and a couple of others below par. Cups, who can say but reckon we'll have to get really lucky with the draws to win one.

Last edited:
It will be similar to the majority of our seasons over the last 20 years. The bigger money clubs now cant really finish below 8th, look at us last season given how shit we were and Utd this season. So 7th or 8th if we're shit and maybe 4th if we're decent and a couple of others below par. Cups, who can say but reckon we'll have to get really lucky with the draws to win one.
Depressingly true!

There isn't any good reason to believe we'll be much better next season. Maybe a bit better as the players get more used to the system and the PL, and we have slightly better players (Bergvall maybe, youngsters maturing etc). Now, that can change if we make two or three really good signings this summer.

If we can do that, then Top 4 and a good chance in the three cups is very much on.

Last edited:

Why does PL (or at least a challenge) have to be a pipe dream, especially next season? Really feel like it may be a down year for several teams: if City finally gets docked / FFP, Liverpool new manager / rebuild, Villa regress / lose a few players; that's 3 of the top 4.

The teams below us may improve but not truly scared of any of them yet. That leaves Arse, who I'd anticipate some regression after a draining season + fatigue impact with several of their players at Euro (of course we have that risk too).

In any case, it's an if - but if City is docked and out of the picture, would be curious who folks think would be the title challengers.

In a transition season where we're (finally) not one of the teams transitioning, I can certainly see a good window for the league. That being said, we need to replace 3 members of our starting XI (at least!) with championship level quality. I don't think we're there yet.

I can definitely see us coming close, and hopefully start hot as we did last season but see it carry through to the end.

In a transition season where we're (finally) not one of the teams transitioning, I can certainly see a good window for the league. That being said, we need to replace 3 members of our starting XI (at least!) with championship level quality. I don't think we're there yet.

I can definitely see us coming close, and hopefully start hot as we did last season but see it carry through to the end.
EPL championship... Obviously.

Levy, don't get clever now.

In terms of progression it has to a be a trophy win. Or at least showing signs we can get far in them again. Whimpering out early in both cups this year still left a sour taste in my mouth

If City win the court case, and they probably will, no one apart from them, barcodes and possibly Chelsea and Man U will ever win anything ever again.

Agree
Every great team is built from the back and clean sheets should be to defenders like scoring a hat-trick to forwards.
Our two centre backs and keeper are as good as any in this league,its the mindset that the so called inverted fullbacks is the new holy grail to winning games.
Ange knows the achilles heel of the team is in the end product as he has alluded to all through the season.
If we get that right in new signing's ,then the frustration of not finishing off with goals our good work that will help the defensive lads to be more focussed on the job they are paid to do.
1.Stop Goals
Maybe in this new approach to football so many teams are taking a clean sheet is not a good way to evaluate defense. I think Postecoglou's approach is built around outscoring the opponent where the old guard Conte type manager wants to stop the other team first. I've never seen a one goal or less stat, but maybe in the current high press environment holding the opposition to one goal should be looked at the same way a clean sheet used to be. I don't like this approach, but its the new reality.

Back
Top Bottom