No place for women in football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't understand why this is being framed as an issue of women in football, it seems to me more like an instance of nepotism being veiled under some absurd pretension of women's empowerment. There are women who actually had to overcome enormous obstacles to have a career in football and the notion that this child of some captain of industry, Berlusconi, somehow is going to be a symbol of their struggle is pretty perverse to me.

Also I find it interesting that Gattuso identifies existing structural impediments toward women's involvement in football rather than saying that women ought not to be involved in it. I assume the quotes are translated so it might not be wise to read into his words too much but if this is in fact what he meant then I would think that he is correct, particularly with regard to higher level management in football. I just don't see many women in those positions of power. Also I don't know the most about Italian culture but I would wonder whether women wouldn't be laughed out of the job even at the lower levels of the sport, or discouraged from participating in sport at a young age and so on. If this is the case then again I should think that Gattuso's analysis is spot on.

Now, if Gattuso was envisioning the sort of model for football he would like to see, that's another story, but I very much doubt that this is the case, simply because there is already such an extraordinary absence of women in the sport in my experience, especially commercially, that further diminishing it would be absurd. Maybe I underestimate the extent to which those as devious as Gattuso can devise new means of preventing female involvement though, for as people have pointed out us Spurs fans are well versed in his imaginative communication methods vis-a-vis his exchange with Joe Jordan. I certainly would never have thought to headbutt Joe Jordan, so perhaps I need to get onto Gattuso's level so to speak in terms of my brainstorming ability.

He is Italian and loves Glasgow, he is hardly the spokesman for equality. He was referring to Barbara the fruit of Berlusconi's well used loins so i would cut him some slack.

soccer-npower-football-league-championship-play-off-semi-final-first-leg-crystal-palace-v-brighton-and-hove-albion-selhurst-park-3-630x456.jpg

View: https://x.com/thornabyfcwomen/status/1799899613987578181?s=46&t=0H6KnYmyMD9cFAeln7OanA

Thornaby FC Chairman Condemns Board’s Decision to Axe Women’s and Girls’ Teams - TSC News Channel

Astounded by this, what a disgusting move. As a dad of a 6 yr old girl who plays here in Aus and idolises the Matildas, I know first hand just how powerful sport like this can be in a young girl’s life.

I hope the ladies and girls affected are supported to set up a rival club 🖕🏻

What's the reason behind the decision, it doesn't say anything about it in the link? I'm assuming it must be financial.

View: https://x.com/thornabyfcwomen/status/1799899613987578181?s=46&t=0H6KnYmyMD9cFAeln7OanA

Thornaby FC Chairman Condemns Board’s Decision to Axe Women’s and Girls’ Teams - TSC News Channel

Astounded by this, what a disgusting move. As a dad of a 6 yr old girl who plays here in Aus and idolises the Matildas, I know first hand just how powerful sport like this can be in a young girl’s life.

I hope the ladies and girls affected are supported to set up a rival club 🖕🏻

All I will say, is why are there seemingly no standalone pro women's teams? Why do they get to piggyback off mens clubs with 100+ years of history?

All I will say, is why are there seemingly no standalone pro women's teams? Why do they get to piggyback off mens clubs with 100+ years of history?
I‘m no expert, but at a guess I’d probably say that’s down to centuries of oppression and the fact that women’s football was banned for 50 years in England 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m older than the Spurs women’s team, which was formed in 1985. It’s not comparing apples with apples…

One of the great things about modern football (and there‘s plenty not so great) is the way it can foster inclusion and break down barriers, but decisions like this really don’t help that…

Very strange story this. According to stuff I’ve read on this, it’s purely nasty men being just horrid and beastly to the lovely, fragrant ladies.

The manager of the main women’s team says that the female side of things was self sufficient and says money can’t have been the issue. So is the beastly thing correct?

I’d be surprised if the women’s teams were financially self sufficient, as I’m not sure many on the planet are, even at the highest level. But if they are, then yes, this is a cunty decision.

Back
Top Bottom