No place for women in football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I‘m no expert, but at a guess I’d probably say that’s down to centuries of oppression and the fact that women’s football was banned for 50 years in England 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m older than the Spurs women’s team, which was formed in 1985. It’s not comparing apples with apples…

One of the great things about modern football (and there‘s plenty not so great) is the way it can foster inclusion and break down barriers, but decisions like this really don’t help that…
That’s not quite the case. Woman’s football was not banned. It was not licensed or supported by the FA, meaning matches could not take place in the same stadiums as FA affiliated clubs.

Matches were and could be played at other venues and the English Ladies Football Association ran for at 30 years (1930-1960)

The reason the FA did what they did is not especially progressive against our modern day view point. But that’s the same FA who banned men’s matches in the First World War period, and championed woman’s matches in their absence, which suggests commerce was a bit of a factor.

👍

That’s not quite the case. Woman’s football was not banned. It was not licensed or supported by the FA, meaning matches could not take place in the same stadiums as FA affiliated clubs.

Matches were and could be played at other venues and the English Ladies Football Association ran for at 30 years (1930-1960)

The reason the FA did what they did is not especially progressive against our modern day view point. But that’s the same FA who banned men’s matches in the First World War period, and championed woman’s matches in their absence, which suggests commerce was a bit of a factor.

👍
Thanks, interesting context 👍🏻

I‘m no expert, but at a guess I’d probably say that’s down to centuries of oppression and the fact that women’s football was banned for 50 years in England 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m older than the Spurs women’s team, which was formed in 1985. It’s not comparing apples with apples…

One of the great things about modern football (and there‘s plenty not so great) is the way it can foster inclusion and break down barriers, but decisions like this really don’t help that…
Ok, that's in the past though. Is there a ban on a womans team being formed today, from scratch? Like Wimbledon (re)did?

👍
People act as if women were arrested if they played football.
It was just that the FA wouldn't give them their own league and competitions.
What was to stop a woman saying "fuck it, I can do that" and creating their own, women's football association. Totally and utterly unrelated to the the "mens" FA who shat on them?
There's never gonna be a say when a women's team plays in a men's league, so why do they even need o rely on the FA anyway?

No, definitely not - it would be great if that’s what happens in the case of this team
I've just always felt a little uncomfortable with women's teams almost unanimously piggybacking off the mens teams, inheriting all the history and security that was built over 100 years.
I say almost as I don't know if there is or was a standalone professional women's football team, at least in England.

I've just always felt a little uncomfortable with women's teams almost unanimously piggybacking off the mens teams, inheriting all the history and security that was built over 100 years.
I say almost as I don't know if there is or was a standalone professional women's football team, at least in England.

Why?

Does it matter?

You as bothered about youth sides doing the same or veteran teams?

There's enough money in football to help with the women's teams, don't be a cunt.

I'd want any team wearing a Spurs shirt to win, although I only watch the senior men's team - they take up enough of my time, money, emotion and energy that there's nothing left for the rest.

I do think they have tried to grow this side of the game to quickly and haven't really got everything in place.
How many times has the woman's game's clashed with the mens within the last season just gone? The ain't gonna help them either.

👍
Yeah the "banned" narrative makes laugh. Enforced by who the FA. A lack of support isn't a ban, but it's a far sexier story to sell. As for the women's Spurs team like Mrs Perryman I've nothing left to give them. And I have zero emotional investment because I didn't start doing this yesterday. I'm invested in something that's been there for over one hundred and fifty years. It's not the livery it's not navy blue and the colour white. It's a direct link and cant be manufacture. It's the line from John White to Steve Perryman to crappy Michael Brown to Ledley King. It's organic. That's all. I was thinking this the other day, say they make a mens Spurs super league team would I care. The answers no. I 100% would not follow it.

Last edited:
What was to stop a woman saying "fuck it, I can do that" and creating their own, women's football association. Totally and utterly unrelated to the the "mens" FA who shat on them?
There's never gonna be a say when a women's team plays in a men's league, so why do they even need o rely on the FA anyway?

And I’m sure the FA at the time saying things like this:

The FA at the time said "the game of football is quite unsuitable for females and ought not to be encouraged"

Didn’t impact on the sport in a myriad of other ways or prevent women from wanting to get involved. And I’m sure husbands and fathers etc didn’t see things like that and prevent their daughters, wives etc from getting involved in the sport..

Women for most of the sports history were hugely discouraged from taking part. And then given no funding or attention because the men’s game has a huge head start. We know from other sports (tennis etc) that female athletes can and will be successful and popular if provided a platform.

No it will never be the same as the men’s game or as popular, but yes it has grown, is growing and will continue to grow. They started miles behind the other competitors.

As I said mate. English Ladies Football Association ran for at least 30 years (1930-1960) There was no ban! It was that there was no accreditation from one body.

Reflecting on the modern inclusion of WSL, which is obviously a very English focus, I can’t get past my own view being that it is a cynical branding exercise.

For example, Tottenham Ladies was ( is it not? ) historically Broxbourne Ladies. They have been rebranded THFC ladies, gained the Nike kit and been put right alongside 142 years of the men’s senior teams history. That’s pretty cynical isn’t it ?

Also unfortunately for them, they will likely win fuck all by association with the men’s team 😜

Last edited:
Also unfortunately for them, they will likely win fuck all by association with the men’s team 😜
Ha ha, this 👆🏻 is definitely true 🤦🏻‍♂️

Women’s football is undoubtedly growing, and with a young daughter I’m particularly loving it. Here in Aus the Women’s World Cup was the biggest sports event of last year, and the Matildas games are the hottest tickets around - pretty good for a sports mad country. I’m loving the buzz of the Lionesses too, and they even managed to break the curse of the men’s team 😅

There was definitely a Spurs "Ladies" team in the 70s. There was a tournament held near me with Southampton usually doing well.

Why?

Does it matter?

You as bothered about youth sides doing the same or veteran teams?

There's enough money in football to help with the women's teams, don't be a cunt.
Those youth players could well one day play for the men's team, the team we all support.
The women don't, there's no benefit to THFC other than some semblance of PR really.

I'd want any team wearing a Spurs shirt to win, although I only watch the senior men's team - they take up enough of my time, money, emotion and energy that there's nothing left for the rest.
To me, it's no more Spurs than a bunch of blokes from a pub playing a 5 a side league game in Spurs kits.

As I said mate. English Ladies Football Association ran for at least 30 years (1930-1960) There was no ban! It was that there was no accreditation from one body.

Reflecting on the modern inclusion of WSL, which is obviously a very English focus, I can’t get past my own view being that it is a cynical branding exercise.

For example, Tottenham Ladies was ( is it not? ) historically Broxbourne Ladies. They have been rebranded THFC ladies, gained the Nike kit and been put right alongside 142 years of the men’s senior teams history. That’s pretty cynical isn’t it ?

Flip it around. What if men started piggybacking off women's success, history and hard work?

To me, it's no more Spurs than a bunch of blokes from a pub playing a 5 a side league game in Spurs kits.
That's why I say it's not about the brand. Or the colours navy and white. I recall the F1 car all kitted up, I didn't give a stuff. I certainly didn't watch it going round and round. Good luck to the women's team and encouraging physical fitness in all young girls is brilliant. But don't ask me to pretend to care in the name of some greater good. Because I don't love the mens team in the name of anything other than it just happened. That’s how love works.

Back
Top Bottom