Now that the CL is gone, is it better for us to miss out on the EL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now that the CL is gone. Do you want us to qualify for the Europa League?

• Yes, Europa league is worth qualifying for and trying to win

Votes: 66 62.9%
  • No, Europa league will hinder our chances of getting back into the Top 4

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Don't care as long as we finish above Woolwich this season

Votes: 18 17.1%

• Total voters
So the theory is that we should finish as low as possible to avoid qualifying for Europe so that next season we can focus on qualifying for Europe, is that right?

giphy.gif

It's never a blessing to miss out on a competition that we could win, that is a mentality that has plagued us for a long time. Frankly if we aren't good enough to compete in the Europa and a top 4 place, then we don't deserve to be in the champions league.

We've won 1 trophy in 20 years, we don't have the right to turn up our nose at the Europa.

Distaste for scouse

Hates football hipsters. Go cram your XG up your..
My opinion is that the Europa League is an absolute killer with the Thursday-Sunday schedule.
Now that the Champions League is done I think it would be an absolute blessing in disguise to miss out on the Europa League as well.
I think we will have more chance of getting back into that top 4 without Europa League distraction.

that's my opinion what do you good people think?

A trophy is a trophy I guess and it's not that long ago when reaching the Europa league was cause for big celebration..

For me personally, I hate it when we have so many Sunday games, it takes the fun away and generally the atmosphere is poor.
Saturdays were made for Footbal, Sunday's were made to spend time with your family..

The only way NOT being in Europa is beneficial to us is if we can win the league. It's highly unlikely we're going to win the league next season so being in the Europa will give us two chances at getting in the UCL the following season instead of 1.

This "fuck Europa let's focus on the league mentality" is bullshit. Putting all your eggs in one basket in football very rarely works. We should want to be in as many competitions as possible competing for as many trophies as possible.

To Dare is to Do.

Not "We shouldn't Dare to Do more than one competition because we'll get tired"

If I had the choice and CL wasn’t possible I would take the EL every day of the week, true it’s a killer with the schedule but we shouldn’t be there just to make up the numbers, we should be in it with the intention of winning it, if we don’t think we can win the EL what chance do we have of ever winning the CL?

3 more Spurs games. I know this might sound crazy but I like watching Spurs play games.
More chances for the Academy players.
Arse winning pissed me off but extra games - no problemo.

This club needs to be playing in Europe, I cringe when I see people say they would be happy without European football. Small club mentality.

The more competitions you are in, the more trophies you can win. Do you think Real Madrid fans would prefer not to play the UEFA Super Cup? Or would they rather put another trophy in the cabinet, even if it's a lesser one?

Europa is another route to the CL and a nice trophy in it's own right. Fans who would be happy to only have 3 chances to win silverware instead of 4, are mad.

You've previously conceeded that your "hate" of ENIC is less than substantiated; one would think self-awareness is that start of the learning curve, not the end.
I’ve never conceded that - ‘less than substantiated’ - LOL

Wake up and smell the flowers - were about to finish 10th having gone from genuine title contenders. Yeah, ENIC have nothing to do wiht that ...

As for self awarness - the fact you feel the need to post on every single thread on here every day to the tune of 200+ speaks more about you than me really

As if you have a bot set up that pings every time someone mentions ENIC or Levy on here...

The people on this forum sometimes, jeez. Lads, we’ve won two trophies in almost 30 years and they’ve been the Mickey Mouse cups. In the 65 years of the Champions League/European Cup, we have made it to one final, and lost. Any Spurs fan who snubs their noses at a Europa League trophy is a fool.

Advantages to winning the Europa League:

1) Plus £40m in revenue - nothing compared to the CL but that could buy us at least one very decent player
2) Winning the Europa League gets us into the CL the following season and as top seeds which improves our chances of getting out of the group stage and potentially winning it which may mean an easier first round knockout tie
3) To win a bloody trophy and a European trophy no less. A win would put us as joint second in the records for number of Europa League trophies won. I’ll take that
4) Automatically have another whack at another trophy, the Super Cup which means more prize money and a trophy!
5) keep our star players specifically Kane.

I realize the CL doesn’t have the same prestige and we will have to play in a whopping 18 games to win it but that’s a lot of advantages to winning it. I think it should be the priority for next season

We are crap so can't handle europe & the league. So not fussed if we miss out. If I thought we could win it then I'd want to be in it. I get some of you still think we are a really good team who can win it. I think the opposite so therefore, probably for the best if we don't qualify. But won't be annoyed if we do qualify.

I think wanting Europa is a no brainer, it would be good for us.

Top 4 will be tough next year so Europa offers us a better chance of getting back to CL.

We should be making some changes to our and have young guys that need opportunities to play, Europa League gives us an opportunity to get them minutes in games that matter and for us to see what we have with a club that is (hopefully) developing.

We want to win trophies and this in another opportunity to win. Yes there will be good teams, and yes we looked like garbage, but there is no reason that we can't win it. I would think we would be at worst in the top 5 of teams competing for the trophy.

I want Europa league so that we have a good chance to play youth, give people like Parrott a chance to prove themselves against professional opposition.

My problem is that I don’t think Jose will play the youth, he takes it ultra seriously from the word go and will have Kane playing Thursday - Sunday football until he inevitably picks up a long term injury.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom