Now that the CL is gone, is it better for us to miss out on the EL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now that the CL is gone. Do you want us to qualify for the Europa League?

• Yes, Europa league is worth qualifying for and trying to win

Votes: 66 62.9%
  • No, Europa league will hinder our chances of getting back into the Top 4

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Don't care as long as we finish above Woolwich this season

Votes: 18 17.1%

• Total voters
You can say that again! :mourthumb:
Ha. Now that I have thought about it a bit more, there is an argument that it would be easier to win the Europa than get top 4 next season. So in that regard you could prioritise the europa & sacrifice top 4 rather than the other way around. But who knows?!

For the record, I'd obviously rather get a CL spot via winning the europa rather than top 4. But I guess that's 1 thing we can all agree on.

TBH I don't care whether we're in it or not. After last night's debacle I've decided to downgrade my STs (I have two) from Gold to Silver and not waste my time and money on a whole bunch of cup matches that we'll try to lose by fielding weak teams as usual. I've also decided to bin BT Sport when my BT broadband contract is up in September and save another £200 or so. It's just not worth the extra cash to chase more ticketing points (I'm in the top few thousand) to guarantee theoretical cup final tickets that probably won't happen for the next few years at least.

If we get the europa we will be in the qualifiers, given the later start date to the season i think i read somewhere that would mean playing Thursday and Sunday every week from September to Christmas. Its a no from me, especially in the current situation. Do we really want to fly every other week to Belarus and Ukraine to play in an empty stadium in the middle of a pandemic?

Based on previous tournaments the chance we will be flying to Belarus and Ukraine ever other week is zero. Why do folks who are against this always overrate how much travelling there is? The vast majority of the teams in this tournament are relatively close. Almost all the teams that are far away are gone after the group stage. The most likely scenario is that we have one, maybe two games in a "far" away location and the rest of our games in France, Spain, Germany, Italy and one other west or central European country.
The venues is speculation but the constant churn of fixtures isnt. In a normal season i'd be happy to be in it but not next season.

The venues is speculation but the constant churn of fixtures isnt. In a normal season i'd be happy to be in it but not next season.

Next season we likely need minutes for guys like Skipp, Tangana, Parrott. Sessegnon, Cirkin etc. and can't afford to give them too many minutes in the EPL with the weak team that we have. We also could use it as a way to recruit a back-up striker that we have desperately be needing. Having Europa League games would help alleviate any concerns about playing time. With the top 4 (City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United) looking to be very difficult it also offers us another way into CL. Plus there is always the chance of finally winning a trophy.

Next year seems like an even better year than most to be in the Europa League.

To be honest I'd like to be in any cup that we took seriously.

There's no point in qualifying for Europa if we're not going to put maximum effort and resources into. If Jose is going to take it seriously then so be it but in the past we've been guilty of throwing The league Cup, the FA Cup and the Europa league.

If we're going to take it seriously then bring it on - if not then I'd rather not bother because as much as winning breeds success, losing can also become an annoying habit.

I also think that it can upset the squad as invariably the squad gets split into A and B teams which is rubbish.

But they had those games and were fine early in the season. United were in the EL as well and have been fine so far this season. In previous years teams have had CL games and done fine even winning titles. The games argument is so weak and shown to be not a issue at all outside of Burnley who have a very shallow squad. If we are at Burnley levels of depth then we should want Europa League next year as our last shot at watching European football for a long while.

As for Mourinho its such a useless, defeatist attitude to just assume what will happen and really not even a good argument against playing in Europa League. In your scenario the downside is that he plays a competitive team that challenges and maybe wins the Europa League. Oh no whatever will we do if that happens???
Its called realism. I cant see how playing the same games as Wolves in 7 or 8 weeks less time wont lead to players being knackered. We'll have to agree to disagree on this, as i say normally id happily be in it but not in a shortened season with (likely) this manager.

I'm in two minds on this.

If we are in it we have to take it seriously and play a strong team in every round.
Which could have an impact on the league form.

If we play a few youngsters, as some have suggested, and we lose then we will be accused of not taking it seriously enough.

On balance, I'd rather be in it and go all out to win it, than not.

There is zero reason we cannot win our group and still play a lot of youth. I don't think we are talking about sending our U-18 team out there. Guys like Sessegnon, Tanganga, Skipp even Cirkin and Parrott are (hopefully) good enough when paired with other guys from our main squad to beat teams from Belgium, Czech, Austria and Bulgaria.

Once the knockout stages come then I think you look at cutting back the youth a bit and assess how they played in those earlier games to see who can and can't handle the increase in competition.

Let me put it this way: I think we have to fight for EL, and once we get there, we should fight to win it. However, in case we miss it, I think we´d have more chances of seeing a good 2020-21 season. The schedule will be tight, and playing Thursday-Sunday would be really difficult for us.

From a pragmatic point of view, I´d prefer us to be focused in national competitions.

I want Europa League but only if the club is going to go for it.

Playing the reserves or going into knock-out football with a not arsed attitude against weak teams is soul destroying.

These rank amongst the worst days a Tottenham supporter for me. Days where you are asked to pay, to support a team that has no desire to proceed. Wobble chops sending the third team out to the Ukraine for knock out game. Horrible as a supporter.

Personally I've never accepted it under any of our managers.

BBC SPORT | Football | Europe | Tottenham 1-1 S Donetsk (agg 1-3)

If we're in it I want the passion of this night. When WHL was rocking, and although we fucked it - it certainly wasn't because we weren't trying -

Well that would be the main criteria for me as well, now I know for Levy/ENIC it’s a business and they’re looking at the balance sheet ST, merchandise, corporate etc but can they not see that if they had a successful team on the park which to us the fans is more important one would compliment the other a domestic cup run league or FA would have the stadium packed knowing a full strength Tottenham giving a 100% wanting to win and get to Wembley would be special a Europa league cup run would be equally so! yids abroad what’s better

Well that would be the main criteria for me as well, now I know for Levy/ENIC it’s a business and they’re looking at the balance sheet ST, merchandise, corporate etc but can they not see that if they had a successful team on the park which to us the fans is more important one would compliment the other a domestic cup run league or FA would have the stadium packed knowing a full strength Tottenham giving a 100% wanting to win and get to Wembley would be special a Europa league cup run would be equally so! yids abroad what’s better

I don't really see what you're trying to say here...

We've had all the things you listed in recent seasons.

We had a team that could and likely should have won things....

Having built a new stadium (to increase matchday revenue and in turn help overcome FFP), we invested in the team last summer (and this Jan) to start a rebuild of a new team and we've been dealt a financial curveball by C19.

We could be in 30 cup competitions and we wouldn't win a single one of them

Rather have a year with no midweek distractions and focus on trying to regain some consistency in the league and learn how to actually win a couple of games in a row crazy as it sounds

Stay on tact fella.... Think... Regardless of whether or not they spend enough to keep certain fans from moaning; to imply they don't want the teams they assemble to do as well as possible with the resources they have provided is more than silly.... What's more it makes no commercial sense; which is the contradiction I made to begin with.

I repeat my original comment: they'd be only too pleased if we won the EL.

Please don't exhibit to me that you are dumb enough to genuinely argue otherwise..... I have faith that you're not.... Please don't let me down.
Only the EL why not the EPL or the CL the big clubs trophies, is it because we are not a big club?
Anyway I'm out of here now going to enjoy a few beers and enjoy the weekend I trust you will too.

Personally I have always hated the europa league, but if we are actually going to try to win it then I would prefer to be in it. Its still European competition and if we sign anyone maybe it will help....i cannot believe I am even saying this as I do hate the europa league

My opinion is that the Europa League is an absolute killer with the Thursday-Sunday schedule.
Now that the Champions League is done I think it would be an absolute blessing in disguise to miss out on the Europa League as well.
I think we will have more chance of getting back into that top 4 without Europa League distraction.

that's my opinion what do you good people think?
If we get top 4 we get CL however, IF we win the EL (glory and a trophy) we also get CL.

City and Liverpool are here to stay.

United seemed to have sorted it out. Bruno seems to be the real deal, Pogba has looked good since coming back, and it sounds like they will be landing Jadon Sancho this summer, a huge upgrade at easily their worst position, Right Winger.

Chelsea have already signed Ziyech and Werner, two players I'd kill for. They're also in the race for Harvertz.....they'll only get better next season.

Next season, we aren't guaranteed to get Top 4, and seeing how it's unlikely our top players would even make a match appearance until Europa Leagues knockout stages, (by then, we'll have an idea on the teams competing top 4 and what our squad looks like compared), there's no reason why I would want to skip Europa.

If we are shit in the league, we'll got the EL as a lifeline to make the Champion League.
I think we will have done well to finish top six let alone top four, with the mess the club is in and the lack of funds this isn't good to be pretty honest.
Of course it won't stop many clubs from spending except us, as we at spurs are a special club who do special things.
The immediate to medium future of the club doesn't look to appealing in terms of anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom