Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
Playing half-decent, attacking football and winning games aren't mutually exclusive.

no they ain’t but nor is playing defensive football and winning games mutually exclusive. Playing negative football (Jose) for a whole season is only worthwhile if you win trophies or if you are a really shit team and it’s the only way to stay in the league.

The whole point of going to games is to be entertained and that is our ‘’DNA’’ or at least was. Any manager can get away with coming 7-8th with us if they play a good style and build for the future. That is Nuno’s challenge to play a good style of football, we know we ain’t winning Jack shit either way but to enjoy our football and to build for the future is the requirement.

Got to be honest, alarm bells are ringing. Not normally all that bothered about stats, but this one and the ones where we're bottom of chances created and top of most shots against in the prem this season aren't exaxtly reassuring.
Totally agree. Have to get behind him but have to wonder if the club even properly vetted him.

Well, that's reassuring.

We barely get discussed on football podcasts these days, and a lot of that is down to him.
The guy is the epitome of boring football. Porto was founded in 1893 and this guy managing the team in 2016/2017 holds the record for most minutes WITHOUT A GOAL! And he had guys like Andre silva, diogo jota, brahimi, corona, Otávio etc

Got to be honest, alarm bells are ringing. Not normally all that bothered about stats, but this one and the ones where we're bottom of chances created and top of most shots against in the prem this season aren't exaxtly reassuring.
For us its been 2 out of 4 games where we haent scored in the 1st half. And in one of the games winks was playing. So really 2 out of 3 games. Im trying to be optimistic!

Benefit of the doubt for now and Sunday is a bit of a free hit as long as we avoid a pasting and show some fight. But after that we have Woolwich, Wolves league cup, Villa and Newcastle hopefully with a full squad. Big improvement needed by the end of that lot.
It's a shame we have to rely on playing certain clubs to hope for a win.
Once upon a time we feared no one.

The guy is the epitome of boring football. Porto was founded in 1893 and this guy managing the team in 2016/2017 holds the record for most minutes WITHOUT A GOAL! And he had guys like Andre silva, diogo jota, brahimi, corona, Otávio etc
So many Tottenham fans rushed to put a positive spin on the appointment, but I don't think anyone in the media (and they don't all talk shit all of the time) bought it. We are just seen as irrelevant now. That's why they don't talk about us.

I

nonsense argument - playing ordinary football won’t win you 28 games 1-0. It’s not 1990’s Serie A. WILL NOT HAPPEN
Thanks for that insight - my lack of footballing knowledge really showed me up there didn't it.

It was merely an example of how hypocritical people like you sound - it was fictional not reality as I did indicate. You want to play really exciting football, don't care about the results but want to win silverware.
To quote a football expert far more knowledgable than me ......."it's not the 1990's serie A. WILL NOT HAPPEN"

So..... if (bear with me I know it's a big if) we manage to win 28 of our games this year purely due to luck, playing ordinary football without exciting our demanding fanbase, but win them all 1-0 and on top of that we draw another 5 or 6, again pure fluke, what then? We have around 90 points + and a real chance of winning the league. Do we sack Nuno because the fans don't care about results they just want entertaining football? Do we bring in a really entertaining tactician who'll guarantee excitement and a maximum of 50-60 points?

I know which one I would prefer. There really is no point complaining about our lack of silverware if all you're interested in is exciting football at all cost - smacks of hypocrisy to me. I'll take three lucky 1-0 wins out of 3 against three entertaining 3-3 draws any day of the week.

And of course I know we want the best of both worlds - every game entertaining 3-0 wins - but wouldn't everyone? It doesn't happen unless you have billions to spend on wages, transfer fees and coaching staff. We don't.
Right, so in this unicorn of a season where we fluke the league with turgid football, what happens the following season where our lucky leprecauns all die of syphilis?

Last edited:
Well not on Levy who apparently did not want him but was talked round by Paratici
The appointnent and the whole managerial search is on Levy imo. He had ample opportunity early summer to appoint Potter or ten Hag or someone else in keeping with his DNA statement and failed. We appointed Nuno when we were seemingly out of options and only a week before pre season started. That last minute desperation leads you to make panic decisions which we've seen in many a transfer window over the years.

I’d rate solsjkaer above Nuno. At least he tries to attack
I see a lot of OGS criticism here. Let's not forget that even if you have a strong squad and spending power, it won’t be a cohesive team unless the manager pulls it all together as he seems to be doing. They're very strong title contenders which we aren't at the moment. They are playing excellent football which we aren't. I'm damn sure he would be doing more than Beardo is.

Last edited:
Hasn't filled the squad with any by the looks of it.

I mean, how fucked are we. As much as I didn't think Mourinho was the right choice, he got sacked before a trophy game (when he guarantees trophies) just shows how fucked we are.

And then after all the people that were linked with, borderline world class managers, we end up with Nuno. And I am happy for him, I thought he did brilliantly with Wolves, but I have that nagging suspicion that...well he's just not right for us. He looks out of his depth, and I don't care what anyone says about 9 points from 3 games l.

But I can only imagine how the squad feels. A tumultuous 18 months of not just everything falling apart at the club, but not being to escape the realities of Covid and then getting a mid table manager when everything else screams progress is a joke.

We need someone who can come in and give the lads a confidence boost. Just a good "Cam on lads, it's Chelsea and the worst we can do is give 'em a good kickin'."

Ugh. You know what. This squad needs a Rednkapp. No chance we can just have 'Arry come in as a touchline advisor can we?
I'd love that!

Back
Top Bottom