Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
The appointnent and the whole managerial search is on Levy imo. He had ample opportunity early summer to appoint Potter or ten Hag or someone else in keeping with his DNA statement and failed. We appointed Nuno when we were seemingly out of options and only a week before pre season started. That last minute desperation leads you to make panic decisions which we've seen in many a transfer window over the years.

Fans wouldn't have had Potter, the atmosphere would have be even worse than it is now, Ten Haag didn't have an back room staff and didn't plan to bring them across with him and he apparently was aloof and shy in the interview, the fact that we've gone back to Nuno over anyone else tells you more about the other candidates.

Nuno is fine for a rebuild which is exactly what we're going through, Spurs fans won't accept it because he plays cautious football but IMO we could have done a lot worse.

Very easy when you have Ronaldo, Bruno, Pogba, Sancho etc... in your team, there's loads of goals in there.

OGS wouldn't do fuck all with the players we have here.

OGS does nothing to help his team. but the one thing he does do is let them go out and play. He doesn't actively hold them back like we have seen with Jose and Nuno.

We might not get any different results under Ole but we surely would play better football. He would play the best players we have not try to set up to get 0-0 draws at HT and then get lucky in the 2nd half.

Fans wouldn't have had Potter, the atmosphere would have be even worse than it is now, Ten Haag didn't have an back room staff and didn't plan to bring them across with him and he apparently was aloof and shy in the interview, the fact that we've gone back to Nuno over anyone else tells you more about the other candidates.

Nuno is fine for a rebuild which is exactly what we're going through, Spurs fans won't accept it because he plays cautious football but IMO we could have done a lot worse.
It tells you we didn"t have to pay compensation and we'd left it so late we blinked, going in for someone we'd shown no interest in for the previous 10 weeks . I see no reason fans wouldnt have warmed to Potter and his football. It would certainly feel more of a rebuild appointment and in keeping of the type of football the fans want to see. I think Nuno is an adequate manager but my feeling is that he isnt suited to us and after Mourinho we needed a complete change of direction, in keeping with Levys statement which he didnt back up with actions.

OGS does nothing to help his team. but the one thing he does do is let them go out and play. He doesn't actively hold them back like we have seen with Jose and Nuno.

We might not get any different results under Ole but we surely would play better football. He would play the best players we have not try to set up to get 0-0 draws at HT and then get lucky in the 2nd half.

I don't understand this? What would be the necessity of holding back those players, of course he's gonna let them go out and play because that's playing to their strengths. Ole doesn't even do anything special tactically anyway, he doesn't need to for the majority of matches because the attacking players they have are generally pretty good.

Expecting our players to be able to play freely or attack more just ignores the fact that we generally have a largely average squad now, if our key players played together over a consistent period and started to peak then you'd probably see more expansive football.

Totally agree. Have to get behind him but have to wonder if the club even properly vetted him.
Wasn’t there something about Paratici having to show Levy old videos of Nunos *one* season as Valencia coach where he allegedly played some decent football at times as a way of getting Levy to agree to the appointment?

It was just a baffling appointment that makes less and less sense each passing day.

It tells you we didn"t have to pay compensation and we'd left it so late we blinked, going in for someone we'd shown no interest in for the previous 10 weeks . I see no reason fans wouldnt have warmed to Potter and his football. It would certainly feel more of a rebuild appointment and in keeping of the type of football the fans want to see. I think Nuno is an adequate manager but my feeling is that he isnt suited to us and after Mourinho we needed a complete change of direction, in keeping with Levys statement which he didnt back up with actions.

I do, there was a massive backlash when we were linked with him in the summer. The moment he'd lose his first match or the team go through a rough patch would have been calls for his head and general delusion amongst the fanbase, not many fans would have accepted a Brighton manager who's team finished in 16th last season as a sign of progress.

I don't understand this? What would be the necessity of holding back those players, of course he's gonna let them go out and play because that's playing to their strengths. Ole doesn't even do anything special tactically anyway, he doesn't need to for the majority of matches because the attacking players they have are generally pretty good.

Expecting our players to be able to play freely or attack more just ignores the fact that we generally have a largely average squad now, if our key players played together over a consistent period and started to peak then you'd probably see more expansive football.

It involves playing players like Ndombele, GLC and Gil not Alli, Winks and Moura that offer nothing in terms of attack or progression.

Look at the stat that Nuno teams have failed to score in 83 of 118 first halves in the PL. Watching us and Wolves you can see why, he sets up to try and ride out the first half and then try to get lucky with a goal in the 2nd half. He doesn't have any sort of plan of attack, watching his teams you never see them seem to do anything other than hope their top players can create out of nothing. In every game we have played outside of maybe the 2nd PDF game, we have gone out with a plan to not concede.

Perhaps that's what makes him a decent manager. The players he has are good enough to just need the odd nudge. Heavy handed management is simply not required. I think he's doing a good job.

I do, there was a massive backlash when we were linked with him in the summer. The moment he'd lose his first match or the team go through a rough patch would have been calls for his head and general delusion amongst the fanbase, not many fans would have accepted a Brighton manager who's team finished in 16th last season as a sign of progress.
Well the reality is the first bad result at home then that will all be coming Nuno's way as well. There is zero tolerance for more boring football after 18 months of Mourinho. I think our fans would be a lot more forgiving for a manager that has us trying to play than another one that bores us to tears. You only have to look over the years which managers our fans have taken to.

It involves playing players like Ndombele, GLC and Gil not Alli, Winks and Moura that offer nothing in terms of attack or progression.

Look at the stat that Nuno teams have failed to score in 83 of 118 first halves in the PL. Watching us and Wolves you can see why, he sets up to try and ride out the first half and then try to get lucky with a goal in the 2nd half. He doesn't have any sort of plan of attack, watching his teams you never see them seem to do anything other than hope their top players can create out of nothing. In every game we have played outside of maybe the 2nd PDF game, we have gone out with a plan to not concede.

Playing those players might equate to more expansive football but you're off setting the defensive contribution from the players you've left out, also you're asking for him to play Ndombele who up until the end of the TW didn't want to be here, GLC has been unavailable for a couple of matches and Gil is new in the league.

Despite all that he's only been in charge of 4 PL matches and we have had a fuck load of bad luck with players missing and what not so I'm not casting 100% judgement yet, plenty of time for this team to take shape.

Perhaps that's what makes him a decent manager. The players he has are good enough to just need the odd nudge. Heavy handed management is simply not required. I think he's doing a good job.

He's spent £440m in 3 years and hasn't won a single thing, criminal despite the players he's had at his disposal.

Well the reality is the first bad result at home then that will all be coming Nuno's way as well. There is zero tolerance for more boring football after 18 months of Mourinho. I think our fans would be a lot more forgiving for a manager that has us trying to play than another one that bores us to tears. You only have to look over the years which managers our fans have taken to.

Sherwood was a more attacking manager :sherwoodlol:

Playing those players might equate to more expansive football but you're off setting the defensive contribution from the players you've left out, also you're asking for him to play Ndombele who up until the end of the TW didn't want to be here, GLC has been unavailable for a couple of matches and Gil is new in the league.

Despite all that he's only been in charge of 4 PL matches and we have had a fuck load of bad luck with players missing and what not so I'm not casting 100% judgement yet, plenty of time for this team to take shape.

I am talking about Nuno beyond just Spurs. Much of what we are seeing in his short time here is the same things that were problems with him at Wolves.

GLC was available at the start of the season and instead we played the much worse Alli. There is no excuse or reason for that. Especially when he saw how useless we were in attack in all of our games. Ndombele may have attitude issues but the job of the manager is to fix those sort of things. Even with a plug like Alli, he could be used to at least try and go forward and make a pass.

With 3 seasons of shit football at Wolves and now 4 PL (and 3 European games) of shit with us, how long does the "players" excuse mean nothing and we actually look at what Nuno has done.

The stat mentioned about 83 non goal first half in 118 games is a fairly big sample size.

We have had much more good luck than bad. Two of our 3 goals are down to the luck of getting terrible play from other teams keepers. City and Wolves missed chances they should have easily scored. We are where we are in the table in large part due to luck. We are the last team that should be crying about luck.

Back
Top Bottom