Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
And just a point for discussion. Based on what we have seen so far it’s not looking promising in the slightest but……

2014-15 was Pochettino’s first year and nine games in, things didn’t look so hot. Spurs were 3-4-2 at that point and were coming off a 4-1 thrashing at the hands of Manchester city and appalling homes loses to WBA and Newcastle. After winning the first two matches of the season Spurs started to sputter.”
Slightly different. Poch played good football at Southampton so there was a bit more goodwill. 6 games in we had scored 8 goals rather than 4 and played really well against QPR and Woolwich. We had Kane scoring in Europe and he'd started playing Mason so at least there was a feel of change. I dont suppose we were bottom for chances created and distance covered in games either. Thought Nuno should get until November international break and see where we are but think we need to see something against Villa as its been beyond rubbish.

And just a point for discussion. Based on what we have seen so far it’s not looking promising in the slightest but……

2014-15 was Pochettino’s first year and nine games in, things didn’t look so hot. Spurs were 3-4-2 at that point and were coming off a 4-1 thrashing at the hands of Manchester city and appalling homes loses to WBA and Newcastle. After winning the first two matches of the season Spurs started to sputter.”
You’ve asked for it to be discussed, so....
But really don’t like these past examples that are very much exceptions - not common outcomes - to the rule. Most managers DO NOT recover from such a poor and underwhelming start. The whole thing is just horrible (Poch’s start wasn’t as bad as this either). Everything just screams failure - the nightmare stats, his permanent sullen demeanour on the sidelines, his awful interviews, the sheer lack of playing style and purpose. You cant pick the worst moments and aspects of Poch’s tenure (the 3rd/4th best manager in our history) to excuse Nuno. There is literally nothing positive to grab onto.
The only saving grace is if the players are buying into what he’s trying to achieve. But all the noises coming out the camp suggest this isn’t the case.
This sullen, misery of a man isn’t making it. It’s just a matter of time to pull the trigger.

You have to balance results with performances to try and determine whether a coach is getting anywhere.

We've not had a decent performance in a game against a top level side all season. There's nothing to suggest this will all fall into place and things will "click"

I wasn't impressed with Poch at first. Part of the problem with that was I thought he was just another AVB. The fact we beat QPR in that first game and scored a goal after 47 uninterrupted passes suggested there was actually something there.

You have to balance results with performances to try and determine whether a coach is getting anywhere.

We've not had a decent performance in a game against a top level side all season. There's nothing to suggest this will all fall into place and things will "click"

I wasn't impressed with Poch at first. Part of the problem with that was I thought he was just another AVB. The fact we beat QPR in that first game and scored a goal after 47 uninterrupted passes suggested there was actually something there.

There was alot of games under Pochettino where you could see the ideas he was trying to implement, just had to exorcise lazy players and the ghosts of AVB and Sherwood. The idea to press and move the ball quickly was always there, there was movement and combinations in midfield. What is it with these Portugese coaches and not wanting to coach transitions? AVB, Mourinho and Nuno teams have all had terrible movement and pressing.

There was alot of games under Pochettino where you could see the ideas he was trying to implement, just had to exorcise lazy players and the ghosts of AVB and Sherwood. The idea to press and move the ball quickly was always there, there was movement and combinations in midfield.What is it with these Portugese coaches and not wanting to coach transitions? AVB, Mourinho and Nuno teams have all had terrible movement and pressing.

‘’What is it with these Portugese coaches and not wanting to coach transitions? AVB, Mourinho and Nuno teams have all had terrible movement and pressing.’’

BINGO!! Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb might be able to explain but static movement, lack of interplay and reliance of individual brilliance to open doors seems to be for all of those managers the method. It’s as if the defensive shape has to be maintained in all circumstances even when you have the ball in attack.

‘’What is it with these Portugese coaches and not wanting to coach transitions? AVB, Mourinho and Nuno teams have all had terrible movement and pressing.’’

BINGO!! Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb might be able to explain but static movement, lack of interplay and reliance of individual brilliance to open doors seems to be for all of those managers the method. It’s as if the defensive shape has to be maintained in all circumstances even when you have the ball in attack.
Most portugueses managers think that “winning by 1-0 is better than winning 5-4” and they take it literally.

The football has been shite but we are actually somehow up a point on the same fixtures as last year (when we were also shite, so not really sure what it says) and beat villa and it is then 4 points up on last season.

Just trying to find something positive to latch on to!

Should send him my number and he can just call instead of reading my posts.

Doesn't know how to play a dynamic 433.

And 3 at the back just doesn't suit us.

He needs to play 4231 and at least let the old guard slip back into the more attacking mode they're used to, having had it drilled into them for so many years.

But, alas, this fella and got a scooby.

He'll bumble about until he's sacked (not far off).

Should send him my number and he can just call instead of reading my posts.

I still think we have the personnel for 3 at the back and it's what Nuno knows. The idea that it's inherently defensive is bunk imo. Certainly worth a try more than going back to 4-3-3. Our depth with capable CBs is much better than our depth in midfield. Looked good today, but I'm not sure we have anyone else who can play as a holding 2 if PEH/Skipp get injured or need a rest.

I still think we have the personnel for 3 at the back and it's what Nuno knows. The idea that it's inherently defensive is bunk imo. Certainly worth a try more than going back to 4-3-3. Our depth with capable CBs is much better than our depth in midfield. Looked good today, but I'm not sure we have anyone else who can play as a holding 2 if PEH/Skipp get injured or need a rest.
We lose the ball too much.

That shape, largely, requires longer ground-balls, with more technical ability and precision, and we struggle with that; end up playing overly cautious and produce rancid turgidity.

4231 allows us to be more compact, yet dynamic and explosive.

I'd rather see us play 442 as an alternate shape, than 343/352

*Tanganga next to PEH is my preferred MF2 in 4231.. would allow Pierre to do a lot more of what he did today, with a stronger, faster safety net behind him.

Today buys him time which, given the lack of alternatives is no bad thing. He has something to build on. Win at Newcastle (which we should) then the season suddenly has a different look. Still not sure i'd be putting down any roots in London if i was him though.

Some very encouraging team choice and style of play improvements today. I think today’s starting 11 actually looks on paper like a group that if they are playing to their potential and managed well could compete for top 4. Lucas and Dier could be improved upon probably.

I’m not really very hopeful for Nuno, but also reminded of how bad Pochettino’s start was before he sorted which players he could trust and got them playing his style.

Back
Top Bottom