Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
Being defensive shit-houses got them their previous league title and to 2 CL finals. Let's not pretend Simeone didn't build his career on being hard to beat.
And that formula ran stale to the point, where people were asking if Simeone was done. (3 CL exits in a row playing meekly - the surrender in Turin the most galling)

Thankfully for them, the Atletico board realised that they had a transformative Argentine coach and duly backed him to rebuild the team.

And that formula ran stale to the point, where people were asking if Simeone was done. (3 CL exits in a row playing meekly - the surrender in Turin the most galling)

Thankfully for them, the Atletico board realised that they had a transformative Argentine coach and duly backed him to rebuild the team.
I’m amazed they didn’t do Leeds during Pandemic conditions, especially with FFP regulations prohibiting investment and painful rebuilds

That's a good point about Atletico's board/owners. Even before any change in style, Atletico have always seemed to turn over their players quite a bit under Simeone. He is obviously a very demanding coach and players only respond to him for so long. Most clubs seem to sack the manager when this happens (the cheaper option). Atletico back their manager and change the players and have reaped the rewards.

It doesn't really matter as Mendes controls the transfers not Nuno so unlikely he will have much say in whether guys come over from Wolves or not.
You don't become a "Mendes club" just because you hire a manager (or sign a player) he represents, people are extrapolating too much this Mendes issue.
Mendes' clubs need the explicit backing of the clubs' presidents/owners/directors of football/etc. Levy just needs to say he's not interested in any formal or informal partnership.

Also, Mendes does not dictate or control the transfers, that's not how it works. People often talk about Matt Doherty, but that's on the manager, without Mourinho's approval (or actual direct request that he wanted him) the player doesn't sign. Sure, Mendes will try to sell you what's more beneficial to him, but ultimately the people at the club decide everything.

Even though he has a lot of influence here (Benfica), we have said no to Mendes many times, one of the latest ones we are now regretting. Pedro Neto was suggest to us weeks before Wolves, but the fans loudly complained "oh just another useless Mendes player, too expensive, blah, blah, blah" and the board quickly changed their focus to someone else. Well, turns out, once again, that Mendes can spot a good player.

I hate the idea that there is some sort of play nice football or win. The top teams play the best football. Pragmatic, negative coaches like Nuno and Jose aren't winning shit. The argument that has been made recently about "oh you would rather play nice than win" when it comes to Jose and Nuno is such shit because Nuno and Jose do not bring winning.
Jose has won more than our club in its entire history. Poch will never even get close to winning half of that.

I thought the point behind this was naming managers who'm had success with a more defensive/conservative style? ...Not to argue whether or not a leopard can change it's spots.

tea GIF

I believe Nuno is the one!

I couldn't give a toss what Mourinho had done in the past, all i know is i loved watching us beween 2015 and 2019, couldn't wait for the next game. Probably enjoyed it more than anytime since the mid 80's. Mourinho made me want to pack it in. It was vile, a joy vacumn.
Very true, but completely random tangent. The other guy was saying Jose football doesnt win stuff. Which is obviously not true as it does win and a whole lot more than poch football.

That type of football has won at every single club he has been at though. Just at ours it won nothing. Even pochs football won nothing here in his 5-6 years or so.

At United they won nothing impressive especially for their size/spend and only “won” the Europa because of their draw.

He was pure shit at United and rightfully sacked.

Very true, but completely random tangent. The other guy was saying Jose football doesnt win stuff. Which is obviously not true as it does win and a whole lot more than poch football.
History. That sort of football used to win things. Other than Simeone i cant think of too many other negative teams that have won much in the last few years. We also tried that sort of football with Graham, Santini and AVB and they all crashed and burned. Negative football just doesn't work at this club. We dont win much anyway so we might as well try and enjoy it which i did underJol, Redknapp and Poch.

Back
Top Bottom