Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He is probably looking at how Winks has got on and thinking that is a good path to follow. Specially when he seems to have had such a good time at Norwich. He could be the difference maker for a Championship contender team.

He is probably looking at how Winks has got on and thinking that is a good path to follow. Specially when he seems to have had such a good time at Norwich. He could be the difference maker for a Championship contender team.

You think he’d take the drop-down ?

IMO he’s perfect for Palace, Brentford, Southampton, Ipswich, Everton, Fulham etc. I think there will be a market for him if we don’t charge silly money.

£20m gets it done

IMO he’s perfect for Palace, Brentford, Southampton, Ipswich, Everton, Fulham etc. I think there will be a market for him if we don’t charge silly money.

£20m gets it done
All I care about is that he's not good enough for us and never has been.
A good season in the championship never proved it. Barely shown it in a Spurs shirt in more than the occasional flash.
Good lad, always got time for a Spurs fan, but we're not a charity. If we want to be the best, we need to play the best.

A good season in the championship never proved it. Barely shown it in a Spurs shirt in more than the occasional flash.
Good lad, always got time for a Spurs fan, but we're not a charity. If we want to be the best, we need to play the best.
Perfectly put

I think that's a bit harsh on Skipp.

His career at Spurs, like several others, has got lost in the managerial changes and uncertainty at the club in general.

It's hard to believe Skipp is nearly 24. I actually believe that Skipp will go on to have a decent Premier League career. Not sure it will be at Spurs but also not sure if that is his fault.

He's played 74 times for Spurs and most young players don't look the finished article until they have played at least 100 games.

Having tolerated Winks for 200 games I think Skipp should be kept around for at least a season after Hojbjerg is sold.

His career at Spurs, like several others, has got lost in the managerial changes and uncertainty at the club in general.

It's hard to believe Skipp is nearly 24. I actually believe that Skipp will go on to have a decent Premier League career. Not sure it will be at Spurs but also not sure if that is his fault.

He's played 74 times for Spurs and most young players don't look the finished article until they have played at least 100 games.

Having tolerated Winks for 200 games I think Skipp should be kept around for at least a season after Hojbjerg is sold.
The barometer should be that a player of Skipp's level gets nowhere near the squads of any side serious about challenging for PL and CL titles.

Just because we fucked about with Winks doesn't mean we should do it again.

The barometer should be that a player of Skipp's level gets nowhere near the squads of any side serious about challenging for PL and CL titles.

Just because we fucked about with Winks doesn't mean we should do it again.
I always thought Winks was an imposter.

My reason for this was my belief that to play in central midfield, with a number 8 on your back, you have to excel at either creating, scoring or stopping goals and be at least average in the one or two areas where you don't excel.

Winks excelled at absolutely nothing. His Spurs career was defined by playing short accurate passes, in neutral areas of the pitch, the majority of which went backwards or sideways, while under very little pressure.

I believe this made up nonsense is now described as ball retention.

Oliver Skipp loves winning tackles. He excels at it. Winning a tackle to Skipp is like scoring a goal. He also has an acceptable passing range, over long or short distances, and competes well in 1v1 duels on the ground.

Skipp will never score loads of goals but he is a much braver and better player than Winks ever was.

In my opinion.

Last edited:

£20m gets it done
I was thinking back to Norwich. Play off team already, add him and they would have every chance to go up.

If he was good enough he’d have played. It’s not the last 4 manager’s fault.

The fact he's managed only 74 appearances in 6 years from the hype he received tells you all you need to know. It's time for him to move on for himself.

£20m gets it done
The only thing I'd say here is that I'd want about £30m for him. I think he will be worth at least that to one of the clubs you mentioned. He's a good player and he's got the work ethic to go with it. I think he will serve one of these clubs very well for several years.

He isn't worth more than £30m but I definitely feel that £20m is under-selling him.

The fact he's managed only 74 appearances in 6 years from the hype he received tells you all you need to know. It's time for him to move on for himself.
Again; not sure that is fair.

Skipp needs games and a season long loan, at another Premier League club, should have been the priority for him in one of the last three seasons, in my opinion.

He has had at least one quite bad injury during that period and has never been given a sustained run in the side.

What I don't like is that he has become a bit of a whipping boy for some when the support generally are frustrated about results, performances and team selection.

I honestly think Skipp is a work in progress and is a better player than many believe him to be.

Winks was gash. No doubt about that.

I think Skipp has the mentality and qualities needed to thrive in a winning team.

If he was good enough he’d have played. It’s not the last 4 manager’s fault.
Maybe if Sessegnon, Lo Celso, Reguillon and others, who do have quality, had not under performed massively; I may agree with that perspective.

Something rotten has been prevailing at Spurs since 2019.

Paratici has done a lot to put it right.

Skipp needs to step up. I agree with that.

I think he can.

The only thing I'd say here is that I'd want about £30m for him. I think he will be worth at least that to one of the clubs you mentioned. He's a good player and he's got the work ethic to go with it. I think he will serve one of these clubs very well for several years.

He isn't worth more than £30m but I definitely feel that £20m is under-selling him.
jesus christ! 30m!!! wed be lucky to get 15 realistically. anyone who pays 20 is an absolute mug.

I sense if Hojbjerg had gone last summer and Skipp had those minutes (in that position at the base of midfield rather than high pressing 8 when he did get a chance), then we’d be a lot more positive on him. Sliding doors moment.
And for those arguing “if he was good enough he’d be ahead of Hoj” it’s not always that simple. Hojbjerg was the consummate professional and a big character who, despite most on the forums misgivings, has been a key player for every manager since he’s been here.

Back
Top Bottom