Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wouldn't be against Skipp, Gedson and Lo Celso in midfield, judging from the last game. I thought they were among the few players that had anything close to a solid game. Skipp on DM, Gedson as box to box and Lo Celso as more of an offensive option in midfield could be worth tinkering with (I mean, Ndombele's not setting the world alight at the moment). Skipp lasting all 120 minutes was a delight to see. Kid's got stamina.

4-3-3 requires the kind of full-backs who can bomb up and down the pitch for 90 mins, but whatever.

In an ideal world for sure, but I would like to think a LB (who could do this) is one of our priorities, Aurier can do it (unfortunately he combines it with being a fuckwit) but we are also linked with people like Aarons are we not?

In an ideal world for sure, but I would like to think a LB (who could do this) is one of our priorities, Aurier can do it (unfortunately he combines it with being a fuckwit) but we are also linked with people like Aarons are we not?
Oh, so you are talking about after we've been shopping?

The more time I spend watching Aurier, the more it dawns on me that he cannot cover both ends of the pitch. He does not have the pace/stamina. Also, he does not take good enough care of the ball. And I say this as someone who has often defended him since Mourinho took over.

Regardless of the formation Mourinho ultimately wants to use (if he lasts beyond the summer), we cannot persist with our current full-back/wing-back options. The game is all about transitions now, and we are suffering badly from a lack of athleticism in the team.

Oh, so you are talking about after we've been shopping?

The more time I spend watching Aurier, the more it dawns on me that he cannot cover both ends of the pitch. He does not have the pace/stamina. Also, he does not take good enough care of the ball. And I say this as someone who has often defended him since Mourinho took over.

Regardless of the formation Mourinho ultimately wants to use (if he lasts beyond the summer), we cannot persist with our current full-back/wing-back options. The game is all about transitions now, and we are suffering badly from a lack of athleticism in the team.

Precisely, regardless of whether we play 433 or not, modern football requires full backs who can get up and down, be attackers, midfielders and defenders. Unless you are Tony Pullis.

So any proactive format or phase of play really requires that we have them. We have half a one on the right but nothing on the left.

But we could still play a version of 433 with Aurier/Davies/Sessegnon. It might not be optimal - but fuck knows nothing else we are playing is. Plenty of of decent teams are/have played 433's without ideal FB's (PSG Meunier, Kurzawa etc) (Bayern Pavard, Hernandez). But it would give us a better balance and balance of skills. Lo celso and Ndombele as lateral 8's either side of a proper 6 in Skipp, two outside forwards (Bergwijn, Moura, Lamela, Sessegnon) either side of Alli (for now, or Parrott ?).

It could become a 451 when shelling, giving us much better protection across the pitch, with Ndombele and Lo celso pivoting forwards in attacking phases and the capability to play incisive passes either side of the pitch.

Main position :
Defensive Midfield
wowsers transfermarket.us

don't worry he will probably have an interview himself where he will states he sees himself as a box to box mid and all the people laughing will suddenly go quiet.

don't worry he will probably have an interview himself where he will stats he sees himself as a box to box mid and all the people laughing will suddenly go quiet.
He is certainly not a box to box midfielder, he is a DM by nature who can play as an '8', but hasn't that much to offer in the final third, that's simply not his game.

He is certainly not a box to box midfielder, he is a DM by nature who can play as an '8', but hasn't that much to offer in the final third, that's simply not his game.
The evidence i have seen suggest he is currently not a DM and is not ready to play in that role. I'm basing that purely on the cameo appearances he has had in the first team and his positioning. Have not seen him play in the youth team.

So any proactive format or phase of play really requires that we have them. We have half a one on the right but nothing on the left.
Half a one and nothing is nothing, in my book. Both need to be upgraded.
But we could still play a version of 433 with Aurier/Davies/Sessegnon. It might not be optimal - but fuck knows nothing else we are playing is. Plenty of of decent teams are/have played 433's without ideal FB's (PSG Meunier, Kurzawa etc) (Bayern Pavard, Hernandez). But it would give us a better balance and balance of skills. Lo celso and Ndombele as lateral 8's either side of a proper 6 in Skipp, two outside forwards (Bergwijn, Moura, Lamela, Sessegnon) either side of Alli (for now, or Parrott ?).
There is little point in comparing us to PSG or Bayern when they shit on us in terms of individual brilliance and footballers who can actually control a football.

Also, if you put Skipp at the base of a midfield triangle, it exposes him to a greater workload; not a lesser one. Is that fair?

no a box to box mid hence all his forward runs.

I think some people genuinely don't understand the role of a DM tbh. "ohhhh look how he tracked back and tackled"....hmmmmmm
Agreed but surely its more than that. They have to do all that and also make the odd defence splitting pass or brilliant link-up play. The role is perfectly played by Kante. Skippy did ok last night but I didnt see all of that. I know its early days but we have been linked with Rice who also does this role well. I hope he breaks through so we dont have to buy again.

don't worry he will probably have an interview himself where he will states he sees himself as a box to box mid and all the people laughing will suddenly go quiet.
They base it on actual match data (position, stats, etc.).

He a DM, bruh.

Half a one and nothing is nothing, in my book. Both need to be upgraded.

There is little point in comparing us to PSG or Bayern when they shit on us in terms of individual brilliance and footballers who can actually control a football.

Also, if you put Skipp at the base of a midfield triangle, it exposes him to a greater workload; not a lesser one. Is that fair?

I think we all acknowledge we need new FB’s.

I was just giving you examples of teams playing it without stellar up and down FB’s .

Skipp cm3
No, I don’t believe so. In some cases less, because without the ball the triangle flattens out and you have 3 in there, or even 5 if your wide forwards drop back. Of course it all depends on each coaches interpretation and application - but Mourinho is not a chancer. And it’s not a deep triangle or even a triangle at all out of possession.

And it often works like an alternating pivot.

Back
Top Bottom