Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have to mention how great the interception was for the goal too. Came out a fair bit of distance to win the ball in front of Felix.

Took the fight to the chavs.

Just like we took the fight to ManCity as well. This is just what is needed.
And ofc it is not only Skipp. It couldn't be. Romero deserves praise for this, so does Royal. And I think it was Dier who stepped out of the line around 10th minute mark and cleared the ball decisively (with also knocking Chelsea player in the process). Such actions send clear message - "Don't fuck with us. We mean business and we are not gonna make it easy for you. You WILL suffer". And it has worked.

It is basically like smothering a small flame before it gets oxygen and grows bigger. Because if we back off and let them have time and room, then even medicore teams starts to get into groove.

On top of Chelscum and City game I also noticed same thing in Crystal Palace and Porsmouth games. In CP one, Skippy and Gil started, pressed opposition, tackled and took the room and in the end we got comfortable victory from it. It has to happen in every game. And in order for it to happen I really hope that Sarr gets some time as well. Not that I would have anything to blame Skippy or PEH for, it is just matter of keeping the intensity up!

great passing, really crisp and a lot of it through the lines rather than just square or backwards.

We always knew he had a good attitude, and the hope was that he'd take his youth form up to the first team. Looks like the hard work and good attitude is paying off.

So glad he scored the goal. He missed a good chance v Pompey and the fans got frustrated. He was coming back from injury too which affected his game.

He had a wasted year when he should have been out on loan. He's come through that and the injury really well. This guy has a high ceiling.

He had a wasted year when he should have been out on loan. He's come through that and the injury really well. This guy has a high ceiling.

What wasted year? What loan?

He was one of the first names on the teamsheet when Nuno was at helm.
He was a starter when Conte took over. Overall he started 14 out of 23 EPL games + got significant minutes from sub-bench as well in reminder fixtures (only 2 games where he did not feature at all). Then he suffered injury that ended the season (and before that he got over 2000 minutes of playing time for us).
In short - starter, then injured. What loan?

This season... you can send "Thank you" cards to our coach who took PEH + Benta and played them until they were able to walk. All games, from whistle to whistle and basically gave finger to Skippy and Sarr. Overall that meant that with first half of the season Skippy played like ~350 minutes. But it has to be said, Skippy was still recovering from injury in the very start of the season. He would have missed firs ~10 games for whichever team he would have played. Where was the YEAR he should have been on loan excactly ?

Leao really tested his defensive capability and got the better of him a few times, but he was still basically rock solid.

Week in week out, you can just trust him to turn up. Once again the only bit of joy I can derive in our clusterfuck of a season.

He was fantastic tonight. Some great tackles, some lovely passes, he's so crisp with his technique and he never shys away from it.

He grew as a pro playing in a possession based Norwich team and its a shame that since then he's had to play under Jose, Nuno and Conte and their brand of football.

solid game from him today. still dont think him and PEH is a great partnership in terms of balance.

skipps best quality is that he rolls his sleeves up and gets stuck in, due to that he'll never get the stick shit like winks got. even on his worst day you know hes not gonna roll over. can see skipp going on to be a cult hero at the club
Skipps best quality is being fearless with the ball in tight spaces. He can play on the half turn and doesn't shit himself as soon as he sees an opponent in front of him in midfield.
Breaks lines more than he gets credit for with passes and dribbles.

Given that both Skipp and Sarr are likely to see plenty of game time between now and May, maybe we should be hoping Sarr shows real quality and we could move him for big money and keep the home / club grown talent.
Why would we want to sell any of our young top prospects. Can we leave the worrying about club accounts to the bean counters. The priority should be selling older limited drain on wages who are thoroughly maxed out. If Sarr shows real quality (he already has. He was better than Skipp away in one of the most storied grounds in European football whilst being fours years his junior) selling him would be an act of epic self harm.

Dier Loris Hojbjerg N'dombele Locelso Persic Sanchez. These are the players need selling. Skipp, Devine, Sarr, are untouchable.

I understand the logic. But I'd rather hold on to our better players. However, if we are in need of generating funds for transfers, then I'd agree that CM is definitely the area we are most stocked with talent.

Then (in that hypothetical world) someone else can go..... We only have one proper DM and Skipp is it. What's more, he is a good one and stands to improve further still.

His blend of ability is the player we've needed since the Vic/Dembele partnership couldn't be relied upon. He's the player we needed Winks to be but never was. We once eulogised that if only we had Scott Parker from his early days; well this is essentially it.

He screams future captain.

Last edited:
Not sure he's a future captain, seems too shy and reserved off the pitch.

He's young and humble..... Will he ever be a Keane-type? Probably, not but if he continues on that trajectory he'll grow; as will his external confidence.

He's never been shy to 'direct traffic' on occasion when he's on the pitch.

TBH though; if he never ended up with the arm-band it's not a big deal.

Last edited:
It has to be the fans that get the rules changed. But VAR is a great idea - it's the humans that are causing the problems. Most refs are not bursting with A levels or having even a bit of common sense.
Clear and obvious errors should not take more than a few seconds to notice and offsides should be decided by the same parameter and not imaginary computer lines drawn.
I think that's it. The video ref should be doing a quick multi-monitor review of the potential offside and it he sees an obvious mistake he calls it, he shouldn't need to verify it, since it's obvious.

Zooming into players toes to find an issue CLEARLY ISN'T FUCKING OBVIOUS, IS IT YOU FUCKING USELESS CRETINS!!!

But we're ignoring the very real possibility of corruption. Which seems to be in-play. Although I temper this suspicion with the wisdom "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" (Hanlon's razor)

Back
Top Bottom