Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With his improved passing and drive, could he unlock our creativity issues in a midfield 3?

I don't want to push Ndombele to 10 so I said 4-3-3.

Or is his creativity on display because it's the championship, and he's better off pushing Hojberg for his spot?

With his improved passing and drive, could he unlock our creativity issues in a midfield 3?

Or is his creativity on display because it's the championship, and he's better off pushing Hojberg for his spot?

He's better than people give him credit for, passing wise.

I also remember a wonderful assist for Spurs against Tranmere in the FA Cup a few years back.

Don’t know if anyone saw the game, I watched the first half and last 15, there was a moment about 85th minute where he bursts forward down the left, controls it, then under pressure back heels it to a team mate down the line, putting him into space. He’s not just about the grubby stuff, he can play some football.

I also remember a wonderful assist for Spurs against Tranmere in the FA Cup a few years back.

When I saw that pass in the HL vid on the previous page I immediately thought he has to play next season in the first team.

Think I remember that assist you mean. To Llorente, low hard pin point driven pass.

He (like Hojbjerg) is primarily a defensive minded player - but one who can and will create chances/key passes breaking the opposition defence when opportunities arise.

At aged 19 Skipp is still developing his playing style, and whilst ideally we probably play one of them with a more creative player against most opposition, it would not surprise me to see both playing against some strong teams (possibly in a 3 with Ndombele), or against weaker teams where they do not need to focus too much on defence as both are good on tyhe ball.

BTW I agree, IMO Ndombele is better driving forward from central midfield as part of a 3, especially as since Eriksen's departure we are not really playing with a no 10, and imo its reverting more to a 433 than the 4231 we used to play with a no 10. But I do think fans tend to get over exacting on distinguishing between the 4231 and 433 formation as its how the players play that counts, not the actual formation

I don't think he will solve our creativity problems but replacing him with Sissoko will actually allow us to move the ball through the midfield which we can't do now.

His passing is better than say Winks or Sissoko but not really on the level of a Ndombele/GLC/Eriksen (not that it should be).

If we add nothing to the MF having Skipp would allow us to play say PEH-Skipp-Ndombele against the top teams where we want more defensive bite in our MF but still be able to move the ball out of our box when we are in trouble instead of hoofing it out and waiting for them to come back at us like we currently do. I still think that MF 3 would lack creativity, especially if we are playing Bergwijn/Moura in our front 3 but would be way better than what we have with Winks/Sissoko. Against weaker teams I think we would want a better creator like GLC who could help to unlock buses.

I think ideally Skipp would be the 4th MF in a 3 man MF (to start) and could fill in for PEH, come on late when we have the lead and start when we need to have a more defensive formation.

I’ve mentioned plenty before that Skipp has a great stock ball that he plays well. It’s the, on the deck through the middle of the park to 9 or 10. It’s a great ball to break a press and one I always hoped winks would adopt.

unfortunately winks never did but it’s a ball skipp plays naturally to great effect

looking forward to having him along side hojbjerg

Really hope he's the missing link in the midfield three next season with Hojbjerg and Ndombele.
I hope so too but i think it's important not to expect too much from him. He's playing in the Championship, it's a big jump up to PL level.

Definitely going to play a role for us next year but i wouldn't want to over-burden him with expectation. He's still a kid really.

He's like a Hojbjerg clone in so many ways. He doesn't press as aggressively higher up the pitch from what I have seen, but that may just be the system he's in.

Skipp building up and practicing a nice repertoire of moves - note the different back heels in both video clips.

Good find, that was the bit I was talking if about. A back heel isn’t anything to applaud in and of itself, it was more the fact that he’s got that in the locker in top of the graft and tenacity of his main remit. Nice combo.

Good find, that was the bit I was talking if about. A back heel isn’t anything to applaud in and of itself, it was more the fact that he’s got that in the locker in top of the graft and tenacity of his main remit. Nice combo.

Thanks

By itself a back heel means nothing, but as I've written elsewhere he's using this season to acquire and practice a number of moves in various combinations in competitive football which will stand him in good stead next season.

Skipp will find PL that bit faster and more difficult to play against better players, but I think that getting a good repertoire of moves together is going to serve him well in the future.

Its not the same but I am reminded of Kane's first season in PL where he seemed to take a delight in scoring all sorts of different goals from different positions, perhaps just to show himself that all the moves he had practiced could still be done in PL.

Back
Top Bottom