OMT: Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sometimes I think that perhaps there's political reasons for all this; we've been caught up in immigration stuff for years in this country, and media outlets such as the Daily Mail love to stoke the fire and incite negativity and discord on this subject.
As a result, we may be feeling a bit disjointed as a country (or group of) and feel a bit disconnected from our national identity. This tends to lead to us not really giving a stuff about the England team (which is often seen) and perhaps having a bit less unity as a fan base, outside and inside of a stadium.
Nations like Germany have been sort of squished back into unity over the last 30 years, encouraging a bit more 'togetherness' and they've embraced it, you can see it in their industry, lifestyles and, per the example, the way they do their Fußball.

That could all be utter shit though, just a suspicion I have with no real basis of reliability other than observation and guess work. We're not the most unified over here (UK) these days though, that's for sure - as seen by the government.

name me 1 other league that would have 7 teams still in with a decent shot at the league title with over half the season played. .
this is the kind of nonsense I am trying to highlight. Do you really believe this? 3 teams at best, most other leagues will have 2.

Anyway my gripe id not with the PL, I was responding to a fellow supporter being all aggressive towards over sea forum users.

Last edited:
this is the kind of nonsense I am trying to highlight. Do you really believe this? 3 teams at best, most other leagues will have 2.

Anyway my gripe id not with the PL, I was responding to a fellow supporter being all aggressive towards over sea forum users.
to be fair I could realistically only see 1 of the current top 4 winning it, but us, Everton and Man U aren't that far behind. Most other leagues you get 1/2 teams running away with it.

to be fair I could realistically only see 1 of the current top 4 winning it, but us, Everton and Man U aren't that far behind. Most other leagues you get 1/2 teams running away with it.
its out of City/Arse and Chelsea may have a say. But as I was saying, I was playing devils advocate to a member who was slagging USA members.

Whilst you could argue that modern football has turned the Premier League into a 2-tier league; Those 3-4 clubs who CAN win the League... and then the rest of us! I think it's been more like a classic 5-tier league for a while now;
Those 3, (sometimes 4) who could win it (and the top 3 or 4 haven't really changed much in personnel either, since Man City came along and 'gatecrashed the party' I'd say, most years, it's been the Arse, Chelsea and Man Utd - up until this season!) then there's 3-4 clubs REALISTICALLY going for CL (this season, I'd say it's a 4-way between Us, Liverpool, Man Utd & Everton) then the 3-4 clubs 'challenging' for Europe... you could argue it's only Newcastle + Cup Winners/runners-up that can be added to whatever 3 teams DON'T make CL... then there's the fudgy middle bit, and finally the 5-6 battling against the drop.

It's always kinda been like this... the only difference is now, that there's little or no chance of ANY club outside the 'Main' 5-6 EVER thinking they can make a genuine challenge for the title... the days of Forest, Derby, Blackburn and Leeds ever daring to think they can win the league are long gone... though I guess you could argue that Blackburn kinda were the forefather's of what Man City/Chelsea did... only on a relatively much smaller budget!
If only Sugar had dug a little deeper into his pockets at the time, eh?

To add to the comments on atmosphere: I was in the PL lower on Saturday, down the front watching the match through the goal net. Atmosphere was utterly embarrassing, there was me and maybe 3 or 4 others near me who were singing, everyone else quiet as a mouse apart from when they wanted to moan and groan. Lots of young kids in there too - I just don't understand why anyone would take a 7 year old to the PL rather than the Paxton!

I actually joined in with the away fans and sung "our support is fucking shit" at one point. People around me laughed, said to me that they agreed and then proceeded to shut up again and not sing a thing. I despair...

The club NEEDS 1882 in matches like this. It's no wonder that our away record is so much better than our home record: at home it must feel like an away match for the players, because all they can fucking hear is the away fans. Then when we're away, our support actually sings, and it probably feels like a home match 'should' feel for the players! We need to reclaim the home advantage!

The club NEEDS 1882 in matches like this.
The sad truth is that actually they don't. At least not from a short term perspective. They know that come what may the Lane will sell out during a PL match, so I reckon it really doesn't matter to the likes of Levy who sings and who doesn't, and it's why we won't likely see a drop in ticket prices.

It could be argued that singing is an emotional investment that benefits the players and helps them to win matches, but I can't say I have a huge amount of faith in Levy and the money men accepting this concept.

Our atmospheres would be better if it wasn't for over stewarding, health and safety and prices. The other leagues don't have this to deal with.

But football wise. There is nothing as entertaining as the BPL. Simple.

The sad truth is that actually they don't. At least not from a short term perspective. They know that come what may the Lane will sell out during a PL match, so I reckon it really doesn't matter to the likes of Levy who sings and who doesn't, and it's why we won't likely see a drop in ticket prices.

It could be argued that singing is an emotional investment that benefits the players and helps them to win matches, but I can't say I have a huge amount of faith in Levy and the money men accepting this concept.

Clearly they don't need 1882 in order to sell tickets - but I honestly believe that atmosphere can win matches. Not all the time of course, otherwise Palace would be top of the league. But I think it can sometimes tip the balance. It can give the home team a lift when things aren't going their way, it can intimidate the away team, and it can intimidate officials into giving decisions to the home team.

So if atmosphere can win matches, then obviously it is very much in the interest of Levy and the money men to do what they can to help the atmosphere. And even if atmosphere doesn't win matches, it certainly makes for better TV - and we all know that TV equals money.

Clearly they don't need 1882 in order to sell tickets - but I honestly believe that atmosphere can win matches. Not all the time of course, otherwise Palace would be top of the league. But I think it can sometimes tip the balance. It can give the home team a lift when things aren't going their way, it can intimidate the away team, and it can intimidate officials into giving decisions to the home team.

So if atmosphere can win matches, then obviously it is very much in the interest of Levy and the money men to do what they can to help the atmosphere. And even if atmosphere doesn't win matches, it certainly makes for better TV - and we all know that TV equals money.
Can't say I disagree with you, there are many factors in winning a match some big like talent, motivation and tactics and some smaller but a good atmosphere that can lift a player/team is certainly something to have, even if it only makes 1% difference that can be the difference between 4th and 5th over the course of a season, I am sure the players want good support.

It is nothing new, though.

I went to several away games in 05/06 and then a few home games, most noteably Woolwich and WHU.

Back then already the atmosphere at WHL was very flat compared to the bouncing spirit in the away fans area.

Just an observation.

lol he kicked him in one leg then clipped his other falling over all without getting close to the ball

doesn't get much clearer than that
By accepting it, your condoning cheating because wether its a pen or not it was simulated, forced, made to happen. Sorry but i really can't accept it. Any justice was done when it was missed.

Our atmospheres would be better if it wasn't for over stewarding, health and safety and prices. The other leagues don't have this to deal with.

But football wise. There is nothing as entertaining as the BPL. Simple.

I dont know mate.. it seems like some people just dont want to sing or make noise at all. even when stewards etc are doing nothing

I think that Levy's understanding of non-footballing matters is top notch but I'm just not convinced about his grasp of how Spurs should be sold around the world. Whenever we talk about the transient nature of a football club - the management, players, staff, chairpeople, boardroom, stadia, training facilities...the one constant is the fans. That fanbase swells and shrinks, gradually growing across the world. But the fans who get into the ground MUST be allowed to sing and enjoy themselves because that's a big part of what makes a club look successful. When we see City fans or United fans, they're celebrating trophy success. If we don't have that same level of trophy success then we need to at least show prospective fans that supporting Spurs is a pleasure and privilege.

[quote="MrS, post: 460632, member: 3366". Foreign players come here at the end of their career. We have never had a stable of top world class players but no doubt you will tell me different (so fed by the media).
.[/quote]

What the fuck are you on about? Foreign players come to EPL at the end of their career's? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard on here, don't you mean that piece of shit league called the MLS luv, not in England. We've had foreign players in our league since Max Seeburg played for us in 1908! World class players like Ardiles & Villa and plenty of others playing for other teams prior EPL. Since EPL was created we had plenty of talent of all ages come here, remember some of these names modric, bale, ronaldo, henry, fabregas, robben, etc etc

At least if your going to say something talk some sense maybe on the subject of handbags or which washing up liquid I should invest in, you stupid woman!

Back
Top Bottom