Other matches fred 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Dier and Sissoko are good enough to start for us, Capoue definitely is.

Capoue is a very good footballer, it's pretty much Watford's midfield pair that are the hub of what's driving them to a very decent level, because it sure is shit isn't Deany and Grey.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't his ability that got him moved on, he got on the wrong side of the dressing room IMO. Personally I'd have loved to see him stick around and Poch work on him, because I think he could have been an outstanding midfielder, because he's got a real range of abilities. Tall, strong, tenacious in the tackle, excellent technique, short and long range passing with both fee and could move forwards with the ball too.
I think that's for 80 percent down to Doucouré who is their best midfielder by a country mile, besides that I think certainly Sissoko has been performing better than Capoue this season, last season would have been a different story, but I just can't see where your enthusiasm comes from to be fair. One thing we could probably agree on is that we will never see him in a Spurs shirt again so let's not bother too much about it. :thumbup:

If we were to lose Eriksen in the summer, the only cure for my abject disillusionment would be if we go out and spend the money on Fekir, Brandt and Mendy, if we did that, there's every chance we could do a what Liverpool did when the sold Coutinho and bought Keita/VanDyke/Allison and actually end up stronger overall.

+ Fabhinio, Shaquiri and whoever else they signed in the last 3 windows....

It's amazing how far people seem to think that Coutinho money (£140m?) stretches!

Maybe we could go even further and splash it on another magnificent 7.... (I jest at this point).

I think that's for 80 percent down to Doucouré who is their best midfielder by a country mile, besides that I think certainly Sissoko has been performing better than Capoue this season, last season would have been a different story, but I just can't see where your enthusiasm comes from to be fair. One thing we could probably agree on is that we will never see him in a Spurs shirt again so let's not bother too much about it. :thumbup:

I disagree about the 80% Dacoure, him and Capoue are a really good pairing, and also that Sissoko has been better this season. Sissoko's playing in a much better team with the likes of Kane, Alli, Son, Eriksen, Vert. TA etc etc around him. Capoue is a much better CM in a CM2 system than Sissoko is. Capoue's not an 8 in a CM3 though, which is what Sissoko is supposed to be most weeks.

I disagree about the 80% Dacoure, him and Capoue are a really good pairing, and also that Sissoko has been better this season. Sissoko's playing in a much better team with the likes of Kane, Alli, Son, Eriksen, Vert. TA etc etc around him. Capoue is a much better CM in a CM2 system than Sissoko is. Capoue's not an 8 in a CM3 though, which is what Sissoko is supposed to be most weeks.

Oh FFS, man... Your 'wise' cracks make you look utterly foolish at this point.

You don't have a reputation to uphold (no-one thought you were some amazing analyst to begin with)... Just take the 'L' and move on.

+ Fabhinio, Shaquiri and whoever else they signed in the last 3 windows....

It's amazing how far people seem to think that Coutinho money (£140m?) stretches!

Maybe we could go even further and splash it on another magnificent 7.... (I jest at this point).
Surely the Coutinho money was spent on Naby Keita and VVD...both occurred in the summer Pool tapped up VVD and before the Jan that VVD and Coutinho moved. Same as with Bale the money was being spent before the big money sale. Peeps made it out like it was genius the purchsed Keita the summer before but it was probably them not wanting to be taken to the cleaners on other deals combined with RBL dealings. The numbers match up almost exactly (not proof of my point bt supportive): Coutinho 122M VVD 72 and Keita 54M (straight fees no incentives etc).

Now I am of the mind that Coutinho was a hindrance to their play and not a Klopp player in general. They relied on his wonder goals to carry through games against parked buses. When he was gone it hurt their mentality. And I completely agree that they are a significantly more balanced side and better side since his transfer. I never celebrated that he left as I figured they were too close to actually being good. I was however happy about the scousers dismay, for a bit. Nothing like deluded scouse tears.

Surely the Coutinho money was spent on Naby Keita and VVD...both occurred in the summer Pool tapped up VVD and before the Jan that VVD and Coutinho moved. Same as with Bale the money was being spent before the big money sale. Peeps made it out like it was genius the purchsed Keita the summer before but it was probably them not wanting to be taken to the cleaners on other deals combined with RBL dealings. The numbers match up almost exactly (not proof of my point bt supportive): Coutinho 122M VVD 72 and Keita 54M (straight fees no incentives etc).

Now I am of the mind that Coutinho was a hindrance to their play and not a Klopp player in general. They relied on his wonder goals to carry through games against parked buses. When he was gone it hurt their mentality. And I completely agree that they are a significantly more balanced side and better side since his transfer. I never celebrated that he left as I figured they were too close to actually being good. I was however happy about the scousers dismay, for a bit. Nothing like deluded scouse tears.

My mistake in that it's only been 2 trf windows rather than 3, but although they tapped up VVD the summer before, wasn't the Keita pre-deal done the same window as Coutinho left (i.e. last Jan)?

My mistake in that it's only been 2 trf windows rather than 3, but although they tapped up VVD the summer before, wasn't the Keita pre-deal done the same window as Coutinho left (i.e. last Jan)?
Was actually done in the summer of 2017 and I remember them bringing the news as if something very special was going to come to the PL in one year time, but I have not been overly impressed by him so far.

Last edited:
It's weird because they announced it in the summer before that an agreement had been struck between the clubs. But I do seem to remember something official being announced that next January. I know RBL moved the goalposts and Pool tried to bring the xfer forward to Jan as well as they were struggling to get 4th. The january announcement might have been the fact that Keita had <6 months left so could actually sign.

Last edited:
Was actually done in the summer of 2017 and I remember them bringing the news as if something very special was going to come to the PL in one year time, but I can't say I have been overly impressed with him so far.

Keita deal was done in summer 2017.

It's weird because they announced it in the summer before that an agreement had been struck between the clubs. But I do seem to remember something official being announced that next January. I know RBL moved the goalposts and Pool tried to bring the xfer forward to Jan as well as they were struggling to get 4th. The january announcement bight have been the fact that Keita had <6 months left so could actually sign.

Any of you seen anything to make you think he was worth the hassle yet? ....Or that he'll 'explode' next season?

Can't really see what his 'thing' is tbf... I was expecting some kind of quick, high-energy pressing version of 'our' Dembele.

I'd probably give him a year to get used to the speed of the Premier League. Someone mentioned it in another thread but it seems like all big money midfield signings so far this season have failed to live up to expectations.

I saw enough of him at Leipzig to know he's a special talent. It probably hasn't helped being partnered with the likes of Henderson in there. It looks like Liverpool have FINALLY stumbled upon a midfield three of Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Keita though which pretty much has everything bar creativity which Firmino provides by dropping in.

I would still have liked us to have signed him.

Any of you seen anything to make you think he was worth the hassle yet?....Or that he'll 'explode' next season?
I've not seen it personally. I asked someone whose opinion I trust and who watched him more than me and he assures me there is some there, there. I didn't really watch RBL/him in Germany so I don't even know what is supposed to be there. So I'm sure someone is more knowledgeable than me on him. But I'm not impressed so far here.

In his defense he was kind of a bad boy/hard guy in Germany with a bad disciplinary record. But in England he has realized that even the ref might two foot you. It took Sonny 3 years to stop fearing the hit and his touch has gotten way better.

Can't really see what his 'thing' is tbf
FFS stop looking at his 'thing', it's creepy!:pochwtf::pochlol:

I was expecting some kind of quick, high-energy pressing version of 'our' Dembele.
I was as well. He seems uncomfortable on the ball. Saw a link with Klopp trying to get Werner to re-establish the RBL link.

Last edited:
I'd probably give him a year to get used to the speed of the Premier League. Someone mentioned it in another thread but it seems like all big money midfield signings so far this season have failed to live up to expectations.

I saw enough of him at Leipzig to know he's a special talent. It probably hasn't helped being partnered with the likes of Henderson in there. It looks like Liverpool have FINALLY stumbled upon a midfield three of Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Keita though which pretty much has everything bar creativity which Firmino provides by dropping in.

What's "special" about him though?

Was actually done in the summer of 2017 and I remember them bringing the news as if something very special was going to come to the PL in one year time, but I have not been overly impressed by him so far.

Very good footballer IMO, but many players coming to new leagues, countries, towns, languages, teams, team dynamics and tactics etc take a while (often at least a season) to get up to speed, feel comfortable etc.

Also not entirely helped by Liverpools’s slight shift away from the more high octane, high press stuff - which actually suits Keita’s Game - and their 4231 they played earlier, but I think he will adapt and prove an excellent signing. Playing him more as an 6/8 hybrid in a cm3 will help.

FWIW I also think Fabinho will prove a good signing too.

I think there are already signs both are settling in and improving. Didn’t see last weeks game of theirs but Keita pkayed well apparently.

Keita will create once he gets going, brilliant at carrying the ball forward on quick transitions for Leipzig and also finding a clever incisive pass - often after carrying it through lines.

That CM3 format as you say will help get the best out of him. Imo

His close control and dribbling is probably his biggest strength but his passing is actually very underrated. Fast, incisive balls that can eliminate a few opposition players, which is exactly what Liverpool have missed in central midfield for years (I wouldn't consider Coutinho a real true central midfielder).

I do think he's a little rough round the edges and not as polished as say Dembele is when it comes to holding onto the ball but I think his work rate is a lot higher and suited to Liverpool when they try and choke a team out.

It also seems like he's one of those that's going to get away with niggly fouls in this league. Picked up quite a few yellows and reds in the Bundesliga but hasn't received a single card this season despite some tough challenges.

He was great against Bournemouth last week and it was probably his best performance of the season but it WAS Bournemouth, one of the easiest teams for the top clubs to play against in this division. Bigger tests lay ahead for him in Bayern Munich and Man Utd. We shall see. I was particularly surprised to see Liverpool fans use him as a scapegoat this season, it's almost as if none of them have actually seen him play.

Keita - Wijnaldum
Fabinho
Is a solid midfield three to be honest. Two very athletic central midfielders who are good on the ball and work hard in front of a very strong, physically tough defensive midfielder.

It's a surprise Klopp hasn't played it more.

But yeah - if you want to see the real Keita, it's probably best judge him based on next season. Seri, is another one, I feel you'd have to give a year. Though I feel his decline in form is more down to being surrounded by some really poor players and a change in manager.

Just to support the above opinions with some numbers.

16/17 season he notched up 7 goals, 8 assists, averaged 1.4 kp, 2.7 dribbles. Whilst averaging 2.6 tackles and 2.6 interceptions a game. Whilst pkaying as a CM.

Last season was similar - there was a modest reduction in some of those numbers (but not much) possibly because his mind was on his big move etc.

One of those rare players with a lot of tenacity, who presses energetically, gets stuck in when you don’t have the ball, but can also play football - dribble, pass well, incisively and quickly when you do have it.

Last edited:
DzhdLoCWwAArx2V.jpg:large

v

DzhXxTCWsAALOUH.jpg:large

Back
Top Bottom