Other matches Fred - 2019/2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
No ones arguing that those 3 CBs you mention aren’t also extremely overrated/shit. Doesn’t change the fact I think there’s a reason no big team from the PL or La Liga has come in for Koulibaly.
Even in this game compare him to Lenglet, who isn’t nearly as highly rated yet is twice the centre back Koulibaly is IMO.

Lenglet's very highly rated ?

No need to spend silly money just because other clubs are acting premature. We are already gonna look stupid on the Ndombele deal, should he be offloaded this window, and that is very much down to the price we paid for him.

I'm not talking about us re Koulibaly, hence "uber" club, several of whom have paid big money for worse CB's than Koulibaly.

I'm all for seeking value, our inability to do it last few seasons is driving me nuts, but I disagree re Ndombele, I like him, think he has a pretty unique skill set, that in the right set up could be very good, "we" just haven't got the best out of him (for want of a much more complex explanation that we all know) and I don't think at the time we over paid in relative market terms.

I'm just starting to finish watching the Barc/Napoli game, that was not a pen on Messi, if anything it's a foul on Koulibaly, this is like the Mane/Aurier penalty at Anfield. At no point does Messi touch the ball, he plants his leg in front of Koulibaly's just as koulibaly (who is is possession and has touched it) is swinging to kick it.

I'm not talking about us re Koulibaly, hence "uber" club, several of whom have paid big money for worse CB's than Koulibaly.

I'm all for seeking value, our inability to do it last few seasons is driving me nuts, but I disagree re Ndombele, I like him, think he has a pretty unique skill set, that in the right set up could be very good, "we" just haven't got the best out of him (for want of a much more complex explanation that we all know) and I don't think at the time we over paid in relative market terms.

Yeah okay, the other clubs. I guess they don’t see him as good enough.

I wanted Ndombele badly, and I still think he could come good had he got the right backing from the manager. The price at the time seemed very fair. I don’t see any reason for him to rot on the bench next season, so for his own good, I hope he gets the opportunity to shine somewhere else.

I'm just starting to finish watching the Barc/Napoli game, that was not a pen on Messi, if anything it's a foul on Koulibaly, this is like the Mane/Aurier penalty at Anfield. At no point does Messi touch the ball, he plants his leg in front of Koulibaly's just as koulibaly (who is is possession and has touched it) is swinging to kick it.

I have to disagree on that. Koulibaly can’t just go through Messi in order to kick the ball. Clear pen for me, and I’m not even a Barca/Messi fan. Poor awareness from Koulibaly

No ones arguing that those 3 CBs you mention aren’t also extremely overrated/shit. Doesn’t change the fact I think there’s a reason no big team from the PL or La Liga has come in for Koulibaly.
Even in this game compare him to Lenglet, who isn’t nearly as highly rated yet is twice the centre back Koulibaly is IMO.
What are his weaknesses, Tom? Saw him at least twice recently and was really surprised by some of his defensive lapses. He was in a trance.

I have to disagree on that. Koulibaly can’t just go through Messi in order to kick the ball. Clear pen for me, and I’m not even a Barca/Messi fan. Poor awareness from Koulibaly

Awareness yes, maybe (as with Aurier/mane) , but for me that's also clever by Messi, same as when Mane did it to Aurier.

Koulibaly is in possession of the ball, not Messi, who has not touched it, he just plants his leg in front knowing it's going to get kicked. Technically, IMO, that's a foul on Koulibaly, the same as when a player plants hi leg so that it clips another players just as he's going to strike it, preventing him getting a clean strike - this is just more overt, but at the same time looks like more of a foul the other way because it's so overt.

Awareness yes, maybe (as with Aurier/mane) , but for me that's also clever by Messi, same as when Mane did it to Aurier.

Koulibaly is in possession of the ball, not Messi, who has not touched it, he just plants his leg in front knowing it's going to get kicked. Technically, IMO, that's a foul on Koulibaly, the same as when a player plants hi leg so that it clips another players just as he's going to strike it, preventing him getting a clean strike - this is just more overt, but at the same time looks like more of a foul the other way because it's so overt.

At the time of the impact I actually felt like Messi was in possession. He was just millimeters from taking a touch towards goal, so I didn’t get the feeling Messi just looked for the collision.

Let’s just agree that Koulibaly fucked up. How did you like his defending on Messi’s goal?

They have lightning in a bottle right now, time will tell if Flick is really a top manager. But there looks to be no stopping this team from winning the CL.

Hard to say he isn’t a top manager. He really turned around this team in a very short period of time. Actually, turned around doesn’t do it justice - they have absolutely dominated.

I would be surprised if they don’t win the UCL. They’re just too good.

I love Spurs, but I find the EPL arrogance extremely annoying. The English act like they have the best league in the world, but the numbers say otherwise!

Like your take on Koulibaly in general but gonna have to disagree with you on this one. This similar situation happened to Aurier some time back and he gave away a pen and IMO it was wrong then and now. Koulibaly is in possession and is entitled to play the ball. Essentially, all Messi does is place his foot in the path of said action. Important point to note is that at no point does Messi touch the ball before Koulibaly contacts his leg*.

edit: *In the act of playing the ball for which his possession entitles him.

Last edited:

This seems to disagree. I watch a lot of Bayern and I think Dele is very similar to Muller. The difference is that Müller has a lot better and more quality around him.

How about in terms of technical ability ?
Do you think Muller could perform well for us ? or Dele could play well for Bayern ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom