Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just watched MOTD. the Haaland assist goal was onside but the United "winner" was off??
Bent. The Ake goal stood as well. Bent.
Bent pure and simple and nothing can be done.

Just watched MOTD. the Haaland assist goal was onside but the United "winner" was off??
Bent. The Ake goal stood as well. Bent.
Bent pure and simple and nothing can be done.
Bent AGAINST United?

Y'all gotta keep your conspiracies straight.

VAR lives through the grace of its critics being easy to ignore as parochial, conspiracy-addled troglodytes.

Bent AGAINST United?

Y'all gotta keep your conspiracies straight.

VAR lives through the grace of its critics being easy to ignore as parochial, conspiracy-addled troglodytes.
If Haaland is onside then the United goal was onside.
No conspiracy theory- factual observation.
And that last line is a ridiculous statement.
We need some kind of independence on the VAR panel. Maybe refs from different countries.

If Haaland is onside then the United goal was onside.
No, according to the limited and flawed tools the VAR is pretending to offer an impossible degree of laser precision with, one was a millimeter onside and one was a millimeter off.

Bias is a stupid person's explanation for this issue. The problem is that adjudicating the game in this way was never intended and is fundamentally impossible.

It CANNOT be done. By anyone. Using any rubric. The lines are a total illusion of precision, it's snake oil in it's most base essence.

No, according to the limited and flawed tools the VAR is pretending to offer an impossible degree of laser precision with, one was a millimeter onside and one was a millimeter off.

Bias is a stupid person's explanation for this issue. The problem is that adjudicating the game in this way was never intended and is fundamentally impossible.

It CANNOT be done. By anyone. Using any rubric. The lines are a total illusion of precision, it's snake oil in it's most base essence.
I am not suggesting bias I am suggesting bribery and refs not wanting to upset their mates.
I totally agree with the laser precision comment.
That can be altered with a slight rule change.

You are the personal lifeblood of VAR's consumption of the game. I'm sorry, but it's true.

The reason it doesn't work is because is cannot, inherently, under any rules or circumstances.

Every VAR problem offers more VAR as the solution. See this dynamic for what it is.
I like the concept of VAR but I dislike it's application.

I used to watch it when The Fridge was playing but not recently.
Nice, go Bears.

Anyway, watching an NFL game has become a Matrix-like panopticon of replay reviews, it's awful and gets worse every year. Because once that medium was introduced, every problem just got solved by more and more review.

And American football lends itself to being digested in little chunks like that, it's so much more destructive to the aesthetic experience of watching football.

You are the personal lifeblood of VAR's consumption of the game. I'm sorry, but it's true.

The reason it doesn't work is because is cannot, inherently, under any rules or circumstances.

Every VAR problem offers more VAR as the solution. See this dynamic for what it is.
My biggest problem with VAR is that there has already been more than one decision this season, that only the VAR-ref would rule the way it was ruled if you put him in a room with 99 other random persons. Wolves not getting the pen vs United, Luton not getting a pen vs West Ham being the worst ones off the top of my head. It shouldnt be a guessing game, where the majority is wrong (offsides excluded) most of the time, as soon as "VAR, checking possible X" comes up on the screen. Woolwich not getting the pen vs United is the first time this season that I can think of (from the games I watched) that I personally felt that it corrected a wrong (again, offsides excluded). Every other time it either fucked up a good on pitch call (Son vs Brentford for example) or didnt correct a bad on pitch call (as mentioned before, Ward-Prowse handball vs Luton and Wolves not getting a pen vs United for example).

My biggest problem with VAR is that there has already been more than one decision this season, that only the VAR-ref would rule the way it was ruled if you put him in a room with 99 other random persons. Wolves not getting the pen vs United, Luton not getting a pen vs West Ham being the worst ones off the top of my head. It shouldnt be a guessing game, where the majority is wrong (offsides excluded) most of the time, as soon as "VAR, checking possible X" comes up on the screen. Woolwich not getting the pen vs United is the first time this season that I can think of (from the games I watched) that I personally felt that it corrected a wrong (again, offsides excluded). Every other time it either fucked up a good on pitch call (Son vs Brentford for example) or didnt correct a bad on pitch call (as mentioned before, Ward-Prowse handball vs Luton and Wolves not getting a pen vs United for example).
If you want the decisions to seem human you need to rely on human perception, it's no more complicated than that.

I want the decisions to be understandable. When literally noone understands the decisions being made, credibility goes out the window.
To be clear I absolutely agree.

But there is this temptation to say "oh, if I were running the VAR using common sense there wouldn't be all these problems" and it just is not so.

Incorrect refereeing decisions occasionally determining outcomes of games is an evil, a great evil, but by FAR, by IMMESURABLE amounts, the lesser of the two evils.

Bolivian 1st & 2nd divisions have been called off due to match fixing...............

Pray for bus-conductor bus-conductor and all the multi-screen soccer botherers in our midst.

:angehug:
japan people GIF

Back
Top Bottom