Other Team Transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Basically he says to Levy that we need to strengthen our CM and that Ndombele would be his ideal candidate, from there on Levy's job starts. No player will join us if Poch doesn't want him, it would be ridiculous to let a football nitwit like Levy identify the exact players for us.
Yup. Poch and the committee identify and decide on the targets. Levy and his team try to make them happen. And if they cannot for some reason they go back to Poch and ask him for what other players he would want to see as alternatives. Then it is up to Poch to say yes or no to an alternative or opting to not sign anyone at all.

He's involved in what players we want to bring in, but not in negotiating the deals.

Yup. Poch and the committee identify and decide on the targets. Levy and his team try to make them happen. And if they cannot for some reason they go back to Poch and ask him for what other players he would want to see as alternatives. Then it is up to Poch to say yes or no to an alternative or opting to not sign anyone at all.

He's involved in what players we want to bring in, but not in negotiating the deals.
I see how this would work, except for the time taken to identify the players in the first place. When did Poch find the time to watch Ndombele 20 times last season? Surely he takes his steer from scouts?

And if he did have the time, wouldn’t it have been better spending that time working with Eriksen to not hit the first defender with a corner?

I see how this would work, except for the time taken to identify the players in the first place. When did Poch find the time to watch Ndombele 20 times last season? Surely he takes his steer from scouts?

And if he did have the time, wouldn’t it have been better spending that time working with Eriksen to not hit the first defender with a corner?
Of course we have a scouting department headed up by our chief scout (who's name escapes me at this time). They are the ones involved in the day to day scouting based off of what type of players Poch wants, and presenting reports to Poch from which he either decides to discard them or to take a closer look. And if it is a player that he is really interested in he will probably go and watch a game in person like he did with Ndombele and Janssen for example. This mostly goes on during the regular season so that the window can be focused on negotiations most likely. It is very much a team effort that tries to match what Poch wants and what ever budget we have been given by the board for transfers.

Poch has admitted to watching way too much football for it to be healthy so it actually would not surprise me if he has once suggested a player based off of seeing him on TV.

As well as our own scouts we probably use a bunch of freelance scouts as well, who send in reports and suggestions against receiving a fee from us if a deal is made.

TLDR: Poch comes to the scouting department with what type of players he wants. They present a report with names. Poch and the committee pick a few to target. Negotiating team tries to deliver on as much as possible. And this of course does not factor in external factors like clubs not being willing to sell, players not wanting to move/move to us, agents being dicks or other clubs getting involved etc.

Of course we have a scouting department headed up by our chief scout (who's name escapes me at this time). They are the ones involved in the day to day scouting based off of what type of players Poch wants, and presenting reports to Poch from which he either decides to discard them or to take a closer look. And if it is a player that he is really interested in he will probably go and watch a game in person like he did with Ndombele and Janssen for example. This mostly goes on during the regular season so that the window can be focused on negotiations most likely. It is very much a team effort that tries to match what Poch wants and what ever budget we have been given by the board for transfers.

Poch has admitted to watching way too much football for it to be healthy so it actually would not surprise me if he has once suggested a player based off of seeing him on TV.

As well as our own scouts we probably use a bunch of freelance scouts as well, who send in reports and suggestions against receiving a fee from us if a deal is made.

TLDR: Poch comes to the scouting department with what type of players he wants. They present a report with names. Poch and the committee pick a few to target. Negotiating team tries to deliver on as much as possible. And this of course does not factor in external factors like clubs not being willing to sell, players not wanting to move/move to us, agents being dicks or other clubs getting involved etc.
Exactly. So he really doesn’t have much to do with identifying individual players or transfers. Doubt any top manager does. So when he’s getting slated by the press for making waves, he’s just saying it how it is.

So very unlikely he’s got his personal list of must have players.

Exactly. So he really doesn’t have much to do with identifying individual players or transfers. Doubt any top manager does. So when he’s getting slated by the press for making waves, he’s just saying it how it is.

So very unlikely he’s got his personal list of must have players.
He probably has a list. But he is probably (hopefully) smart enough to know that he cannot get everything that he wants.

And this is how it is at most clubs. Particularly at the top level. The days when the manager ran everything at the club died with Wenger, and had been dead for like his last 5 or so years in charge.

Football at a top level is too big now for one man to have all that power.

Fuck, we just need to look towards Madrid and we can see Zidane and Perez butting heads over Pogba for a good example.

Poch is lucky to have as much say as he has. If we had a sporting director he would have even less of a say in transfers.

VDB believe it

as.jpg

There's two parts to that question ... like most big clubs we have a structure for transfers ...

Firstly the "transfer team" will talk in generics, we need a powerful goalscorer, a fast winger, a defensive midfielder, a goal keeper .... then they will discuss what they are looking for in minute detail, this will include statistics, metrics, age, experience, and god only knows what other data they now have available. Only then will they try to put names into the frame ... FYI we also have a team that does the very same thing for 8/9/10 year old kids entering the academy, talk about forward planning.

Once a name has been identified as a possible option our own scouts will go and watch, sometimes for months, even years, if the player is considered good enough then Poch will watch hours and hours of video, he's told us that many times, if the player still passes muster only then do negotiations begin .... and this last bit has nothing to do with Poch ...

Poch's involvement is in identifying the positions he wants to improve, he also gets the final say on any player the scouting department have proposed. Apart from that, as he just told us, he's only the coach.

In a world where Harry Maguire might go for that, he’s worth double.

I get attackers are worth more than defenders but I’d far rather Maguire than Lukaku. Last season one was class and the other average.

And I am surprised that Lukaku would be swapped for Dybala.

Last edited:
....Anyone hear his translator?

fogueres fogueres - Call Goodison and the job's as good as yours!

To Goodison Park they made a big deal. It is in 2000 class but has an adult physique, great technique and speed. I am convinced that he will make 20 seasonal goals (PL and cups). The head is the only unknown. To date he has had a few hits at Balotelli (not with Juventus but in the National U21). If mature it will be devastating. Juventus sold it because it cannot guarantee the starting position.

Back
Top Bottom