Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

can't stop watching this

iKxCQf7xC3bG9.gif

I can't believe there hasn't been more of a Paulinho love in after yesterday. Seriously, this guy is over and above what I expected. Assisting from the wing, always popping up in the box as a goal threat, an absolute beast in regaining possession and always in a good position and a fantastic pass completion rate... Then he goes and opens his account with a back heel.

Seriously, he is going to be a Spurs legend if he continues down this avenue. True box-box Goliath.
I thought he was our best summer purchase, if I'm honest. Next to Sandro, our midfield is going to be so solid - no-one is getting through either of those two.

I wouldn't say it's excessive positivity it's more like he's so eager to please it can come off as cloying almost like a... teacher's pet I guess?

I love the enthusiasm Holtby has. It's clear he actually wants to play for us. Back to Paulinho though.....what a beast. The guy's rapidly becoming my favourite player :holtbytongue:

Great interview with my favorite of our new signings:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...gainst-Chelsea-for-his-fans-in-Sao-Paulo.html

I esp enjoyed these parts:

“The main challenge that he put forward was qualifying for the Champions League and fighting for the Premier League. After that there are the cups – either in England or in Europe," Paulinho says. "Tottenham are a team that is going to enter these competitions to win them. Step by step we are reaching that level.”

Villas-Boas also outlined to Paulinho the players he wanted to bring to Spurs. . . .

The Soldado, Lamela and Christian Eriksen signings were important for Paulinho. “We have this weight of ability and experience. That’s important for me personally but also for the club in particular.”

It is said that Spurs’ training sessions are now conducted with players interchanging positions at bewildering speed – across the midfield and attack – and rotating around Soldado. “We have players who can play in this way,” Paulinho said. “It’s an ability that helps the strength of the team.”

His career has been far from smooth. Joining Spurs is not his first venture into European football, with Paulinho being subjected to fierce racial abuse from fans after joining a club in Lithuania as a 17-year-old. He quickly moved to Poland, where he found life unbearable, and returned to Brazil with his wife, Barbara, and daughter, and seriously contemplated quitting football all together.

After three weeks it was Barbara who pulled him out of his torpor, as he sunk close to depression, and Paulinho began rebuilding his career with a local club, Audax, in the Brazilian fourth division before being picked up by Bragantino and then on to Corinthians with their 25 million supporters. It took Paulinho 18 months to start believing in himself again.

“I have always fought to play for great clubs and to play for the Brazilian national team. But now this has come to pass, I keep my feet on the ground. I played for a great club in Brazil in Corinthians and I play for a great club here in Spurs. I hope to build a beautiful story here with Spurs like I did with Corinthians.”

It helps that Spurs’ profile has risen sharply in Brazil – as has that of Chelsea’s – with many matches now shown live. “Fans who showed me a lot of affection during my three years at Corinthians continue to follow me. Tottenham games are now shown a lot,” he said.

I'm not surprised we're generating interest in Brazil (if only we'd taken Bernard too!). AVB certainly likes a Brazilian or two :p

Corinthians coach Tite has been quoted with the following
“When we finished the Recopa Paulistão I was asked if Paulinho was the second best player in Brazil. I said he was the first. We must understand that the team is not at its best right now. There is justification, it's just the moment. We need to improve, create, finish,"

We really have done well to get him. Corinthians have been on a nose dive without him apparently.

Full article here:
http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/tottenham-s-paulinho-blamed-for-club-s-demise-after-exit

Back
Top Bottom