Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I disagree. I think that our tactics, under both AVB and Sherwood, have caused these problems for our players. They've obviously been able to complete passes for their other clubs and are technically good. There just has been no movement off the ball from our players this year, and last too. You watch the other top teams and there's always an option available for them to pass too and someone is always making a run to create space. We're just so stagnant that every one is always covered and the players have to create everything themselves on the ball. They always look hurried and I think that's why they haven't been passing well. That's just my theory though. I could be wrong.

Completely agree. The other top sides pass, move, create space, and give the ball retainer a forward option. Because we don't do this it means we get hurried (no options - no easy out) and end up panicking going backwards. The fact that the midfield is ever changing doesn't help. Consistency/familiarity/system/repetition - over and over again until it becomes second nature.

I know it's a cliché but sometimes you need to go backwards before you can progress. Look at Liverpool's team behind Suarez and Sturridge. There are no world beaters there but the same team plays together all the time. Skrtel has played every single league game this season as has Mignolet. No Europe has meant no rotation. We need to choose a system and core first team squad of players and stop tinkering and let them develop as a unit.

LOL. AVB hasn't even been properly unveiled yet...

1- An "If" preface should clearly outline a hypothetical sentence structure.
2- My good man surely you must know by now that just because a football club doesn't announce something doesn't mean it is intangible. This is particularly true in the context of incoming managerial influence.

The only face not smiling on the spurs bench when Siggy scored....hope it's not an ominous sign

Hope quite the contrary. Feel it's pretty plain to see Timmy has the same problems with him I do. That for me is the absolute last straw after a win like today's.

In my school playing days one of my good buddies was on the team and used to always complain about getting more playing time. I encouraged him for quite awhile, told him to get keep his nose to the ground and keep working. However, after we beat our archrival in overtime after going down 2-0 and he was still complaining amidst the celebration, I told him to fuck right off and quit. Inexcusable behavior.

Hope quite the contrary. Feel it's pretty plain to see Timmy has the same problems with him I do. That for me is the absolute last straw after a win like today's.

In my school playing days one of my good buddies was on the team and used to always complain about getting more playing time. I encouraged him for quite awhile, told him to get keep his nose to the ground and keep working. However, after we beat our archrival in overtime after going down 2-0 and he was still complaining amidst the celebration, I told him to fuck right off and quit. Inexcusable behavior.

As understandable as that is, there is something disgustingly irritating when a manager picks you out for no reason and does not play you (playing worse players over you), if it is down to ability then knuckling down is correct, but ive known people (not even necessarily mates) who've had it happen to them when you know they can offer more than others getting games

May I ask who you would have benched for Paulinho?
I personally think he has been so underwhelming this season bar a moment or two.
I was disagreeing with the overall idea of people being annoyed about being benched as being a wrong action, I 100% agree Paulinho has been underwhelming although there has been glimpses early on in the season and against stoke of a semi decent player

As understandable as that is, there is something disgustingly irritating when a manager picks you out for no reason and does not play you (playing worse players over you), if it is down to ability then knuckling down is correct, but ive known people (not even necessarily mates) who've had it happen to them when you know they can offer more than others getting games

As for my buddy, he was a ballbag. Couldn't pass a ball straight to save his life and was a bit too catered t. As for Paulinho, I get what you're saying, but at this level there's a certain degree of professionalism expected. Pouting on the bench while someone playing in your spot scores a great goal to cap a comeback is just inexcusable. I've had my bad patches with coaches while they weren't happy with the way I was playing, but I fuckin hated sitting on the bench so I did whatever I could to get off, and complaining and targeting those in my spot was never part of the equation.

Flat out, I want this guy out. He clearly couldn't doesn't give a wash about us, and as such:

what if AVB doesn't want him but someone else does? Do we sell then?

Absolutely. Would sell him to anyone at this point. He still puts in solid performances for Brazil, and I hope he does well this summer, as it will keep his value up. If we can make a profit or close, I hope like hell we take the offer. He's not for us nor apparently we for him. Strongly advocate the two parties go their separate ways.

drivel being spouted on here - really hope he stays. Are we that good that we want decent internationals to leave before one season is out, when we've changed manager and it's all been a bit underwhelming?
When he was good against Stoke everyone was rating him and now its a (pretty embarrassing) moan fest on here just because he didn't dance across the pitch at the goal. Imbeciles

drivel being spouted on here - really hope he stays. Are we that good that we want decent internationals to leave before one season is out, when we've changed manager and it's all been a bit underwhelming?
When he was good against Stoke everyone was rating him and now its a (pretty embarrassing) moan fest on here just because he didn't dance across the pitch at the goal. Imbeciles

An "imbecile" would be one that rates a player on a sliding scale based on merely on international pedigree and performances. This is nothing new, ignorant one, as I was never impressed with his performances for Spurs (contrasted with how well he performs for Brazil, and hence my frustration) and started actively slating him once he starting wanking easy goal-scoring opportunities in the fall like he was paid commission to do so. From the very beginning he's played as if in neutral gear, and after giving him time and watching him only regress in terms of effort in games, I've lost patience and it's clear Tim has as well.

Christ, come into a discussion slinging insults of intelligence off the bat. You couldn't have laid down a more extreme oxymoron if you wanted to.

I absolutely agree that Paulo has been disappointing for the majority, but I was wondering: the sighting of Paulo appearing unfazed/monotone at the winning goal ... did people only notice that from pictures, or did it appear as such also in live/video too (for longer than a second)?

I didn't get to watch the game, so i dont know much, but maybe it's not as it seems ... as in like it was one of those "O ... M ... G, I can't believe that went in ... I'm fuckin blank" type of emotions.

I'm not defending Paulo's performances, but just saying that we could be reading too much into that scene. People do handle emotions in different ways.

Last edited:
He's just seen a guy come on as a sub in a position which he would expect to play himself (and no doubt a few in the match thread or on twitter did too) and then that guy scores the winner. Was probably sitting there up to that point pissed off at the scenario. The clap looked rather begrudging to me. But then maybe he's just not that kind of guy. Who knows. My favourite thing about the little gif going round is the delight of sherwood and the spurs bench juxtaposed with the devastated saints player, head in hands, right in the foreground. Poetic.

Back
Top Bottom