Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm yet to see it. I just don't know what he does?

He's slow, can't pick a pass, can't tackle, bottles EVERY 50 / 50, can't shoot.......

Brazilian Jenas.

He gets in good positions in the box, and some of his trick and flicks show he can be a technically good player. tbh none of our players have been able to pick a pass all season. This has more to do with our attacking play and tactics than individual skill IMO.

tbh none of our players have been able to pick a pass all season. This has more to do with our attacking play and tactics than individual skill IMO.

To be fair, failing the simple passes are not the fault of tactics.

We have technically gifted players as you say.....the whole bunch has just been too sloppy.

I would be over the moon to be proved wrong.

Educate me. What am I missing?
I think he's been solid this season - good drive forward with a few important goals to match. Can only improve next season, I think he has massive potential and boasts great technical ability

I think he's suffering from being in a new league, it's far more physical than what he's used to. He clearly has the talent, you don't play nearly thirty times in midfield for Brazil if you're no good.

He'll have a great world cup in his homeland.
We'll be well proud.
And he will be much much better next year for Spurs, and will play a big part in something glorious for us next season .

Aside from the new league, Brazilians often really struggle to acclimatise to northern European weather, it takes a year at least. No money and treatment can prevent it. I'd bet we're seeing the effects of that at the moment.

To be fair, failing the simple passes are not the fault of tactics.

We have technically gifted players as you say.....the whole bunch has just been too sloppy.
I disagree. I think that our tactics, under both AVB and Sherwood, have caused these problems for our players. They've obviously been able to complete passes for their other clubs and are technically good. There just has been no movement off the ball from our players this year, and last too. You watch the other top teams and there's always an option available for them to pass too and someone is always making a run to create space. We're just so stagnant that every one is always covered and the players have to create everything themselves on the ball. They always look hurried and I think that's why they haven't been passing well. That's just my theory though. I could be wrong.

He'll have a great world cup in his homeland.
We'll be well proud.
And he will be much much better next year for Spurs, and will play a big part in something glorious for us next season .

Aside from the new league, Brazilians often really struggle to acclimatise to northern European weather, it takes a year at least. No money and treatment can prevent it. I'd bet we're seeing the effects of that at the moment.

Wouldn't b surprised if he was dropped for fernandinho..

Paulinho average position by gameweek

c1hXR2V.png

2 = Swansea (H) 1-0
7 = West Ham (H) 0-3
9 = Hull (H) 1-0
13 = Man Utd (H) 2-2
19 = Stoke (H) 3-0

In terms of people saying he should play further forward, other than the Stoke game the Swansea, Hull and West Ham games were pretty forgettable.

Also interestingly all 6 of his goals for us have been away from home so perhaps he's better utilised when we play on the counter more.

If we could get his fee back I'd sell him immediately. He doesn't do anything for me. Maybe he'll come back next year reinvigorated after the World Cup. For the Brazilians this summer is the biggest the moment of their footballing lives so I guess I could understand him being preoccupied. Still I'd rather have a passer playing in the role he plays in. For me, he is just decent at everything but doesn't have a standout skill.

He looks better for Brazil because with the players that are in front of him there is no pressure for him to have to do anything creative. Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury and need someone who can impose himself more on the game playing in his spot.

Back
Top Bottom