Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
Ultimately people wanted a DoF and Levy away from the football side.

A fair desire, but most often then the case is that that DoF is the real key man - not the coach.

With that DoF offering continuity, vision, the purchasing and all that, its him who really puts it all together.

In theory coaches are interchangeable.

I like the new set up, I think its for the best - but I dont know enough/havent seen enough on Paritici to decide if he is the right man or not. This summer will certainly go some way to making a first impression on that.

Fonseca? I like him.

Not the glamour man we might have wanted, not the first name on everybodies lips - but the more I see/read about him the more I like.

I think he will have a much better squad to work with here than Roma, and I suspect his style suits the EPL more than Serie A.

And I said before - I really liked his Shaktar side, didnt even know it was him at the time - but whenever I saw them come up in europe I looked out for their matches. VERY good footballing side who upset a few "bigger" clubs on their way.

I definitely get the potential Poch vibes here, which is what I most liked about Potter/Ten Hag.

I cant say Fonseca was even in mind for the job for me a month or two ago (!), but right now Im not unhappy with him at all, more curious and hopeful.

If Paritici can work a little magic on the squad, Fonseca is in the best position of his life to show how good he really is (or isnt), and given how highly thought of he seems to be that is, to me, a very interesting prospect.

Last edited:
Did we actually top the league at one stage last year, or did I just dream that shit up?

Most of our dropped points were due to individual errors. Then there was the odd game where Mourinho's negativity was heavily punished.

We're not really that far away from it.

Thought I'd try a positive post amid all this jumping on the misery bandwagon that some cunts seem to have got rolling in here...

As mentioned above I think recruitment will be more important than the new manager.

If we can get it right and get the core shit group out there will be a new freshness to the squad and hopefully a bit more energy and desire. Couple this with a more attacking style of football and we could surprise some people.

We still have some half decent players at least talent wise. Kane, Son, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Regulion, Bergwijn, Lucas, Rodon, Skipp, Toby, Lloris, Tanganga and Bale if the loan continues as well as a good few young players like Sessegnon, Devine, John, Scarlett.

Next season is dependent mostly on clearing out the deadwood like Sissoko and bringing in at least 4 players probably 5-6 in key positions. It’s the post AVB/Sherwood situation all again, clear out, buy a few in and get a decent attacking style of football going. We won’t win anything but I expect better football next season long as the new DoF and manager start well and Levy offers at least some support.

Cue a need for a defensive coach .... or Ledley
Does anybody know if Ledley is actually a good defensive coach? He's obviously a legend and a nice guy but he wasn't getting any tune out of that defense last season....is that on the players, on him or a combination of both?
I find his comments about being surprised Dier didn't make the England squad a bit worrying. Maybe Ledley is too pally with this squad to coach them. Maybe he's better suited to developing the younger guys?
Poch did a clear out when he came in and I think it's a good idea after the last 2 seasons

Ultimately people wanted a DoF and Levy away from the football side.

A fair desire, but most often then the case is that that DoF is the real key man - not the coach.

With that DoF offering continuity, vision, the purchasing and all that, its him who really puts it all together.

In theory coaches are interchangeable.

I like the new set up, I think its for the best - but I dont know enough/havent seen enough on Paritici to decide if he is the right man or not. This summer will certainly go some way to making a first impression on that.

Fonseca? I like him.

Not the glamour man we might have wanted, not the first name on everybodies lips - but the more I see/read about him the more I like.

I think he will have a much better squad to work with here than Roma, and I suspect his style suits the EPL more than Serie A.

And I said before - I really liked his Shaktar side, didnt even know it was him at the time - but whenever I saw them come up in europe I looked out for their matches. VERY good footballing side who upset a few "bigger" clubs on their way.

I definitely get the potential Poch vibes here, which is what I most liked about Potter/Ten Hag.

I cant say Fonseca was even in mind for the job for me a month or two ago (!), but right now Im not unhappy with him at all, more curious and hopeful.

If Paritici can work a little magic on the squad, Fonseca is in the best position of his life to show how good he really is (or isnt), and given how highly thought of he seems to be that is, to me, a very interesting prospect.

In my opinion, this is definitely the right approach to take with this. We've all been battered and bruised by Tottenham these past few years and this farce of a managerial search has been the knockout punch as far as I'm concerned. That being said, I think it's important we as fans try our best to wipe the slate clean and get behind this new setup. We need a positive atmosphere going into the new season.

And yet at the start of last season, everyone on this board was saying we had the best squad we'd had in years smhhhh and that same squad was top of the league just before xmas.

Maybe, just maybe, a manager that let's the team play with freedom and confidence might just improve the shit show that occurred from the Liverpool game onwards last year, when the players clearly didn't buy into Mourinho's sit back and try hit them on the break tactics.

Not everyone. Most knew Dier, Winks, Davies, Moura, Aurier, Sissoko, Lamela and others were done.

We still have some half decent players at least talent wise. Kane, Son, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Regulion, Bergwijn, Lucas, Rodon, Skipp, Toby, Lloris, Tanganga and Bale if the loan continues as well as a good few young players like Sessegnon, Devine, John, Scarlett.

Next season is dependent mostly on clearing out the deadwood like Sissoko and bringing in at least 4 players probably 5-6 in key positions. It’s the post AVB/Sherwood situation all again, clear out, buy a few in and get a decent attacking style of football going. We won’t win anything but I expect better football next season long as the new DoF and manager start well and Levy offers at least some support.

Kane is gone. If not in body, in mind.
Son was burnt out by February. Imagine how quick he'll burn out playing farmers in Georgia in the conference league.
Lo Celso has done nothing.
Be surprised of TND doesn't leave this summer.
Hoijberg can be good. Not always though.
Bergwijn and Lucas should go. Both barely show glimmers of use to the team.
Skipp is still a kid. We've been here before.
Rodon yet to impress for Spurs.
Toby old. Showing it too.
Lloris old.
Tanganga total unknown quantity.
Bale probably not coming back.

You know as well as I do Levy has worked his way through everyone until he's found a coach(ing team) that will work with what we have.
All of the above and the other shite will largely still be here next season.

Who cares about the announcement? Just get it done.

Some fans will be happy. Others will be negative. That's not going to change. Levy can announce the manager the same day he announces three top signings and some fans will still be negative.
Just heard Gold say that the delay could be related to Italian tax law and something about a time period requirement for employment to avoid a big hit on taxes.

Back
Top Bottom