Pedro Porro

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Much better suited when we have the ball more but also won those 1v1's second half.

Fucking great character.
If he is a confidence player, and he's had fucking none since he joined, could explain why he's making silly little errors and such. Genuinely think he has a future for us at RB on today's showing, everyone calling out Ange pre-match myself included but actually I think we would've been worse off for having Royal on the pitch in that game, Porro worked very hard on the right to cover for Kulu's deficiencies

If he is a confidence player, and he's had fucking none since he joined, could explain why he's making silly little errors and such. Genuinely think he has a future for us at RB on today's showing, everyone calling out Ange pre-match myself included but actually I think we would've been worse off for having Royal on the pitch in that game, Porro worked very hard on the right to cover for Kulu's deficiencies

Was the right player for that game.

Porro is much better than Royal. He was excellent today. The difference between him and royal is massive when in possession of the ball. He plays at a pace which royal doesn’t. Our whole team is quicker.

He looked much better defensively today, inspired a lot of hope.

He’s a competitive little fucker too, if it doesn’t work out for him it won’t be for lack of effort.

Still way too sloppy in possession, particularly close to the box, but he had a good game otherwise. Stopping Rashford 1-on-1 was a high point defensively.
IMO that's why he was picked today. I would have done the same. Emerson struggled with the pace of the Brentford player last week.

He looked much better defensively today, inspired a lot of hope.

He’s a competitive little fucker too, if it doesn’t work out for him it won’t be for lack of effort.
He has enough about him to play in the front 4, 100%. Explosive little fucker

Great game both offensively and defensively today. Nearly scored a cracking goal in the first half and as always he gives you 100% effort. This is a player that cheers interceptions and clearances as if they were goals and I love that competitive nature in him.

IMO though I still believe he is better suited for a 5 at the back set up or in a 3 at the back with him being the right side midfielder who also comes back to defend. I believe he will get better in a 4 a man defensive set up but I get the feeling it restricts the offensive capabilities he can provide going forward. I feel the same for Udogie as well tbh.

I doubt Ange will change the setup but Spurs have the right players to really make this set up work in an attacking sense as well as a defensive one.

All in all though today was a good performance against a top 6 level team.

Great game both offensively and defensively today. Nearly scored a cracking goal in the first half and as always he gives you 100% effort. This is a player that cheers interceptions and clearances as if they were goals and I love that competitive nature in him.

IMO though I still believe he is better suited for a 5 at the back set up or in a 3 at the back with him being the right side midfielder who also comes back to defend. I believe he will get better in a 4 a man defensive set up but I get the feeling it restricts the offensive capabilities he can provide going forward. I feel the same for Udogie as well tbh.

I doubt Ange will change the setup but Spurs have the right players to really make this set up work in an attacking sense as well as a defensive one.

All in all though today was a good performance against a top 6 level team.
hes moved ahead of emerson today imo, it was close before today. but porro proved he can defend when he has too ( done rashford a few times) and hes sooooo much better in possession than emerson! and afterall, we are playing a possession based game now so that is very important.

dont wanna see him taking the ball on the half turn in the DM position too much though, that is not his game.

hes moved ahead of emerson today imo, it was close before today. but porro proved he can defend when he has too ( done rashford a few times) and hes sooooo much better in possession than emerson! and afterall, we are playing a possession based game now so that is very important.
Another thing to consider is Ange has said he wants his side to have control of the game and push the opposition back. With Porro driving forward and the threat he offers offensively thats going to push the opposition winger or wide player further back which will allow the team as a whole to press higher!

So you tell me Big Ange who is known mostly for his attacking football made this guy looking much better in defense (both 1 on 1 and overally as a member of whole team structure) than master of suffering and defensive football mr Conte? :) I wouldnt expect that, till today thought he has No future with us as RB in games against top rivals. He proved me wrong. In fact his only errors were not when we were defending, but during building from the back.

Then there was Pedro Porro. The Spaniard's name was the standout addition to the team sheet because his inclusion alone gave Postecoglou's line-up a very attacking and open feel to it.

Naturally questions were raised about how the 23-year-old would handle the likes of Alejandro Garnacho and later Jadon Sancho as he adjusted to becoming a right-back after years as a wing-back and a pre-season that had brought a number of goals conceded from his area of the pitch.

Those questions were answered with Porro's best defensive display in a Spurs shirt as he mopped up pretty much everything that came down his side, with one tackle, one interception, three clearances and one blocked shot.

He also managed to race up and down the pitch, hitting the woodwork with one well-executed sliced effort, while also making one key pass in the build-up to Sarr's goal and one successful dribble.

"My position [under Postecoglou] is a defender but the system is different and I’m happy with whatever comes," Postecoglou told football.london during the summer tour before asked whether it was a big difference between being a wing-back and a right-back. "Yes and no. It’s different - being right wing-back is like a winger but I try to adapt to that position but it’s still different when you are attacking, because as a right-back you have to surprise the opposition.

"You just have to get into the habit of defending. I’ve gone forward since I've been a professional so [in coming back] it's always a bit more challenging but I keep on trying."

On the inverted full-back system, he added: "It’s a different way and new ideas. I like that type of game because you can get on the ball a lot and pass it around. Still I feel comfortable working on defence which is very important and will be important going forward. Both things are important."

Both Porro and Destiny Udogie look comfortable operating centrally as inverted full-backs and Postecoglou had made it clear towards the end of that pre-season tour that he was looking to use both in the same back four, although few expected it so quickly.

"If you're asking me if those two can play at full-back, yeah absolutely. I would love them to play full-back, and the good thing is that's the profile of all our full-backs," he said then. "I love that they are all very good technically, very good going forward, that's the way we want to play. I'm excited by both of their potential."

Lots of sour grapes from Gary Neville here.
True, Pedro Porro was not rock solid in defense but he was far from shaky. In fact, as the game went on he looked more and more self assured in defense - and even though he was often left alone with Garnacho, he did well against him. And it was Pedro's first EPL game under Ange and in a defense with 2 defenders (van de Ven, Udogie - goalie Vicario) new to the EPL.

'I’m definitely not having him' Gary Neville brutally singles out Spurs player for his performance despite win

While commentating on the game for Sky Sports, he said (via TBR):

“Not having him. I’m definitely not having him. Honestly. Porro thinks he’s Rodri meets Xavi. Honestly all day long if I’m a United player pressing you want that ball played into him and it’s nearly cost them goals today.”
“It doesn’t work if you’re not comfortable enough with the ball. Udogie and Porro are doing it well in the attacking third but when it’s in the defensive half they’ve got to get out of there because it’s causing more problems.”

Surprised me with that defensive showing.

Classy player and a real goal threat. Maybe the second one after Madders that I'd want latching on to balls outside of the box. Such a clean striker of the ball.

Great to have both he and Emerson looking strong in this system.

Back
Top Bottom