Pedro Porro

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Right away Ange moved Perisic to LW. He could've done that with Porro but didn't.
I mean Perisic has never been a fullback at any point of his long career, and only functioned as a LWB in the very limited context of a dominant side in Serie A where the practical requirements of the role were hardly distinguishable from his natural position as a LW.

Porro is more of a fullback. He is nowhere near as classy on the ball or as precise in his movements as someone like Perisic. But what he does have is the ability to terrorize the top right corner of the pitch with pace and directness and dribbling at players. The system needs that and we lack it elsewhere.

He does have the ability to underlap, I'm sure he'll get an opportunity to play the inverted fullback role. But as we saw with Royal, that's a pretty unique brief. You're an out-and-out midfielder in possession, and then you have to recover to runners in behind coming from positions a defender used to playing nearer the touchline won't be used to.

Shutting down speedy wide attackers is the best part of Royal's game, and you could see how he was struggling with the weird new directions the runs were coming from. Porro is already terrible at that aspect. It's a bit scary. I kinda would like to see what he could offer if just given the mission to damn the torpedoes going forward down the flank.

He's a lot more like Jota than Zinchenko, IMO.

Can he play RCM or he isn’t refined enough on the ball for a midfielder?
Having watched him for three years I don't think that is a realistic option in my opinion. He is good on the ball but In midfield you get closed down very quickly and with his short frame I feel he would be eaten alive.

Where he flourishes is overlapping with space and taking on defenders 1 v 1. In fact if I am not mistaken he scored 2 goals for Spurs doing that exact movement, He overlapped from deep and the opposition winger did not pick him up and he finished both chances in the box.

If we go back vs Spurs in the CL in the first game he beat his man, left footed shot, wins a corner, goal.

This is Pedro Porro and it's something he has shown glimpses of in Tottenham. Like I said though, he has to learn and adapt his play-style defensively if he wants to make it here. Its why I think he is adjusting. Before he came to Sporting he was in a never ending loan cycle with City and was never able to maximize his ability. At Sporting and with Amorim he was put in a style of play that helped hide his defensive deficiencies while also maximizing his offensive capabilities.

Although I don't see it as a possibility under Ange I do think that Emerson could flourish in a RCB role next to Porro. It gives you the perfect balance needed in that set up.

There was a moment in the first half vs Barcelona, where I was surprised/impressed by his recovery speed.
He can shift. I do think he needs to improve on his defending but he seems to get punished every time a ball goes over his head. I don’t think royal is that good of a defender to think that he should play before Porro. Porro has got so much more to offer in nearly every department in my eyes. I think our fan base has been far too quick to judge him. He came into a shit show as well and still assisted 3 and scored 2 goals last season.

I mean Perisic has never been a fullback at any point of his long career, and only functioned as a LWB in the very limited context of a dominant side in Serie A where the practical requirements of the role were hardly distinguishable from his natural position as a LW.

Porro is more of a fullback. He is nowhere near as classy on the ball or as precise in his movements as someone like Perisic. But what he does have is the ability to terrorize the top right corner of the pitch with pace and directness and dribbling at players. The system needs that and we lack it elsewhere.

He does have the ability to underlap, I'm sure he'll get an opportunity to play the inverted fullback role. But as we saw with Royal, that's a pretty unique brief. You're an out-and-out midfielder in possession, and then you have to recover to runners in behind coming from positions a defender used to playing nearer the touchline won't be used to.

Shutting down speedy wide attackers is the best part of Royal's game, and you could see how he was struggling with the weird new directions the runs were coming from. Porro is already terrible at that aspect. It's a bit scary. I kinda would like to see what he could offer if just given the mission to damn the torpedoes going forward down the flank.

He's a lot more like Jota than Zinchenko, IMO.

It's an excellent point about Perisic being a winger before Conte moved him to a WB.

Royal is an ok squad player. Credit to him playing himself back into the team but he's still probably our weakest link. I know he's had a nice match at against Grealish but he also just got ripped apart by Rico Henry. He scored a lovely goal vs Brentford but you never expect him to contribute anything offensively.

Porro has the ability to beat a man 1v1, play great crosses and is a threat from distance with his shot. In Ange's system I think he'll be fine as an inverted FB because it's a fluid attacking system and he'll be making over and underlaping runs. I'm very aware of his defensive issues. Defensive awareness being the biggest one but I think this front foot pressing system will suit him better than last year when the team sat back and invited pressure.

Its a long season and I understand why Ange is starting out with Emerson. It's the safer pick, but i'm sure as it goes on, Ange will get frustrated with Emerson's limited attacking ability and Porro will get a chance. Hopefully he takes it.

There was a moment in the first half vs Barcelona, where I was surprised/impressed by his recovery speed.

Yeah he did well 1v1 vs Balde a few times. Once Porro gets shoulder to shoulder with an attacker he's ok. 1v1 in load of space is a bit scary and his overall defensive awareness like you saw on Lewandowski's goal.

Having watched him for three years I don't think that is a realistic option in my opinion. He is good on the ball but In midfield you get closed down very quickly and with his short frame I feel he would be eaten alive.

Where he flourishes is overlapping with space and taking on defenders 1 v 1. In fact if I am not mistaken he scored 2 goals for Spurs doing that exact movement, He overlapped from deep and the opposition winger did not pick him up and he finished both chances in the box.

If we go back vs Spurs in the CL in the first game he beat his man, left footed shot, wins a corner, goal.

This is Pedro Porro and it's something he has shown glimpses of in Tottenham. Like I said though, he has to learn and adapt his play-style defensively if he wants to make it here. Its why I think he is adjusting. Before he came to Sporting he was in a never ending loan cycle with City and was never able to maximize his ability. At Sporting and with Amorim he was put in a style of play that helped hide his defensive deficiencies while also maximizing his offensive capabilities.

Although I don't see it as a possibility under Ange I do think that Emerson could flourish in a RCB role next to Porro. It gives you the perfect balance needed in that set up.
Thanks for the input

Do you think there’s a chance he could become a top Premier League RB?

What would he need to improve on?

Thanks for the input

Do you think there’s a chance he could become a top Premier League RB?

What would he need to improve on?
I believe Porro has all the tools to be a top RB in England. He has shown both in CL and in the premier league that offensively he can make it. He has the physical and technical abilities needed to succeed in that role and additionally he clearly has end product in his game. The fact he is so comfortable on the ball means that Spurs get an additional attacking option when they are playing against low block teams, this helps to create the mismatch needed. For example when comparing him to Nuno Mendes who was his wingback partner in 2020-2021 they are both similar in that they are a massive threat going forward due to their ability on the ball, however Porro was always the player that had a better end product between the two BUT Mendes was undoubtedly better defensively which in turn made him the complete package. Its not a surprise Mendes then went to PSG and became Young player of the year their as well.

This is where Porro future lies, can he become a consistent defender in the premier league? That is going o make or break his career at this level. It won't matter how good he is offensively if he is a constant liability on the defensive end of the ball. The key thing for him to work on in my opinion is actually his positioning. I am not worried about his on the ball defensive capabilities. He has show he is more then adequate in that part of his game. His issues at Spurs is once again, he was so used to the Sporting way that he would bomb up the field waiting for the outlet pass only for Spurs to lose the ball and now he is caught up the pitch while the right side of the spurs defense is left wide open.

Just remember Pedro Porro is only 23 years of age and with half a season of EPL football under his legs. Give him time and I believe the fans will be satisfied with him.

Still way too sloppy in possession, particularly close to the box, but he had a good game otherwise. Stopping Rashford 1-on-1 was a high point defensively.

As others have said, got better as the game went on, but what encouraged me is his attitude. Didn’t start last week but was clearly up for it. Even when subbed, you could see the COYS.:ange-clap:

Back
Top Bottom