Pelé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan
I'm not here to amuse you, Stevie

No you're not.

You're only here to troll for your own amusement.

It's very predictable and extremely boring.
All I did was express my surprise and disgust at the linking of a racist like Geoff Hurst with Pele. I mean, what a fucked up obituary that is. It's right to condemn the BBC for that.

This pile-on I've received from the forum's far right is concerning.

Admin Admin - Any chance to can clean this thread up and shift all the shite to the 'Clutter' thread?

Binning off fake Jimmy Crankie would be a bonus.

Thanks.

All I did was express my surprise and disgust at the linking of a racist like Geoff Hurst with Pele. I mean, what a fucked up obituary that is. It's right to condemn the BBC for that.

This pile-on I've received from the forum's far right is concerning.
It might have been better if you'd have posted your criticism of the BBC here, in the BBC thread - https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/bbc-how-do-you-want-your-bbc.14888/ - rather than mess up people's tributes to Pele.

It might have been better if you'd have posted your criticism of the BBC here, in the BBC thread - https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/bbc-how-do-you-want-your-bbc.14888/ - rather than mess up people's tributes to Pele.
My original post on the matter was in no way controversial, unless one is a racist English nationalist. But I concede, as you say, and because the forum has that particular element, that perhaps I should filter my comments to account for far right outrage.

My original post on the matter was in no way controversial, unless one is a racist English nationalist. But I concede, as you say, and because the forum has that particular element, that perhaps I should filter my comments to account for far right outrage.
I'm a leftie.

The day in 1966 I gave Pele and eight Brazil team-mates a lift in my Ford Consul​

The gift of Pele was not only his competitive achievements, but communicating happiness – a simple collective joy

DAVID MILLER Telegraph

Brazil were bullied out of the 1966 World Cup but were still irrepressibly buoyant -

Mournfully, illness has taken from us a symbolic representative of the joy of life. That was the gift of Pele, whose sporting ambition, globally acclaimed, was not competitive triumph but happiness, simple collective joy. Brazilians, uniquely, possess a rare instinct for communal celebration, come what deprivation may: witness their annual Carnaval. I had unusual evidence of this characteristic in 1966.
Literally kicked out in the first round of the World Cup in England by contemptuous Bulgaria and Portugal, Pele shamelessly targeted, the squad was pre-booked at Crystal Palace sporting centre for the second round. But they were now scheduled to fly home that evening and I was busy seeking reaction for The Telegraph from an assaulted legend. Dismayed, but, as twice champions, irrepressibly buoyant, they were all intent on fun for a few hours.
So let’s rip. Nine of them piled into my Ford Consul: two on the front bench seat with me, three rear seat with a colleague on each lap, one in the flap-free boot, and off to Leicester Square. I assumed they all caught the plane some hours later.Pele was target No 1 for opponents Bulgaria in 1966 and Brazil was handed a brutal early-stage exit, Pele had remained sanguine, articulate, a modest millionaire Einstein of the game, insisting: “I don’t dwell on victory or defeat, I just play.” And how! He would establish statistics – goals for club or country, total matches, sorties as captain – that only Lionel Messi of Argentina would equal or surpass 40 years later.
We in England cherish an iconic goal by Paul Gascoigne against Scotland in Euro 96, lobbing a defender and thrashing home the dropping ball. Pele had not merely done this, more eloquently, as a 17-year-old novice in the World Cup final of 1958 against Sweden, but would attempt or emulate similar feats several times every match every week for Santos or Brazil for the next 12 years, prior to evergreen "retirement" with New York Cosmos, never having sought a transfer.
Before Chile 1962, I went to analyse Brazil’s preparation in friendlies against Wales – previous quarter-finalists – in Rio and Sao Paulo: each a bejewelled 3-1 saunter. Legendary Jack Kelsey of Woolwich reflected: “As a keeper, you are best placed to judge the opposition’s scoring chances, say five or six. In both games, Pele’s astonishing influence created at least 15.”
Before 1966, Pele had already become alarmed at tactical negativity alongside referees’ and Fifa’s supervisory negligence – which would subsequently brutalise the genius of Diego Maradona. Pele vainly protested to me in the wake of his injury: “Only by allowing the other team to attack can you do so yourself.”
Ultimate fulfilment arrived in Mexico 1970 with Brazil’s exemplary lesson for arch defenders Italy, Pele definitive orchestrator of Gerson and Rivellino in midfield, of Jairzinho and Tostao in attack: notwithstanding Gordon Banks’ "save of the century" during Brazil’s lone-goal first-round victory against equal potential champions.
If that final victory was a hallmark of Pele’s unsurpassed chandelier artistry, his assessment of Brazil’s "second best performance" precisely defines his and the Brazilian concept. “In Spain ’82, we believed as ever in the big moment – Falco, Socrates and Zico attacking Italy full steam when our 2-2 score was sufficient for the semi-final – and Rossi hits a hat-trick!”
In my last interview with him, before France’s unpredicted final defeat of Brazil in Paris 98, Pele railed against the emptiness of Brazil’s US ’94 penalty shoot-out triumph: a TV-convenient, controversial law wholly disregarding the previous 120 minutes' play.
“The award should be determined by total tournament goal aggregate,” Pele asserted, “to encourage adventure in every round.”
What would that perceptive idol think of today’s 11-man defensive, incessant passing backwards to retain possession?

*********************************************************************************************

What a fabulous idea - no more lotteries via penalty shootouts, but a method of determining a winner who played the best football.

In the case of it being tied still - then it should go to 7 a side, from the remaining 11's and a golden goal

Back
Top Bottom