Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What?
Seriously?

I was looking at the game and saw him (+poor conversion rate) as one of the main reasons why we failed to break down Burnely.
Whenever he was on the ball he took too much time.
When he had room to move upfield with the ball, he did not take it.
When there was pass that could release someone in advanced position - he was afraid to try it.
Number of times he passed the ball into absurd situation - like when 2 Burnley players were already on back of Kane, one already preparing to jump from behind Kane to intercept the ball - and he still put pass there.
Not to mention when he passed the ball without any slightest of pressure straight to Burnley midfielder.

I still think that he is very valuable for us in the game like NLD - he mopped up well and did the easy passing well. And in games against likes of Burnley, maybe he would be better if he would be paired up with better passing CM. But yesterday he was too slow to move the ball into right areas in right time.
Isn’t that what bent is meant to offer? Bent is good but I think his been training too much with winks and mason. I liked it when zipped first time balls “round the corner” which really bypasses any press and doesn’t let the oppo get back into shape. At the moment both him and PEH sometimes take too many touches or just simply pass back to defender who gave them the ball initially and everything then slows down.

Those 3 would turn us into real challengers. We need proven EPL players. I think bent has a glass ceiling in terms of his effectiveness. PEH if used properly is great at winning 2nd ball. Do along side someone who sits deeper like skipp or Phillips he is ideal then add some stardust in there like Erickson we could do some biz. Up top quality forward addition in the son mould. Sell Lucas keep berg as he is young and can be useful in cup games and rotation with son/Kane/3rd forward.
All if we go with 3 in midfield. Erickson and kulu for that spot. Skipp PEH bent and either Phillips or Biss in CM gives enough cover plus the young HG players like Alfie and Harvey. We need quality not just qty.

Evidently you don't understand the meaning of the phrase "glass ceiling".

Pierre was good. Bentancur was good. Sessegnon was good. The entire team should be commended for soldiering through the game on such a short turnover from the NLD.

People wanting to constantly play players against each other are just silly.

Pierre was good. Bentancur was good. Sessegnon was good. The entire team should be commended for soldiering through the game on such a short turnover from the NLD.

People wanting to constantly play players against each other are just silly.
I'm Hojbjergs biggest fan on here but I wouldn't say he was good against Burnley tbh. Played well vs Gooner scum but yesterday not so good.

Isn’t that what bent is meant to offer? Bent is good but I think his been training too much with winks and mason. I liked it when zipped first time balls “round the corner” which really bypasses any press and doesn’t let the oppo get back into shape. At the moment both him and PEH sometimes take too many touches or just simply pass back to defender who gave them the ball initially and everything then slows down.

No.

In my view in modern football (and our level) there is just no room for midfield or attacking players who do not exploit the room that opposition team gifts. If PEH had 20+ meters of open water in front of him and even no defender sprinting towards him, then I would like him to use this room at least until one defender steps out of the line.

Okay, I understand that my explanation might have not been the best. But what I mean is - even players who are mainly meant to break up play and keep the passes simple are doing and expected to be doing more. Just look Kante as an example. Look how he moves with the ball as well. Such all-around ability helps the team a lot. If you have someone who takes ages to turn and is too conservative to move the ball upfield - it will just cost you precious seconds. And gives defending team those seconds to put up the lines. It might not be an issue in openish game like NLD but against Burnley PEH slowness in the ball hurt us in my view.

He has now played 100 games in just two seasons. He's only missed 191 out of 6750 possible minutes of game time.

Those are some bonkers numbers when you consider that he has only been here for two years.

He has now played 100 games in just two seasons. He's only missed 191 out of 6750 possible minutes of game time.

Those are some bonkers numbers when you consider that he has only been here for two years.

Very few players regularly average playing 50 games a season - which is what those numbers mean.

So whilst he may not be the most 'sexy' player essentially doing a DM role (and DM's are the CM's who break up opposition play, they are NOT creators which can almost never be accommodated in a CM2), he's certainly one not to discard ..... especially this summer where we have a lot of other positions to fill

Very few players regularly average playing 50 games a season - which is what those numbers mean.

So whilst he may not be the most 'sexy' player essentially doing a DM role (and DM's are the CM's who break up opposition play, they are NOT creators which can almost never be accommodated in a CM2), he's certainly one not to discard ..... especially this summer where we have a lot of other positions to fill
its funny look at inaki williams numbers

its funny look at inaki williams numbers

I know Williams played something like 200 consecutive matches in Spanish league, which is a great record ...... but that's a far less physical league and outside the top half dozen clubs the quality drops off so matches are far less competitive.

I think the way to look at it is there is a reason why there are 25 man squads ..... and that's injuries and rotation are part of the modern game !

He's good at winning the ball. Highly limited in what he does once he has it.

I feel like most of our fans know this, right?

I would think so, I don’t subscribe to the view we should sell him though as some do, he rarely gets injured and always puts in 100%. Even if we upgrade him like Milner or Henderson at Liverpool with their limitations they provide good solid depth. We need more than just a good first 11.

He's good at winning the ball. Highly limited in what he does once he has it.

I feel like most of our fans know this, right?
He's got good ideas in the final third, if he could actually execute, he'd be really really good. His missed header against Liverpool is very typical of his play in the final third.

Always there to support the attack, but usually amounts to fuck all.

I've been vocal and clear on this and on Hojbjerg since Jose. Of course you don't sell him but he needs to become first defensive option off bench not the starting eleven. Then you will actually see the very best PEH possible. He lacks mobility which when played without rotation gets exposed. He had a great game against the Arse a man bullying kids.

Don't really understand the obsession with deciding who is first XI and who isn't. Surely the idea when competing on multiple fronts is to build a squad that has 4 or 5 CMs with different skills for different needs? Between PEH, Skipp, Bentancur, a creative midfielder and maybe one other you should be able to cover 2 and 3 men central midfields vs all types of opponents covering 50-60 games over the course of a season.

Don't really understand the obsession with deciding who is first XI and who isn't. Surely the idea when competing on multiple fronts is to build a squad that has 4 or 5 CMs with different skills for different needs? Between PEH, Skipp, Bentancur, a creative midfielder and maybe one other you should be able to cover 2 and 3 men central midfields vs all types of opponents covering 50-60 games over the course of a season.
Liverpool's front 5 is a great example of this. Firmino is usually benched but now that Jota is a bit off form he's back in the starting line up and doing well.

When mane/salah is having an off day Diaz comes and adds a lot to the game.

Any one of them is worthy of starting against most teams in the league.

We need that.

Back
Top Bottom