Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

:levystare:

Lol at you's too.
We used to have something like that with Davies/Rose and Trippier/Walker. Either fullback on both side was capable of starting big games and doing well.

Davies started a lot when Rose got injured and was part of a team that regularly finished top 4 and went to a CL final. Same with Trippier.

He is high up due to the number of minutes played. In terms of per 90 minutes, hes not in the top 50.

You don't think Rice, JWP & Rodri have been ever present for their teams? :roseunsure:

Facts:

Rice: 35 EPL apps - 3088mins.
JWP: 35 EPL apps - 3127mins.
Rodri: 32 EPL apps - 2798mins.

PEH: 35 EPL apps - 3109mins

Last edited:
We used to have something like that with Davies/Rose and Trippier/Walker. Either fullback on both side was capable of starting big games and doing well.

Davies started a lot when Rose got injured and was part of a team that regularly finished top 4 and went to a CL final. Same with Trippier.

Sanchez / Foyth was a similar plan, but they never stepped up in the longer term as hoped(*).

(*Poch's poor man-management of Dav didn't help.)

Son/Lucas/Lamela + Llorent(**) or Jansen(***) in support of Dele / Eriksen / Kane also.

(**Who'd just bagged 14 for a shit Swansea)
(***Who'd just bagged 22 in the Eredivise)

You don't think Rice, JWP & Rodri have been ever present for their teams? :roseunsure:
Rodri: 2.798 mins = 10mins/tackle
PEH: 3.109 mins = 11mins/tackle
JWP: 3.127 mins = 12mins/tackle
Rice: 3.088 mins = 11mins/tackle

So fairly similar, worth pointing out that Rodri is rounded up to 10, while the others are rounded down to 11/12.

Also have to adjust for possession and playstyle. Spurs and Spam probably the most similar with medium level of possession and pressing, while City and Southampton press like mad and try to have high possession.

I don't give these numbers too much weight tbh, but if they're right then PEH seems like the weakest of the lot overall. Rodri, JWP, and Rice do a LOT more than him besides tackling.

I assumed JWP would be crap at tackling, but if they're actually similar defensively, you'd surely take him over PEH for his set pieces?

Sanchez / Foyth was a similar plan, but they never stepped up in the longer term as hoped(*).

(*Poch's poor man-management of Dav didn't help.)

Son/Lucas/Lamela + Llorent(**) or Jansen(***) in support of Dele / Eriksen / Kane also.

(**Who'd just bagged 14 for a shit Swansea)
(***Who'd just bagged 22 in the Eredivise)
Yeah, Trippier and Davies were also dirt cheap (3 to 5m range IIRC). So it doesn't have to be an expensive signing.

Dier also used to be great utility player in midfield/CB/RB. Also for about 5m.

Rodri: 2.798 mins = 10mins/tackle
PEH: 3.109 mins = 11mins/tackle
JWP: 3.127 mins = 12mins/tackle
Rice: 3.088 mins = 11mins/tackle

So fairly similar, worth pointing out that Rodri is rounded up to 10, while the others are rounded down to 11/12.

Also have to adjust for possession and playstyle. Spurs and Spam probably the most similar with medium level of possession and pressing, while City and Southampton press like mad and try to have high possession.

I don't give these numbers too much weight tbh, but if they're right then PEH seems like the weakest of the lot overall. Rodri, JWP, and Rice do a LOT more than him besides tackling.

Sure; these stats alone don't establish who's the best MF... Far from it.

I assumed JWP would be crap at tackling, but if they're actually similar defensively, you'd surely take him over PEH for his set pieces?

JWP simply isn't worth the money S'oton would want. He's also taken his entire career to get to this level (27 yo)... A couple of season's ago he wouldn't have got a sniff in a bigger team.

JWP simply isn't worth the money S'oton would want. He's also taken his entire career to get to this level (27 yo)... A couple of season's ago he wouldn't have got a sniff in a bigger team
Sure, I'd not take him for the price they'd sell at right now, but I suppose in hindsight, you'd rather have bought him when we got PEH. Though we only got PEH cos of the expiring contract.

Sure, I'd not take him for the price they'd sell at right now, but I suppose in hindsight, you'd rather have bought him when we got PEH. Though we only got PEH cos of the expiring contract.

........And up until then PEH was keeping the armband from the older, HG boy JWP.

He's been a tidy, yet lightweight nothing player for years. It's only now he's started to play like a man.

Where you getting your 'facts' from?

Igula Igula got a stats site all of a sudden?

You literally just hit agree on a post that concurs with my post.
Kaneisable said peh is the weakest of them all, which was agreeable.

For per 90 minutes, whoscored does a good job of showing raw stats. PEH is 133rd in the list for successful tackles per 90. Although if we limit it to only players who have played at least half the number of matches, then he is 61st. Romero ranks much higher from our team. And it goes with the eye test too, we can all see Romero actively tries to win the ball all the time.

For per 90 minutes, whoscored does a good job of showing raw stats. PEH is 133rd in the list for successful tackles per 90. Although if we limit it to only players who have played at least half the number of matches, then he is 61st. Romero ranks much higher from our team. And it goes with the eye test too, we can all see Romero actively tries to win the ball all the time.

So the EPL number above are just lies then? :kanehand:

You said: "He is high up due to the number of minutes played."

Per 90 he's on par with the other lads in that tweet.

Last edited:

I thought this was just about midfielders though?
I’d expect defenders to have more

Ahhhh. so that's what's distorting things....

TBH, I'd expect defenders to make more tackles/blocks, but it's obvious the OG tweet above is comparing MFs like for like.

TBH, I'd expect defenders to make more tackles/blocks, but it's obvious the OG tweet above is comparing MFs like for like.

Midfielders & fullbacks tend to make more tackles. The former because they're in a more congested area of the field so more 'active', and the latter because they face more 1v1 situations than centre backs. Some centre backs do get a lot of tackles in, but they're generally the more aggressive 'stopper' type - see Salisu or Romero.

It is so risky for CBs to be tackling. Its mainly a midfielders job. If the stats are filtered so that only players who have played at least 10 matches are included, top 10 for tackling this season are all midfielders and a few fullbacks and still hojberg is out of the top 50 in that.

It is so risky for CBs to be tackling. Its mainly a midfielders job. If the stats are filtered so that only players who have played at least 10 matches are included, top 10 for tackling this season are all midfielders and a few fullbacks.

Apart from Salisu!

Who I actually like, quite a lot. But he's very rough around the edges/rash so makes up for it with tackles at times.

Back
Top Bottom