Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Barrios was a 13.5million transfer that we seemed all set to go through with and then......we "watched" and Zenit pounced.

The difference Barrios would make to this team and is a better fit that Hojbjerg.
I really wanted him after the World Cup. I think he is more Scott Parker than Dembele though.

Pretty much 100%.

Bloke was the bo!!ocks and whilst replacing him.would have been exceptionally hard, to misjudge it so badly was really short sighted.

Symptomatic really of us always falling short at the wrong moment.

I don't think anyone could have predicted that Ndombele was made of glass.

We sold ourselves short in Jan by not replacing him then but his legs were gone and I'm skeptical as to the extent to which he would have helped in the run in. We will never know.

Ndombele was then signed in the summer and expected to be that player that could take the ball off the defence, be press resistant and pick a pass.

He has shown that he has real quality but his fitness simply isn't there and I don't know if it ever will be.

So I don't agree that we never replaced him or at least tried to. We broke our club record to sign one of Europe's hottest properties in central midfield. The misjudgment has to rest with our scouting/medical team who failed to spot that the bloke can barely move.

This clearly is a key purchase for Jose and once done will be the basis for the rest of the purchases.
If we don't get him, I'm not sure who is next on the list ?
We need to get one or two done early and then wait for deadline day to sign Kim

This clearly is a key purchase for Jose and once done will be the basis for the rest of the purchases.
If we don't get him, I'm not sure who is next on the list ?
We need to get one or two done early and then wait for deadline day to sign Kim

With a limited budget there aren't many options - if Hojbjerg had longer on his contract he would be out of reach as well

This is as underwhelming a highlights reel as you'll find on the information superhighway...

He looks solid defensively. Anticipates trouble and clears it without slide tackles or having to be overly aggressive. It screams “I’ve got this under control” to me. Good timing, good anticipation, good tackling technique.

I have to admit that I absolutely abhor slide tackles, especially the fancy ones, as it typically means the player was caught out of position (not good for a CDM or CB) or has difficulty timing the tackle. It leaves the defender exposed if he doesn’t get the ball - beaten, yellow card, or free kick. Sometimes a good slide tackle is necessary, but all things being equal a highlight reel full of them is a red flag to me.

He looks solid defensively. Anticipates trouble and clears it without slide tackles or having to be overly aggressive. It screams “I’ve got this under control” to me. Good timing, good anticipation, good tackling technique.

I have to admit that I absolutely abhor slide tackles, especially the fancy ones, as it typically means the player was caught out of position (not good for a CDM or CB) or has difficulty timing the tackle. It leaves the defender exposed if he doesn’t get the ball - beaten, yellow card, or free kick. Sometimes a good slide tackle is necessary, but all things being equal a highlight reel full of them is a red flag to me.

not a Granit Xhaka fan then?

I don't think anyone could have predicted that Ndombele was made of glass.

We sold ourselves short in Jan by not replacing him then but his legs were gone and I'm skeptical as to the extent to which he would have helped in the run in. We will never know.

Ndombele was then signed in the summer and expected to be that player that could take the ball off the defence, be press resistant and pick a pass.

He has shown that he has real quality but his fitness simply isn't there and I don't know if it ever will be.

So I don't agree that we never replaced him or at least tried to. We broke our club record to sign one of Europe's hottest properties in central midfield. The misjudgment has to rest with our scouting/medical team who failed to spot that the bloke can barely move.
I suspect that a lot of Ndombele's fitness issues have more to do with us than him. We habitually struggle to keep players healthy and have for years. At some point we've got to stop cursing all these fragile footballers we keep getting saddled with and look in the mirror.

so excited with this one.
Me too!

ron-swanson-is-excited.gif

Back
Top Bottom