Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Had a really good game today. I still think he needs a defensive partner in there though to get the most out of his game.
I actually thought he doesn’t need a defensive partner, but he needs to continue to be the defensive partner to the more offensive Ndombele/Lo Celso.

He was fantastic in the more defensive role today, his positioning was so spot on throughout, he sometimes sat deep to make is look like 3 at the back at some points.

What I really don’t want to see is him being partnered with Winks -the few games where they played together made us look like our midfield last year.

He is not the modern DM like Wanyama. It's the classic midfield general role in double pivot. Hate to say it, but he's like young Roy Keane. Boss the midfield in a very different way than just recycling possession, or running around winning every ball. He exert his presence in midfield, even not in possession.

Last edited:
Pierre really impressed today, what I like about him - he actually looks up and delivers - some great forward balls. He looked like the player we have been crying out for.

I dont watch enough football to know much about players from other clubs so knew next to nothing about him when we signed him. After the Everton game I must admit I was thinking to myself what on earth have we signed this guy for. However since then he seems to have settled in brilliantly. Compeltely controlled things in the middle for us and the pass for Auriers goal was fantastic. Thing I liked the most though was that in about the 90th minute he was all over McTominay like a rash. Like someone said a few posts back he was reminiscent of Scott Parker today.

Weren’t Saints fans banging on about he wasn’t a good passer when we were about to sign him?

Of our recent CDMs (Palacios, Parker, Sandro, Wanyama, etc) he certainly looks the best passing the ball so far. He isn’t Pirlo, but he does pretty well distributing and that one touch assist today was :ledleylick:

It's all about the team game, when like today we're on the front foot he is the perfect midfield player, harrying the opposition midfield all over the centre of the pitch and seeing more of the ball than any other player, not only that he showed that he has an eye for a key pass as well.

What he's not is a DM sitting deep and covering the back four, whilst he was the deepest of our central three he still got forward both when pressing and attacking, and that's fine getting stuck in is his strength.

Despite Jose's well earned reputation as a defensive minded manager, Aurier over Doherty yesterday, this team is going to be on the front foot in almost every game we play, we will want a midfield three who link up with our strikers, so playing an out and our DM is probably a position we can live without ....

Hojbjerg, Sissoko, Ndombele, LoCelso will all just need to step up their defensive work when needed.

PEH was great today. Defo don't play winks with him. Tackles all over the place and a defense splitting pass for an assist are qualities that winks doesn't have. PEH playing like this will keep winks out of the team. He was a beast today, long may it continue 🙏

PEH was great today. Defo don't play winks with him. Tackles all over the place and a defense splitting pass for an assist are qualities that winks doesn't have. PEH playing like this will keep winks out of the team. He was a beast today, long may it continue 🙏
I'm sure Winks will come back in to play with PEH but he needs to let PEH be the last man and get himself further up the pitch to receive the ball and progress it forward. We don't need 2 of them sat in front of the back 4 passing it to each other which has happened in games this season.

I'm sure Winks will come back in to play with PEH but he needs to let PEH be the last man and get himself further up the pitch to receive the ball and progress it forward. We don't need 2 of them sat in front of the back 4 passing it to each other which has happened in games this season.

PEH doesn't 'sit in front of the back 4 passing it to each other' his game is all about dominating the opposing midfield by being in their face. Winks doesn't have that in his game at the moment, he is the player who sits in and just passes it around (which he does well) problem for Winks is we are going to play with a front-foot midfield comprising three from PEH, Sissoko, LoCelso, Ndombele they are all players who are aggressive in their defending. There is certainly a place for Winks in games where we will have 75% possession and just recycling the ball to the creative front five is all that's needed ... away at Man Utd maybe not, but home to Newcastle yup Winks has a role to play and remember he's still only 24.

It's a squad game, of course Winks will get games and he should, he's a very useful squad player and he doesn't hide from the ball. Jose is still working his midfield out, sometimes he'll play two sitters sometimes just PEH - Winks can just play a bit further forward as an 8.

We didn't need 2 sitters against Newcastle but I think Jose was worried about the counter attack - that wasn't Winks fault and let's be honest with our shooting boots on we would've been out of sight long before the daft pen at the end.

Great today from PEH, long may it continue.

Back
Top Bottom