Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
The top sends a message that top four is our minimum requirement and that anything else is a bonus and anything less a failure. I am sure they would be more than happy with a title success.
Exactly, a bonus not our main objective. You aren't going to win the big ones regularly by making top 4 your main objective & anything more a bonus. Just 1 off flukes like Leicester.

Exactly, a bonus not our main objective. You aren't going to win the big ones regularly by making top 4 your main objective & anything more a bonus. Just 1 off flukes like Leicester.
Nope...big difference between minimum requirement and main objective and therein lies the danger. If the manager and squad knows our minimum requirement is top four then once we are mathematically assured of that spot the foot comes off the pedal. If the club all works to a main objective of winning the title and we succeed then a top four spot is a natural by product of such ambition.
Make top four your main objective and I can almost guarantee you that the club will finish in 4th spot because the squad will see that as crossing the winning line. Never settle for less than is within your capabilities. :thumbup:

It might be a write off season. But the 1 good bit will be we can relax knowing we have nothing to play for. Instead of every match being vital for top 4.
A season in mid table might also see us lose a few of those so called fans that support the owners rather than the team and the manager.

No bad thing. Sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Last edited:
What's the matter with instead of top four...top one ?? isn't that what we should be aiming for ? Yes you can have realistic targets but whatever happened to dreams...don't deny anybody their dreams :thumbup:
Spurs have got to be the best in the land, not the second best

Probably my favourite Bill Nicholson quote.

It seems to me that Poch feels the same way. He wants his team to be the best, and when he gets within touching distance, instead of giving him that extra support the board look at the balance sheet and and show their true colours.

Such a shame

We’re like Woolwich a few years ago and I never thought that I would ever say that
difference is , Baz, is that they fell down to that position. we have just climbed up to it
there have been other clubs that have had two or 3 years in the champions league and blown it.
If we have to consolidate i dont see an issue

A season in mid table might also see us lose a few of those so called fans that support the owners rather than the team and the manager.

No bad thing. Sort the wheat fron the chaff, so to speak.

A season in mid table might also make our manager think that after six years not a lot of real progress has been made and that he can offer no more. I don't support the owners any more than I support the manager or the players. I give my undying support to the entity that is Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and anyone who is directly involved in it's running, from dinner lady to Chairman.

Please don't insinuate there are separate factions of fans who believe in the owners but not Poch or the players. You have to believe in the total jigsaw picture and not various pieces that make up it's whole. If Poch left tomorrow would our fan base decrease ? I think not, we follow the club. If half the first team (including Harry Kane) put in transfer requests in the morning would I love this club any less ?....No. You have to keep a perspective and I would still be shouting Come On You Spurs if we were playing conference league football.

Individuals, regardless of how they are involved in the club will ultimately leave, the man with the scythe will guarantee that. What is more important is that this club and the values it holds and treasures will survive.

It seems to me that Poch feels the same way. He wants his team to be the best, and when he gets within touching distance, instead of giving him that extra support the board look at the balance sheet and and show their true colours.

Such a shame
I agree with you to a great extent but let me just say this. When the team ran out for the CL final against Liverpool no amount of extra support or money would alter a thing. They had achieved a dream opportunity to win the biggest trophy in Europe with the existing squad. Ninety minutes from immortality.
Yes the penalty hurt but please, please don't tell me that Poch's initial team selection and subsequent substitutions didn't hurt us more.
Last season we reached and lost a Champions League Final....the finger cannot be pointed at the board for that.

I agree with you to a great extent but let me just say this. When the team ran out for the CL final against Liverpool no amount of extra support or money would alter a thing. They had achieved a dream opportunity to win the biggest trophy in Europe with the existing squad. Ninety minutes from immortality.
Yes the penalty hurt but please, please don't tell me that Poch's initial team selection and subsequent substitutions didn't hurt us more.
Last season we reached and lost a Champions League Final....the finger cannot be pointed at the board for that.

I’d agree with all of that if I was convinced that Poch was totally in control of team selection for that major cup final. I firmly believe he was not in full control; I also think key players were aware that he wasn’t and it showed in their attitude from start to end of the match. Did he not state “!I am not the manager - I am the coach”.

Excuse me - POCH-OUT!

Such a shame
Levy doesn't think like that he would say "spurs must have the best bank balance in the country"

Nope...big difference between minimum requirement and main objective and therein lies the danger. If the manager and squad knows our minimum requirement is top four then once we are mathematically assured of that spot the foot comes off the pedal. If the club all works to a main objective of winning the title and we succeed then a top four spot is a natural by product of such ambition.
Make top four your main objective and I can almost guarantee you that the club will finish in 4th spot because the squad will see that as crossing the winning line. Never settle for less than is within your capabilities. :thumbup:
Good post. But I think deep down they all know we aren't good enough to finish ahead of Liverpool & city. There is only so much deluding you can do to yourself.

difference is , Baz, is that they fell down to that position. we have just climbed up to it
there have been other clubs that have had two or 3 years in the champions league and blown it.
If we have to consolidate i dont see an issue

Yes I see what you mean and I do hope that Poch can turn it round if he wants to that is

I’d agree with all of that if I was convinced that Poch was totally in control of team selection for that major cup final. I firmly believe he was not in full control; I also think key players were aware that he wasn’t and it showed in their attitude from start to end of the match. Did he not state “!I am not the manager - I am the coach”.

Excuse me - POCH-OUT!

Ok assuming you’re right
Who was in control?
Levy?

Such a shame

My favourite quote from the great man also

Ok assuming you’re right
Who was in control?
Levy?

I have never claimed to know who was in control; I merely went and still stand by my own gut instinct based on what I saw going on that day; what I saw during that major ECL cup final. Deli, didn’t give a fuck and it showed - just one of many stand-outs because the boys got major attitude issues and doesn’t hide his thoughts.

The who question is a nothing question because you’ll never know the answer. Who made Ronaldo play the 1998 World Cup final despite him being dropped due to illness three hours earlier? Well it wasn’t me.

I think it is more poignant to ask why Poch stated “ I am not the manager, I am the coach!”.

That comment fucking SAY’s IT ALL!

I have never claimed to know who was in control; I merely went and still stand by my own gut instinct based on what I saw going on that day; what I saw during that major ECL cup final. Deli, didn’t give a fuck and it showed - just one of many stand-outs because the boys got major attitude issues and doesn’t hide his thoughts.

The who question is a nothing question because you’ll never know the answer. Who made Ronaldo play the 1998 World Cup final despite him being dropped due to illness three hours earlier? Well it wasn’t me.

I think it is more poignant to ask why Poch stated “ I am not the manager, I am the coach!”.

That comment fucking SAY’s IT ALL!

I only asked mate!!

Answer could be Levy or it could even be Harry now pulling the shots?

Whoever made the decision to play a clearly unfit Harry?

I agree that Deli didn’t do much anymore than CE

Ref certainly did enough to ensure a Dipper win though

Back
Top Bottom