Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Very defensive manager. Brexit Mourinho. Won't work.

to be fair to Dyche, how else do you expect Burnley to play lol. Have you seen the money (or lack of) they’ve spent over the years. On that basis he’d be a perfect fit for Levy lol

Burnley’s main goal is to stay in the premier league.

I don't know if they have inside info, or if they can deduce what's going on by analysing any unusual betting patterns.
But if Nuno is the favourite for the job, and they put him at 12/1, that is NOT self preservation. If they kept giving 12/1 odds on events that are likely to happen, they would become financially bankrupt very quickly.
So I think it is a fair conclusion that Nuno is no longer favourite for the job, as BBC reported last week.

Betting odds for managers are sometimes useful and sometimes not.
It's certainly not useful when trying to ascertain who IS favourite for the position. For example, SkyBet could put Martinez at 1/5 now, and even if they are wrong about him being appointed, they would barely lose any money.

Nuno isnt the favourite, thats why he's at 12/1.

If money started going on him, it might indicate something is happening with him (to the bookie) so they shorten the odds to prevent any potential loses.

They dont know a thing about what is/isnt likely with him. They only react to the data they have - where people put their money.

They'll add names as reported, to encourage betting. Then just react to the betting patterns as they occur.

Simple as that really.

Fuck gary lineker is boiling my piss. Takes the piss out of us constantly but was happy to take wages off us the big eared smug wanker. Love to slap him around
No he doesn't. He calls it for what it is.
And I wish more would do the same.

Whenever any ex player points out our shortcomings they get pissed on. Lineker, Hoddle, Jenas.....

It's pathetic

to be fair to Dyche, how else do you expect Burnley to play lol. Have you seen the money (or lack of) they’ve spent over the years. On that basis he’d be a perfect fit for Levy lol

Burnley’s main goal is to stay in the premier league.

This is where the Moyes comparison also stands, for me.

Hes managed Burnley since 2012 (Moyes was at Everton 11 years was it?).

In either case, regardless of budget, thats more than enough time to develop a team to play how you want them too.

Which is essentially what I conclude has happened, how Everon played, how Burnley play, is by design - its what the manager wants.

They dont know a thing about what is/isnt likely with him. They only react to the data they have - where people put their money.
Why is the the 'only' data they have? Maybe they also use journalists who have info.
Nuno changed from 4/9 to 11/10 to 12/1 in the past 2 days. How could that be explained only by betting patterns?
You think loads of people put lots of money on the other candidates suddenly, even though there's barely been any news in the past 2 days? That makes no sense.

This is where the Moyes comparison also stands, for me.

Hes managed Burnley since 2012 (Moyes was at Everton 11 years was it?).

In either case, regardless of budget, thats more than enough time to develop a team to play how you want them too.

Which is essentially what I conclude has happened, how Everon played, how Burnley play, is by design - its what the manager wants.

what’s wrong with Moyes?

Sean Dyche is extremely underrated and needs to take that’s step up in club level. Wish spurs would take a punt on him because I genuinely believe under the right circumstances, with a bigger transfer budget and better squad SD can do good things
Dyche has maximized the success you can have playing that kind of football. There would be no point to giving him better players, the talent can’t show playing like that.

Fair play to him as he’s a great coach, but he’s where he belongs.

Why is the the 'only' data they have? Maybe they also use journalists who have info.
Nuno changed from 4/9 to 11/10 to 12/1 in the past 2 days. How could that be explained only by betting patterns?
You think loads of people put lots of money on the other candidates suddenly, even though there's barely been any news in the past 2 days? That makes no sense.

You and your journalists...

Why would they trust journalists? With money on the line lets be blunt - they wont.

With Nuno I think the papers said he was off to Fenebache and so people stopped betting on him, allows the bookies to let the odds increase again - hope to get some suckers who think they know better to put money on it at more enticing odds.

And guess what? If any substantial amount does go on - those odds will shorten.

It will be entirely data driven, I bet there is very little human interaction to it.

what’s wrong with Moyes?
He's shit 😁

I'd rather Martinez than Gerrard, don't think he is good enough but I think he uses a back 3 to cover the fact with a 4 he can't get players to defend, did a very good job at Wigan to be fair but took shit like Antolin Alcaraz with him to Everton

A new name enters the fray.

I cannot see any Premier League club gamble on him after the Palace debacle. But to be fair to him his football with the Netherlands was very enjoyable and he did decently at Atlanta so he seems to have improved at least somewhat.

You and your journalists...

Why would they trust journalists? With money on the line lets be blunt - they wont.
Some journalists are reliable, some aren't. You can't seem to differentiate between the two.

With Nuno I think the papers said he was off to Fenebache and so people stopped betting on him, allows the bookies to let the odds increase again - hope to get some suckers who think they know better to put money on it at more enticing odds.
You still don't get it. If Skybet kept getting 'suckers' with 'enticing odds' (such as 12/1) to bet on events that actually may happen, it would be Skybet who would go bankrupt.

It will be entirely data driven, I bet there is very little human interaction to it.
That's definitely not true. It's a combination of data and information they can obtain. I've seen odds change in a flash based on information being released.

I'm aware...

Instead of being unnecessarily patronising why don't you try and understand the point I'm trying to make.
The bookies are in it to make money.
If the odds have changed from 11/10 to 12/1, that is a good indication that Nuno is no longer the favourite, unless they've suddenly decided to act against their financial interests (unlikely).
True, except Nuno not being the favourite has no link to the actual likelihood of him becoming our manager.
Movement in betting odds is essentially just a hedge. Nuno drifting just means punters have piled money into other options, to the extent that the exposure bookies have to Nuno actually becoming our manager is less so they can afford to offer more attractive odds to punters.

Just remember...the house always wins ;)

I cannot see any Premier League club gamble on him after the Palace debacle. But to be fair to him his football with the Netherlands was very enjoyable and he did decently at Atlanta so he seems to have improved at least somewhat.

Our chairman is a fucking idiot though, so don't rule him out. Obviously it would be a mistake.

Nuno drifting just means punters have piled money into other options, to the extent that the exposure bookies have to Nuno actually becoming our manager is less so they can afford to offer more attractive odds to punters.
I just don't think that's the case. Nuno's odds moved from 11/10 to 12/1 almost immediately. There's been no public news recently, so what makes you think punters would pile on the other options?

I'm not saying they don't use data of booking patterns, they definitely do. But I guess they also have other influences, such as journalists with good sources.

characterizing his term at Atlanta as “decent” is generous IMO

Some journalists are reliable, some aren't. You can't seem to differentiate between the two.

You choose who you think is reliable, it doesnt mean they are. Thats the differentiation that bothers me.

Might as well just post your opinion as fact, its the same thing by proxy.

Better to treat all journalists with a very healthy scepticism.

Ali Gold spelled it out well the other day. In attempts to defend himself he basically said he relies on people in any given camp, and how reliable is that really?

You still don't get it. If Skybet kept getting 'suckers' with 'enticing odds' (such as 12/1) to bet on events that actually may happen, it would be Skybet who would go bankrupt.

No, I do.

It will be a combination of bet size and frequency that triggers a response. Risk analysis, simple as that, and with the number of transactions going through these platforms it simply couldnt be done manually - it will be an algorithm and autonomous.

That's definitely not true. It's a combination of data and information they can obtain. I've seen odds change in a flash based on information being released

Is it a response to "information", or to people reacting to said release?

If its "information being released" then they know no more than we do, they just react to it themselves.

I just don't think that's the case. Nuno's odds moved from 11/10 to 12/1 almost immediately. There's been no public news recently, so what makes you think punters would pile on the other options?

I'm not saying they don't use data of booking patterns, they definitely do. But I guess they also have other influences, such as journalists with good sources.

Public news like it being widely reported Nuno was going to Fenebache?

Back
Top Bottom